05 Pathfinder Passenger Airbag Light

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

05pathymississippi

05 Pathfinder Passenger Airbag Light

Postby 05pathymississippi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:32 am

Hi All. New member here. I find this place so useful. I just purchased a 2005 Pathfinder about 3 weeks ago. I got paranoid about the radiator trans cooler so I've already replaced the radiator with an aftermarket unit. I have the rear cupholder issue as well and will be fixing that soon with a new one from Courtesy Parts. However, I do have one problem that I've noticed. When I am alone in the vehicle, the Passenger Airbag Off light stays illuminated. When my wife sits in the passenger seat, the light will go off like the airbag is now activated. I am wondering if I have a problem what the airbag weight sensor on that side or if that light is supposed to be on when nobody sits in that seat. I have placed a heavy book in the seat and the light stays on just like it should. When someone sits in it with the right weight the light goes off. Any suggestions???

Npath

Re: 05 Pathfinder Passenger Airbag Light

Postby Npath » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:27 am

05pathymississippi wrote:Hi All. New member here. I find this place so useful. I just purchased a 2005 Pathfinder about 3 weeks ago. I got paranoid about the radiator trans cooler so I've already replaced the radiator with an aftermarket unit. I have the rear cupholder issue as well and will be fixing that soon with a new one from Courtesy Parts. However, I do have one problem that I've noticed. When I am alone in the vehicle, the Passenger Airbag Off light stays illuminated. When my wife sits in the passenger seat, the light will go off like the airbag is now activated. I am wondering if I have a problem what the airbag weight sensor on that side or if that light is supposed to be on when nobody sits in that seat. I have placed a heavy book in the seat and the light stays on just like it should. When someone sits in it with the right weight the light goes off. Any suggestions???
I think you may have a problem with the air bag. There is a recall on 05+ Pathfinders for a crash sensor where when it gets too rusty, the light or bag will not work properly. Can't remember the exact issue is, but, the light should always remain off unless it senses a child (by weight) is sitting there.

You may have to ask the dealer to look at it for you if that is the issue or not. If not, then you may have to pay for the look. If it is, then you get a free fix, no charge.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:51 am

I believe the light is telling you that the airbag is NOT activated, meaning that it is working like it should, unless I am misunderstanding you. If someone is sitting there, it shouldn't be on.

See excerpt from manual:

Status light
The front passenger air bag status light is
located under the climate controls. The light operates
as follows:
c Unoccupied passenger seat or when other
conditions are met as outlined in this section:
The illuminates to indicate that
the front passenger air bag is OFF and will
not inflate in a crash.
c Occupied passenger seat and the passenger
meets the conditions outlined in this
section: The light is OFF to indicate
that the front passenger air bag is operational.

05pathymississippi

Postby 05pathymississippi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:45 pm

That's what I was wondering, if I needed to take it to the dealer to look at it or if it's supposed to be on like that. The light is on when nobody is sitting in that seat.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:30 pm

i thought the light comes on if no one is in the seat or if a child is in the seat. And once some one over a certain weight sits in it the light goes off indicating that the passenger air bag is on.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:31 pm

me&pathy wrote:i thought the light comes on if no one is in the seat or if a child is in the seat. And once some one over a certain weight sits in it the light goes off indicating that the passenger air bag is on.
You are correct, light on=no one in seat=deactivated, light off=someone sitting or something 75lbs or bigger on seat=activated.

Note-im only assuming 75lbs cause its the same in my I370/chevey colorado.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:56 pm

xd9-g19 wrote:
me&pathy wrote:i thought the light comes on if no one is in the seat or if a child is in the seat. And once some one over a certain weight sits in it the light goes off indicating that the passenger air bag is on.
You are correct, light on=no one in seat=deactivated, light off=someone sitting or something 75lbs or bigger on seat=activated.

Note-im only assuming 75lbs cause its the same in my I370/chevey colorado.
that sounds about right same in the g35 and the matrix

05pathymississippi

Postby 05pathymississippi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks for the help guys. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious with the SRS system. I think I'm just gonna live with it until something else happens. If I get annoyed about it, electrical tape works wonders.

canadasnow

Postby canadasnow » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 am

Hi Guys,

I have developed a similar problem, but more odd. Sometime the light is on (when no one is sitting in the front seat) and sometimes it is off. It is never illuminated when someone is sitting in the passenger seat....but it varies from on or off when no one is sitting in the passenger seat. Is this normal? What do yours do?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:30 am

curt.beggs wrote:Hi Guys,

I have developed a similar problem, but more odd. Sometime the light is on (when no one is sitting in the front seat) and sometimes it is off. It is never illuminated when someone is sitting in the passenger seat....but it varies from on or off when no one is sitting in the passenger seat. Is this normal? What do yours do?
The light should be off when someone of sufficient weight is sitting in the seat.

I don't know if anyone recalls Fords from the 01-03 vintage, you could turn off the passenger airbag using your ignition key. Now that functionality is automatic.

Sometimes, when my dog comes for a ride, she doesn't quite put her weight on the seat properly, and it makes the light come on. She is 85lbs, I think the trigger is 50lbs.

t

canadasnow

Postby canadasnow » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:01 am

Thanks....just not sure why then this is the first time i have seen it come on.

canadasnow

Postby canadasnow » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 am

Hey Guys,

My passanger side airbag light has not re-appeared. But in the midst of all of this i made an appointment with my local Nissan dealer here in Ontario Canada.
He told me that there was a recall on the light and my vehcile had not had it done yet. However, he indicated the light must be on in order for them to replace the part. Is this true? I read the re-call and it does specify this being done in a few states only, and for other areas the warranty would only be extended.
any thoughts?
Also, the recall indicated the main aribag light would go off....this is my passenger one that is acting up....is this still the same problem as what is being identified in the recall?

alpha

air bag light

Postby alpha » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:26 pm

The dealer should replace it reguardless as there is a recall for the front air bag crash sensor, there's a bulliten on it. I have an 05 le and they did it, I'm out in vancouver, bc

canadasnow

Postby canadasnow » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:48 pm

that what i thought a recall is a recall regardless...odd.. there telling me the air-bag light has to be 'on' for them to change it out?? i might call Nissan direct to see if they can put some pressure on them. thanks for the help. Now i know my local dealership sucks

Junior

Postby Junior » Fri May 20, 2011 2:16 pm

canadasnow wrote:that what i thought a recall is a recall regardless...odd.. there telling me the air-bag light has to be 'on' for them to change it out?? i might call Nissan direct to see if they can put some pressure on them. thanks for the help. Now i know my local dealership sucks
Whatever happened with this....did they fix it? The airbag light in my speedo console just started flashing yesterday regardless of whether someone is sitting in the passenger seat or not.

I have an 08 but it sounds like the same problem.

Thanks

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”