2012 R51 Suspension Upgrade Needed! Any tips?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

rogo

2012 R51 Suspension Upgrade Needed! Any tips?

Postby rogo » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:02 am

Hello All !

I just bought a 2012 Pathfinder and really need to turn this thing into a Forrest Service Road runner.

It is completely stock right now and I would like to give it more clearance if possible and obsviously a smoother ride for the bumps.

What are the most common parts to replace?
What are the best parts to put in for this application?
Any suggestions on the wheels to go with it?

Thanks in Advance!

Steven

TooMuchControl

Re: 2012 R51 Suspension Upgrade Needed! Any tips?

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:40 pm

Most importantly - alignment.
Before you waste any money on tires/raising the truck/suspension - make sure that your control arms and alignment can be adjusted.

These alignment bolts in mid to north climates, seize. When I say seize - they can not ever, never be removed.
I'm not sure where you live, but this is important.
Most people have to cut the controls arms out with a saw. I cut mine out and purchased controls arms.
I ruined my Yokahamas thinking I could get away with it. Nope.
When you raise this truck you will also have alignment challenges. There are a number of write ups here on it.

Ride:
Smoother ride on the bumps is one tricky thing, let me tell you.
You might spent 2-3 thousand bucks trying to make this smoother. No such thing in my books. It's a truck.
Some may have found the miracle formula for comfort in these, but it's a solid vehicle, that's a truck.

Control Arm Limitations.
When you raise the vehicle on stock control arms, you will most likely get a rougher ride. The stock arms don't really have a wide range of motion, compared to that on a Tacoma. There's a good video on Truck King that shows it.

What I found.
If you want comfort - get a comfort tire.
I have tried Yokahama GEOs, Kumho, and Michelin Winters.

The best ride is with the Michelins - by a mile. Country mile. It's not close. But it's not an agressive tire, so people don't like the look of them on a truck.

Yokohama's are a great all round tire and are solid drivers. They are a good cross between the Michelinc and the Kumho's for me,

Suspension:
I have installed Bilsteins front and back, and must say, they took what appears 10-15k to settle in. I also switched back and forth between KYB and Bilstiens, and I think the Bills, once settled do a better job.

But, like I said. Alignment comes first. You will destroy everything new you put on it, if you can't align it.

Make sure your inner and outer tie rods are in good shape, as part of the alignment. For the few $$ to install new ones, it pays for itself.

1. Alignment
2. Alignment problems? Control arms, tie rods (inner and outer) need to be proper.
3. shocks before tires every time.
4. sway bar bushings. Front and rear along with shocks. Small cost for getting a straight ride.

Not to be meant as a downer.

I have spent and tested much time on this over the past 5 years. Some of it was denial that cost me.
In the end I had to fix everything correctly, and it would have saved me time and a lot of money.

If your control arms and alignment can be done, then you are sailing.

rogo

Postby rogo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:37 pm

This is really good advice, i was wondering why all the mods included the extended arms.

Next question would be to get aftermarket parts or OEM?

I'm gong to to get bils for sure.

Thanks again.

While, you're here, any advice on the cold air intake or cat back delete?

thanks,

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:21 pm

I think some browsing around here will get you some amazing ideas.

We all think these things are real gems when it comes to what you can do and get - parts are reasonable.

Armada swap is the most impressive I've seen - that takes it to a different level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POLgprt ... nsBikeLife

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:11 am

I've heard a ton of great feedback on the Ironman Foam Cell lift kit for the R51. Perfect time to save some money right now too as Ironman has a 25% off deal going on right now throughout their website. Looks like the Foam Cell kit even comes with a pair of recovery boards for free.

I personally have King Shocks coilovers with OME medium rear springs and Nitrocharger shocks on my 2011 on 33" MTs. The OME medium rear springs I feel is a bit too stiff for the factory weight. I have Radflo coilovers with Titan swap in front and Radflo shocks with King Springs(Guessing factory rated since my rear end kind of sags which I'll be swapping out with Ironman heavy springs) on my 2008 on 37" ATs. They're both different and ride differently. My 2011 is more streetable due to a lower lift and smaller tires. My 2008 feels like I'm driving a monster truck and very smooth due to the extra sidewall height. I haven't had a chance to wheel my 2008 yet. It's sitting in the garage getting some preventative maintenance done on it so I can wheel it come late winter or spring.

There's an abandoned 2012 Armada Platinum nearby for $475 that I might get my hands on for parts for my 2008. I just need to convince my brother to let me leave it sitting in his backyard for the next few months until it warms back up so I can tear it down.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:19 pm

Don't hear of too many abandoned Armada's. $475?
Only in the Emirates LOL

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:54 pm

I am partial to my setup (Koni shocks all around) but i can't say i have compared others. If i was to do it again i would probably get the front spacers for the extra little bit and the spc control arms. You didn't say what size wheels you have but if you have the 17's or 18's already that would save you some money.

topic21335.html

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:25 pm

Fantastic thread Fellas.
No other site does this as well as we do. 8)

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”