Catalytic Converter replacements & JBA Header Install

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Catalytic Converter replacements & JBA Header Install

Postby blink32 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:14 pm

I had several P codes for emissions over the past year+ and back in September the Right front (pax side) cat finally gave out. It broke up while driving and created enough back pressure to blow out a gasket. Limped it home and that has been all she wrote since then. I had a set of JBA shorty headers hanging around since 2007 so I decided this was finally a good time to do all of this.

Not much to say about the exhaust removal overall. I read SMJ's notes about removing the manifolds. Instead of an airsaw I decided to use a set of Tin Snips to cut the heat shields out. It probably took longer than the saw at about 15 minutes total but essentially zero dust. Just a 4 pack of harbor freight specials with left and right offsets and two straight styles made quick work of it.
mod-blueprint-for-my-2006-le-t12841.htm ... rint%20mod

PSA I purchased a matched pair of "Ultra Power" (BLUEFLOW on the box?) Direct Fit catalytic converters from RockAuto. DO NOT buy this brand The Left/Drivers side comes out perfect. The Right/Passenger side fits but the outlet flange portion is clocked incorrectly by approx 15 deg and directs the piping into the frame rail/AC lines. I tested both the stock mid-pipe and aftermarket doug thorley and neither would fit. Thought maybe it was the JBA's but I remounted the stock CAT and both the stock Mid and DT Mids fit perfectly. Then I reported it as a Manu Defect to RockAuto and requested a replacement part instead of a refund (super stupid, never do this and ALWAYS request a refund) and the second one is the same way. The package the actual part is in is labeled Blueflow so I found their site, appears to be an Alibaba affiliate in China. They don't even list the Passenger side Cat on their website so that tells me it's so terrible they stopped making it. I figured RockAuto, direct fit, good enough. I was wrong.

<Rockauto Rant> I've never had to return a factory defective item before. When you do IF you choose a replacement part instead of a refund you have to create a new order for the replacement part and pay for it first then you return the bad part and after inspection you get a refund. Not great but I understand the liability and exposure of just sending out parts. The problem is this replacement process links the two orders together, the part on the original order gets linked to the replacement order and the "Arrange a Return/Report a Problem" button is a flipped to "Request Warranty Replacement" then from the NEW order history is where you generate the actual return and refund. So now you effectively locked out the refund option on the first order and used the option on the Second order to get the refund for the first order. In my case the 2nd CAT is also defective and there is no way to initiate a return on the second part. I am attempting to deal with this with RockAuto directly.
Attachments
stock_cat_bpipe.jpg
Stock Cat to Stock BPipe. Can see there is a gap between the black plastic deal and the piping
heat_shields.jpg
Chopped up heatshields
cat_out3.jpg
Can see how CAT is off center of heat shield and pointing towards black plastic a bit.
cat_out2.jpg
Can see how CAT is off center of heat shield and pointing towards black plastic a bit.
cat_out1.jpg
after_cat_bpipe.jpg
Aftermarket cat outlet bend, Stock Bpipe trying to mate but pressing on the black plastic in the upper left corner of picture.
bad_kitty.jpg
broken up cat

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Catalytic Converter replacements & JBA Header Install

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:28 pm

I am sorry you are having such difficulties. :?

In the meantime let me ask the Elephant in the room:
-you are confident the engine has had no damage from the disintegrating cat?
Its not an uncommon issue
Did you get a chance to check compression?

PS: yes, Rockauto is good at getting parts cheaply. But service is nonexistent, their lean businessmodel make sit necessary.
Totally agree always get a refund not a replacement.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:44 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:28 pm
A girl can dream right? :) I wasn't doing any hard driving (towing, hills etc) when it happened and I took it straight off the road. Def agree and anything is possible but for right now everything *seems* ok and I will continue down my repair process checking after I get things hooked up. I figure worst case is I'll end up parting it out things go sideways and other than the cats I already had the parts. We'll see what happens

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:26 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:28 pm
Good call out on this by the way.

And surprisingly a positive outcome with RockAuto. I was expecting to end up stuck and being forced to do a charge back on the credit card which was not a desired because I do like them as a retailer, noone near me had any sub-$800 options for this. Thankfully I found an email address ([email protected]) through Google searches (could not find this information anywhere on their websites or any of my previous emails but perhaps I just didn't see it), drafted an email with the order information and situation and today I have a return shipping label that I can get the part back to them for a refund.

The one time I decided to go for a lower end part and it got me. Hopefully this alternate, more costly name brand will fit better. I'd like to be done with this project.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”