Oil Change 5 miles ago : )

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Oil Change 5 miles ago : )

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:21 am

With Mobil 1, 0w-40.
Originally was not a fan of either M1 or any oil with that big a spread.

But M1 has gone back to PAO base lube stocks in past decade and the new (as in past 5 yrs) 0w-40 apperantly has such a good base stock it does not need much VII ( viscosity index improvers) to spread all the way from 0w- to 40.

So long story short,it is one of my go to oils now as it also meets ACEA A3 (one of the best Euro specs thats not manufacturer specific).
Prevouisly I had been partial to Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 and the follow on Valvoline Synthetic 5w-40 (meet ACEA A3) and veven Valvoline high milage syn in 10w-30.

Used a Mobil 1 filter, its a good filter, on the other hand I know that nowadays there are equal filters out there for less money, but a buddy of mine has expressed some interest in buying this car so I wanted to tell him Mobil 1 filter is on it, which he would trust.

This was almost exactly 5000 miles a mix of hiway and intown drving.
Oil was fairly dark at this point, but not over the top black. 8)

TooMuchControl

Re: Oil Change 5 miles ago : )

Postby TooMuchControl » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:13 pm

you are a hero!
Interesting that you've dropped into the 0W-40 category.

This oil has "Nissan Genuine Performances" approval on the M1 Website.
Unsure what this specifically means.

In that 0W spec, would it have a higher detergent package to goes with? I'm assuming that Euro specs drive the bus in this requirement, and those diesels?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:55 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:13 pm
you are a hero!
Interesting that you've dropped into the 0W-40 category.

This oil has "Nissan Genuine Performances" approval on the M1 Website.
Unsure what this specifically means.

In that 0W spec, would it have a higher detergent package to goes with? I'm assuming that Euro specs drive the bus in this requirement, and those diesels?
its long life approved in Europe. so it must have durable detergent package but I doubt its a drive-clean type oil, which would take too mch base stock away from lubrication which is neccessary for it to meet ACEA A3.
As for as the 40 part of the spec its a bit on the thinner part of the 40 range.

I am big proponent of the underdog though and buying the market leader never sits well with me, even if I like the oil.
Will likely pick up a 5w-40 Valvoline next time (also ACAE A3), I like to rotate detergent packages anyway to expose deposits to a variety of detergents. :)

TooMuchControl

Postby TooMuchControl » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:13 pm

I like to rotate detergent packages anyway to expose deposits to a variety of detergents. :)
I have done this for many years, I've landed on the M1 now.

I was really disappointed in purchasing Kirkland a couple of years ago (seemed to burn off quite a bit) and have stuck to the M1 since.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:18 pm

TooMuchControl wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:13 pm
I was really disappointed in purchasing Kirkland a couple of years ago (seemed to burn off quite a bit) and have stuck to the M1 since.
Sad to hear but good info.
(next oil change Valvoline Syn HM 10w-40 or Valvoline Syn 5w-40)

AS_The_Crow_Flys

Postby AS_The_Crow_Flys » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:42 am

TooMuchControl wrote:
I have been using Kirkland as well and haven't noticed any issues like that. Curious why your using 0w-40 though, is that V8 thing because I thought the v6 called for 30 weight. Also, i believe that bumping up to thicker oil will cause less of it to burn off (e.g., less gets past the piston rings etc. In fact, I always thought this was the reason you might use a thicker oil (e.g., a worn engine burning too much oil).

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:11 pm

AS_The_Crow_Flys wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:42 am
TooMuchControl wrote:
I have been using Kirkland as well and haven't noticed any issues like that. Curious why your using 0w-40 though, is that V8 thing because I thought the v6 called for 30 weight. Also, i believe that bumping up to thicker oil will cause less of it to burn off (e.g., less gets past the piston rings etc. In fact, I always thought this was the reason you might use a thicker oil (e.g., a worn engine burning too much oil).
This particular oil has a good HTHS (HiTemp/HiSher) number, plus it starts up very thin, plus it meet Euro long life specs while meeting Euro performance specs ( ACAE A3)
very few oils that are not 40 weights can meet ACAE A3.
8)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”