Engine smokes when going up hill

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mpilihp

Engine smokes when going up hill

Postby mpilihp » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:50 pm

So its a 2005 v6 auto tranny with less than 125k miles.

Never had an issue, we do not live in an area with really steep terrain but are on a trip in the south with inclines of greater than 7 to 15 percent.

When we go up these steep inclines it starts smoking and smelling like engine oil burning. When I stop it appears to be coming from under the car in the back. NOTE, the exhaust does have leak so thinking it's coming out of that.

I wondering if the issue is the valve stem seals on the most rear cylinders are cracked/leaking and when going steep uphill the oil is all going to the back of the top of the heads and leaking down in??

Looking for advice on what could be causing this.

Thank you

Phil

VStar650CL

Re: Engine smokes when going up hill

Postby VStar650CL » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:41 pm

Could just be an oil leak at the back of a rocker cover hitting a manifold or cat, exacerbated by the fact that the exhaust gets hotter under load. I'd give the covers a very thorough leak inspection before condemning anything inside the engine. Use UV dye if necessary, so nothing can hide.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:31 am

mpilihp wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:50 pm
So its a 2005 v6 auto tranny with less than 125k miles.

Never had an issue, we do not live in an area with really steep terrain but are on a trip in the south with inclines of greater than 7 to 15 percent.

When we go up these steep inclines it starts smoking and smelling like engine oil burning. When I stop it appears to be coming from under the car in the back. NOTE, the exhaust does have leak so thinking it's coming out of that.

I wondering if the issue is the valve stem seals on the most rear cylinders are cracked/leaking and when going steep uphill the oil is all going to the back of the top of the heads and leaking down in??

Looking for advice on what could be causing this.

Thank you

Phil
Phil any update?

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:20 am

My 2008's valve cover gaskets were all cracked up when I did mines recently. Yours is most likely in the same condition or worst since yours is older.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:49 pm

I would bet that it is your valve cover gasket(s). Let me tell you a story about why this must be so.

I took my 2007 v6 pathy to the dealership for something (forgot what). They told me my valve cover gaskets where leaking. So I ordered replacements and put them in. All seemed well. Later, I took my kids to over for grandma care. They have a driveway with a slope. Not long but maybe 20 degrees up. You can probably guess what happened. Thats right, when I pulled up the driveway the oil leaked out the back of the valve cover gasket and landed on the exhaust and smoked like hell. Scared me a bit so I jumped out and pulled the kids out of the car. Turns out when I installed the gaskets at least one side fell out of the grove in the cover and let oil pour out.

So you drive up a hill and it starts smoking... probably leaking out the back of your valve cover gasket. Also, if you do your own, put a dab of gasket sealant stuff in a few key spots so it doesn't fall out of the grove in the value cover when you install yours.

Or end up like me,... made fun of by your wife and in-laws. DOH!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”