Fuel Trim on an '07 Pathfinder?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

NoSo17

Fuel Trim on an '07 Pathfinder?

Postby NoSo17 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:51 am

On the scan tool I'm using (XTool A30D) the live data readout looks different than I've seen on other tools. Does anyone know how to interpret these values and which would correspond to short and long term fuel trims? Trying to diagnose a recurring P2A00 code. Thanks!
LiveData.png

VStar650CL

Re: Fuel Trim on an '07 Pathfinder?

Postby VStar650CL » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:50 pm

Nissan calls fuel trim A/F-alpha, so readings 2 and 3 are your STFT. Number 1 is the fuel injector base opening time in milliseconds. Numbers 4~5 are voltages from the A/F Sensors (front O2's). Those are wideband with a 2.2V base voltage, lower is rich and higher is lean. Readings 6~7 are the PWM percentage for the sensor heaters, the ECM changes that to keep a constant amount of current flowing through each heater. Readings 8~9 should be the long term A/F-alpha, equivalent to LTFT. Your bank2 shows overtopped, but I think your scanner is screwing something up because 1) P2A00 is a bank1 code, and 2) the LTFT should only go to +/-25%, just like the STFT. So I wouldn't trust either of those readings. The voltage reading for your bank1 A/F looks normal, so you're probably chasing either an exhaust leak or a bad rear O2 on bank1. The ECM on R51's compares the front and rear sensors for correspondence, so a problem with a rear O2 can fool the ECM and make it think the A/F is misbehaving. Have an assistant partially block the exhaust and look for pinhole leaks in either the manifold near the front A/F or the exhaust flange near the rear O2, either of those will introduce extra oxygen and make the ECM see things. If you don't find anything there, scan your rear O2 and make sure it's reading around 0.6V warm, if it's way lower (0.1~0.3V) then try a new rear sensor. Clear out the LTFT after any repair, P2A00 is a wonky code that may not clear if the LTFT is left in a very rich state.

TooMuchControl

Re: Fuel Trim on an '07 Pathfinder?

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:11 pm

I'm nota master tech by any means, but I think my points below are correct,

A low voltage in S2 could simply mean an extended lean condition, with a failing A/F sensor, too.
You would see this in trim data where the LTFT would have long negatives, while your A/F sensor is stating it's in stoich balance.

You can wake up a S2 sensor by injecting gas into the intake ahead of the MAF to make sure.

A "good reading" from an A/F ratio sensor could mean it's in balance "with itself" but could be reading inaccurately. It's an easy check to verify A/F resistances at room temperature. Pins 3 and 4 should read somewhere close between 2.9-4 ohms I believe.

All other pin outs should show no continuity (1,2,5,6 to 3) and (1,2,5,6 to 4) - they should be open on the DVM.

Main question is: what quality are the parts in the truck?

Are the A/F sensors something close to OEM (Bosch, Denso, etc).
The MAF sensor. Is it aftermarket or is it a Nissan OEM part? I'm wondering in the chase of an issue, a non OEM part has been installed.
OEM may matter in a diagnosis. An inaccurate or a dirty MAF should be considered.

Nissan has a service procedure to detect a fuel delivery issue, by running the engine at a high rpm for 15 mins (2500-3000 rpm) after the MAF reset.

Unplugging the MAF sensor and resetting that code, should clear the trims and learned parameters, I believe.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”