radiator bypass

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

PYROtheNomadR51

radiator bypass

Postby PYROtheNomadR51 » Tue May 16, 2023 6:29 pm

I recently went outside to check what parts i needed to do the radiator bypass on my pathy. i took the front skid plate off and to my surprise the bypass had already been done. I know it wasnt a previous owner because it was originally my mom's car and she bought it brand new in 05. I know the car's service history and haven't heard anything about the bypass. maybe it was a recall that i was unaware of when my mom owned it but the bypass just feels a little too makeshift to be something a dealer did. The only time the car has been serviced anywhere other than the dealership has been brake jobs. at least that I know of. And I can say with 100% certainty that my mom did not do it either. any ideas on how it got done?

mdmellott

Re: radiator bypass

Postby mdmellott » Tue May 16, 2023 8:03 pm

That is very strange. Nissan never did issue a recall on those faulty radiators. Consumers are still covering the expense of putting in a radiator bypass, external transmission coolers, and radiator replacements. The dealerships have no mandate to do what you have seen and I doubt a dealership or any other automotive mechanic would put in the bypass without permission. The liability is not worth it. That is very strange not knowing who did this. :?:

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue May 16, 2023 11:24 pm

At the end of the day, it's done and it most likely saved your Mom's transmission as well as saving you time. Otherwise, unless you believe in the supernatural, most likely a mechanic beat you to it.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun May 21, 2023 5:02 pm

almost 20 years is a long time.

I'm not sure how verse our mom is on auto mechanics, but it could have been a preventative deal that someone took care of on a head-bob, 15 years ago.

In any case, a gift.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon May 22, 2023 9:43 pm

PYROtheNomadR51 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:29 pm
I recently went outside to check what parts i needed to do the radiator bypass on my pathy. i took the front skid plate off and to my surprise the bypass had already been done. I know it wasnt a previous owner because it was originally my mom's car and she bought it brand new in 05. I know the car's service history and haven't heard anything about the bypass. maybe it was a recall that i was unaware of when my mom owned it but the bypass just feels a little too makeshift to be something a dealer did. The only time the car has been serviced anywhere other than the dealership has been brake jobs. at least that I know of. And I can say with 100% certainty that my mom did not do it either. any ideas on how it got done?
Could you take some pics?
Trying to make sure the factory external tranny cooler didnt misdirect you. :)

Just to make sure... :wink:

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”