Camshaft position sensor

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

montanacruiser

Camshaft position sensor

Postby montanacruiser » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:57 am

Hi all hope you all can help me out a little. I have a 2005 pathfinder. I have been having this issue where the truck will just die all of a sudden. Also have longer than normal cranks to start. From the research I have done it looks like I may have a bad Camshaft position sensor. Unfortunately I have no codes. Hopefully you guys can confirm my suspicions. Also is OEM sensors going to be the best way to go?
Thanks

bozoneX

Re: Camshaft position sensor

Postby bozoneX » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:04 pm

Start by cleaning your battery terminals, it can make some odd conditions and is easy. Then you've got fuel and air. Is the air filter super duper plugged up or been replaced by a squirrel nest? Probably not, but it's free to check. Fuel pumps can go bad in Pathfinders but it's rare. OEM/Hitachi are the way to go for cam and crank sensors, they usually throw a code or VDC and slip lights which prevents you from shifting in and out of 4WD but I've heard of cases like yours. I'm guessing if you keep driving it will eventually throw the code, but it sucks wondering when it's going to die!

montanacruiser

Postby montanacruiser » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:12 am

I ended up getting a code and it was the po340 . So Camshaft position sensor on bank 1 passenger side. Does anyone know the OEM part number? I look it up and I am getting two different numbers. 23731-6J90D 23731-6J906
Thanks

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:48 am

montanacruiser wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:12 am
I ended up getting a code and it was the po340 . So Camshaft position sensor on bank 1 passenger side. Does anyone know the OEM part number? I look it up and I am getting two different numbers. 23731-6J90D 23731-6J906
Thanks
Those are equivalent part numbers. 23731-9J90D is a supersession for all of the following numbers, 23731-5M016, 23731-5M010, 23731-6J900, 23731-6J906, 23731-5M015, 23731-6J905, 23731-6J90B.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:14 pm

Amazingly, my 2005 developed this code couple of days ago.
It Stumbled on the highway, kicking off my cruise control, a couple of bucks on shifting. I thought it was going to throw me into a limp mode.

Swapped out the part with the Hitachi (CPS0008).

Easy swap, actually, though that damn connector gave me heck for about 30 minutes.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:51 am

TooMuchControl wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:14 pm
Amazingly, my 2005 developed this code couple of days ago.
It Stumbled on the highway, kicking off my cruise control, a couple of bucks on shifting. I thought it was going to throw me into a limp mode.

Swapped out the part with the Hitachi (CPS0008).

Easy swap, actually, though that damn connector gave me heck for about 30 minutes.
Watch out the oher side is next :P
On ym Xterras 4.0L I had one bank of CPS go and 6 weeks later the other side.

Also to my surpise the hitachi part failed also after 6 weeks and had to be replaced even though thats supposed to be the highest quality supplier short of buying it at the dealer.

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:50 pm

Good tip!

I went with the Hitachi part as well.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:50 am

Just did this repair on my 2005 Pathfinder with 400k kms on it. This is the first time I've replaced them. I ended up buying the Hitachi sensors through Rockauto, for about $100 for both.

The Hitachi sensors matched up exactly to the sensors I pulled out of my engine. So this confirms they are OEM parts. However, I am fairly certain that the sensors available through the dealer are not Hitachi. I am not sure who made them. But they are built much more heavy duty, similar to the Crankshaft Position Sensor I replaced about 2-3 years ago. They have a metal body on the sensor, instead of plastic. Anyways, ended up doing the repair in about 35 minutes. I used a rubber mat, and placed it on the engine so I could crawl around on top of the engine to get the best angle to remove and reinstall the sensors.

While I was at it, I busted the nipple off of the heater control valve. Ended up buying a new nipple and JB Welding it into place. Apparently you only have to look at that valve the wrong way and it breaks, as the plastic gets brittle over time.

Truck runs great now! Definitely more smooth while driving, and my Fuel Economy seems to also be a little better. I wonder how far off the cam timing needs to be before the ECM throughs a code for this?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:16 am

disallow wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:50 am
Just did this repair on my 2005 Pathfinder with 400k kms on it. This is the first time I've replaced them. I ended up buying the Hitachi sensors through Rockauto, for about $100 for both.

The Hitachi sensors matched up exactly to the sensors I pulled out of my engine. So this confirms they are OEM parts. However, I am fairly certain that the sensors available through the dealer are not Hitachi. I am not sure who made them. But they are built much more heavy duty, similar to the Crankshaft Position Sensor I replaced about 2-3 years ago. They have a metal body on the sensor, instead of plastic. Anyways, ended up doing the repair in about 35 minutes. I used a rubber mat, and placed it on the engine so I could crawl around on top of the engine to get the best angle to remove and reinstall the sensors.

While I was at it, I busted the nipple off of the heater control valve. Ended up buying a new nipple and JB Welding it into place. Apparently you only have to look at that valve the wrong way and it breaks, as the plastic gets brittle over time.

Truck runs great now! Definitely more smooth while driving, and my Fuel Economy seems to also be a little better. I wonder how far off the cam timing needs to be before the ECM throughs a code for this?
Great to see you on here again!
I had work travel recently and zero presence fro over a week so very happy to see the "old hand" minding the store :D

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:41 pm

disallow wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:50 am
I wonder how far off the cam timing needs to be before the ECM throughs a code for this?
Eric O shows that it can be whacked and hacked and not set off codes...his video comes in and around the time you posed this very question. I thought I'd add it here for the fun of it.

this baby was chewed pretty good. I almost think these things are extremely tolerant.
Then again, this is a GM product. Unsure how Nissan resolves to throw codes. Our ECUs could be better programmed and could be less tolerant as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiLLJSp ... oRepairLLC

Return to “R51 Electrical”