Buying a 99 LE, high miles, maintenance off the bat?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jonnyg83

Buying a 99 LE, high miles, maintenance off the bat?

Postby jonnyg83 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:28 am

Picking up a 99 LE with 122K tomorrow.

Going to drain/refill: engine oil, A/T, transfer, differentials.

Going to check plugs

Any other recommendations? Brand of Fluids? Always used Castrol in my volvo and use Mobile-1 Synth in my Acura...

Lastly - I picked up a factory service manual from Ebay, cover says for Serial Numbers 350001 and up...mine is 307XXX...is this manual going to be relevant?

Thanks,

Jon

Ravie

Postby Ravie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:48 am

well jon i just picked up the same truck mines has 94k on it and i went to the dealer and spoke with the service manager i ask him about ATF and engine oil to use and he told me with the miles the truck has it's a good idea to use the nissan fluid for the trani and get mobil 1 full synth for the engine 10w30, mines already have the plugs replaced but it's a good idea, also front and rear diff, check the condition of the air filter, brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant change if needed and see if the fuel filter need to be replaced, one other thing you can do is to get some sort of injector cleaner i used zmax on mines well good luck oh THIS IS JUST MY OPENION GUYS

Northeaster

Postby Northeaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Has the timing belt ever been changed? That would be the 1st thing I did, if it hasn't! If it goes, you are in ti some serious engine bucks. - smashed off valves, etc.

I am not a mechanic, but have always heard that it was bad to change to synthetic oil on an older engine. I would just use regular oil and change it regularly.

jonnyg83

Postby jonnyg83 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:50 pm

The belt is new...

The concern around switching to synth at high mileage is a potential for oil leaks. So far, no leaks.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”