Car Camping

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Joely_Bland

Car Camping

Postby Joely_Bland » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:34 am

Hi

Just wondering has anyone done any car camping in the Nissan Pathfinder? It looks as if the back seats lay completely flat so I’m thinking whether you could lay a foam topper/air mattress on this

Cheers

grm3

Re: Car Camping

Postby grm3 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:32 am

Not camping, but when we road trip with the dogs, I fold down the middle and driver side rear seats and throw the dog beds in there. They love it!
The cargo area with rear seats folded is pretty flat/level, and there's even flaps on the back of the rear seats that unfold to cover the crevice between the second and third rows.

bozoneX

Postby bozoneX » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:43 pm

I prefer to set up a tent when I can, but if it's downpouring or we are boondocking it works fine. Probably depends on how tall you are and how many people.

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:03 pm

The few guys that sleep in their Pathy, I've seen them literally take out the 2nd and 3rd row seats completely and they built their "bed" platform with sheets of plywood. I personally haven't done it since all my trips are a 1 day outing currently. I've thought about picking up an 18-21 ft off road capable trailer or an old school Toyota motorhome for overlanding or camping trips.

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:35 am

if you fit back there it should be just fine. go forth!

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:34 pm

I have done this for a few months in the past. For long term like that removing the middle row and replace with a custom platform would be best for storage.

For just a few weeks, take out all three of the middle row seat bottoms only. 2 screws each at the pivot points. If you leave them in, when you lift them up to lay down the backs it creates a half wall between the front and rear. It also takes up 6-8 inches of rear floor length.

Taking them out and laying the seats flat should make it comfortable for someone up to around 6’5 or a little less to lie down in the back. For a bed I wanted a 4” foam but couldn’t find one I was willing risk buying so I ended ordering a 6” but ending up with an 8” twin. I removed all the coverings and cut it down to fit between the wheel wells. But I recommend matching the entire contours in the back vs cutting the same amount off top to bottom. Not shaping it leaves decent gaps by the rear side doors.

I’m not into air mattresses

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:28 am

I laid down in the back before. it was nice.
Only short time though no long term camping or homelessness :lol:
BUt as i am heavy I feel as if I am breaking the plastic a bit.
for a regular sleep arrangement definetly a sheet of plywood to remove high pressure points that could crack the plastic.
and a comforter over it for ym comfort.
On long winter drives i always pack 2 or 3 comforters just in case.
(but not plywood sheet yet)

Return to “R51 General Chat”