R51 suspension upgrade after 160k kilometers

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

RobS

R51 suspension upgrade after 160k kilometers

Postby RobS » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:20 pm

Hi all, and sorry if this is a simple question :)

I have a 2011 2.5 diesel r51. Love it.

Front spring cracked. All other seem ok but I reckon it’s worth replacing all, front and rear, as all is original from build and I expect nearing their life limits … no ?

I use the vehicle for light towing … max bikes … and for light off road on rough roads but not true off road. 90% spent on road. So I’m not looking for hard enduro stuff !! 😁 I have 30mm spacers fitted to give me some lift and I have General Grabber AT3 265/70R17 fitted.

I want to renew the front shocks/coils and the rear. What’s a good brand/mix to fit with a mind to a modest cost but good performance/durability

Grateful for all and any advice

Xx

RobS

Re: R51 suspension upgrade after 160k kilometers

Postby RobS » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:28 pm

Ooops … I should clarify … I want to renew springs and shocks all round … and mx bikes plus trailer not ‘max’ bikes … doh, stupid auto correct !

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:26 pm

If they're available where you are, the Moog springs are enough of a spring rate increase to correct the sag in the rear, mostly mitigate the need for Airlift bags, and provide negligible (0.5" - 0.75") lift at both ends. They're also heavier gauge wire and so theoretically would last longer...not that coil springs die that much.

I don't offroad beyond occasional dirt roads and have no desire to lift my truck. But really love the Moog springs. I put in new Airlift bags with the new coil springs, but haven't used them much at all. With the original springs, always had 5-7 psi in them.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:32 am

I would say if you looking to keep stockish ride height almost anything should be better then Nissan OEM springs. For a lift it may be region specific.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”