Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Off Road Performance Comparison

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:25 am

Hi All,

what do you think of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyslBIC ... WL&index=9

It looks to me like the 4Runner has a lift on it. The Nissan looks like it suffers due to poor articulation. and is screaming for a locker or at least a limited slip not sure if the limited would conflict with the virtual locker.

I know there are some threads here on lockers. Not sure I ever say a resolution for that, but unless circumstances change I won't invest in them for my2007 pathfinder.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Off Road Performance Comparison

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:45 pm

yes agreed the 4runner had a lift on it whereas the Pathy was stock.
not quite apples to apples

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:01 am

That's the same type of terrain I wheel my Pathy in. What you saw in that video is factual. The closest competitor in that group would be the Pajero(Montero here in North America) since it has independent suspension also. The Jeep Grand Cherokee also has independent suspension, but I think they come with air lift suspension which is able to adjust the height of the vehicle for more ground clearance and for additional wheel travel like the VW Toureg. The 4runner with solid rear axle is in another league of its own if we're talking off road capability(lifted or not/stock vs stock). Nissan's ABLS isn't quite as sophisticated as other manufacturers' and a limited slip or locker is recommended.

My brother's FJ Cruiser with Toyota's "fancy" A-Trac performs better than the Pathy's ABLS on the same obstacles & trails.

k2sb2003

Postby k2sb2003 » Wed May 03, 2023 11:40 pm

I watched this as well and had some questions.

First off, it seems that the driver of the Black R51 really gave up early on the throttle when he felt slip don't he rocks. Its counter-intuitive to keep on it, but you need to. LOW RANGE is where the Pathys traction control matches A-TRAC. I think there could have been better results considering what mine will do with a 2" lift and 32.8" tires.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon May 22, 2023 9:49 pm

k2sb2003 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:40 pm
I watched this as well and had some questions.

First off, it seems that the driver of the Black R51 really gave up early on the throttle when he felt slip don't he rocks. Its counter-intuitive to keep on it, but you need to. LOW RANGE is where the Pathys traction control matches A-TRAC. I think there could have been better results considering what mine will do with a 2" lift and 32.8" tires.
Totally agree. 8)

Return to “R51 General Chat”