R50 Electrical Quirks and mysteries

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

nowherepathy

R50 Electrical Quirks and mysteries

Postby nowherepathy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:27 pm

Hey all,

This year bought a used 2003 R50 Pathfinder, LE with only 196,000 km. It has in fantastic condition rust wise and after replacing the valve cover gaskets, oil cooler gaskets, rear main seal, the solenoid pack in the transmission, a thermostat, and loctiting the powervalve screws it is great mechanical condition as well. The only downside is that it burns a lot of fuel but I guess that's what you get with a big SUV. :roll:
One issue that has been lurking around, however, is weird electrical quirks. Like sometimes the rear windshield wiper works, but mostly it doesn't. Sometimes the front windshield wipers will actuate when you spray fluid and sometimes they don't. The radio semi worked in the past and now it doesn't even turn on anymore. When you lock the car the lights usually flash but then occasionally they don't. The fog lights don't work but they could be burnt, haven't checked. And then most recently the front left marker light doesn't light when all the lights are on but it works when the left blinker is actuated, which based on my understanding the marker and blinker is one bulb with one filament so there is something weird with the circuit as all the other lights work. Also occasionally an alarm will go off in the car for a while after start up when its driven for like 30 sec but I'm not sure what its for as we usually have our seatbelts on, and it doesn't always happened. The only code on the computer is P0462 for a faulty fuel sensor which I know doesn't work. Not sure if its related but from my understanding is common and a separate issue.
Not sure if electrical quirks are common for this car of if they can be traced to single faulty connector somewhere, or if its a computer issue. Or maybe a widespread corrosion issue? The car is clean with no rust though, everything comes apart nicely.
Any thoughts or suggestions where to start would be appreciated. :D
Luke

mdmellott

Re: R50 Electrical Quirks and mysteries

Postby mdmellott » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:18 pm

Yikes! Too many quirks to know where to begin. However, most have them have the steering column in common. In that, the lights and wiper function switches are all on the steering column. Even the head unit has switches in the steering wheel. I would start by taking the covers off from around the steering column, behind the steering wheel to see how cruddy the switch assemblies look. There could be a mess of yuck shorting a number of electrical contacts in those multi-function lever arm switch assemblies.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”