Autoline Smoke Machine - hunt for leaks

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

TooMuchControl

Autoline Smoke Machine - hunt for leaks

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:09 pm

Decided to purchase the Autloline Smoke Evap Machine (Economy Series) after some research. Bought from Amazon.

I tend to get bored and I tend to overthink issues, but, I also am interested in tools that I could use to detect issues. I've sensed that Ive had something going on with my exhaust recently, so I thought getting this machine would be far more useful than blowing air up the pipes and using soapy water to find leaks. Smoke is such an easy thing to see in a dark space.....

AutoLine Pro Battery Powered Automotive Smoke Machine Leak Detector EVAP Vacuum Diagnostics Tester | Economy Series | Made in The USA

Seems there are an endless number of companies selling these types of machines now, and some with built in pumps and other that need to be set up with a stand alone compressor.

I chose this model based on some video research that high pressure from some of the self powered units could cause damage to systems, and since I have a small pancake compressor, this works for me.
It being USA made, and some good parts in the kit, I decided to give this a go.

My first time using these machines.

On the intake side:
I found that my lower blow-by hose was cracked right open underneath the engine cover, driver's side at the valve cover. Part #11826-EA200 ordered from Nissan. Looks like a common 5/8 ID hose, but I decided to get the Nissan moulded piece.

Exhaust:
A rather large leak was found at the rear muffler to tail connection, where the 2.5 clamp holds the two pieces together. It was just seeping out from there from an slipped clamp. The carriage bolt opening in the band had rotted out, and it caused the clamp to clip/loosen.

Another leak was found at the weld connections between my passenger rear cats and the muffler. I will have to get them sealed/welded before winter, or the salt will just eat the openings alive.

To note, this system pushes out only 1 psi through a regulator.
I would have thought that this isn't enough to do or show much - but it does wonderfully and the small leaks "whistle" out smoke. If you can get inside your garage with the light off, and use a flashlight - it's the best.

all in all, a basic, simple machine that is very useful to detect and isolate any intake leaks or exhaust leaks.
runs off the car battery. Other models have a built in pump.

Highly recommend for the $90 USD this little unit costs. It doesn't look like much once you get it, but, it's simple and it works perfectly.

Not sure if we can upload a video here, or I would do so, to show the tests.

not selling any product, just show casing that good small tools go a long way. This tool allowed for me to check for problems myself, and decide how best to go about fixing them.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Autoline Smoke Machine - hunt for leaks

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:21 pm

Wow thats incredible!
You should post a vid of it in action! 8)

VStar650CL

Postby VStar650CL » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:47 pm

Sounds like an excellent tool for the price, especially considering the guessing games you sometimes get into with the codes on Nissan evap systems. Pro tip, though -- the best tool for exhaust leaks is a rag over the end of the pipe and an ear under the car. Even pinholes turn into boom-boom-boom. :wink:

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:16 pm

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:47 pm
Sounds like an excellent tool for the price, especially considering the guessing games you sometimes get into with the codes on Nissan evap systems. Pro tip, though -- the best tool for exhaust leaks is a rag over the end of the pipe and an ear under the car. Even pinholes turn into boom-boom-boom. :wink:
Good tip!

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:16 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:21 pm
Wow thats incredible!
You should post a vid of it in action! 8)
How to post a video?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”