chains

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

guinnessjim

chains

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:20 am

any one have any recommendations for chains? would like to get them before christmas travels through CO (LV to ft. collins and then back thru durango).

pbby have to order them as i don't know of any place in LV that carries them. it's the trip to dgo that i really would like to have them for, so picking them up in denver or FC area is also an option.

any recommendations as to models or sources?

thanks for any info.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: chains

Postby NVSteve » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:21 pm

guinnessjim wrote:any one have any recommendations for chains? would like to get them before christmas travels through CO (LV to ft. collins and then back thru durango).

pbby have to order them as i don't know of any place in LV that carries them. it's the trip to dgo that i really would like to have them for, so picking them up in denver or FC area is also an option.

thanks for any info.
Jim, I have to be honest in saying that if I'm ever on a paved road that is so bad that I'd consider chains, then I probably wouldn't continue driving on it. I've never used chains on a 4x4-on pavement. Forunately for those of us living in the west, we don't get that horrible ice like they do east of the Rockies. Anyway, CO doesn't have any mandatory chain requirements for all vehicles, just the 2 wheel drive variety. Still, I can see how chains would give you a bit more confidence on the road. I can't really offer any suggestions since it's been so long since I've bought any for a 4x4. I did end up buying the gf some chains for her Jetta a couple years ago (that still have not seen any use) since she drives up a really bad canyon to ski every Friday. Those were Thule CB12 chains. Not cheap, if memory serves, but they were fairly well reviewed.

Which roads are you taking to Ft. Fun (Collins)? I-15 up to I-70?

guinnessjim

Re: chains

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:34 pm

NVSteve wrote:
guinnessjim wrote:any one have any recommendations for chains? would like to get them before christmas travels through CO (LV to ft. collins and then back thru durango).

thanks for any info.
Jim, I have to be honest in saying that if I'm ever on a paved road that is so bad that I'd consider chains, then I probably wouldn't continue driving on it. I've never used chains on a 4x4-on pavement. Forunately for those of us living in the west, we don't get that horrible ice like they do east of the Rockies. Anyway, CO doesn't have any mandatory chain requirements for all vehicles, just the 2 wheel drive variety. Still, I can see how chains would give you a bit more confidence on the road. I can't really offer any suggestions since it's been so long since I've bought any for a 4x4. I did end up buying the gf some chains for her Jetta a couple years ago (that still have not seen any use) since she drives up a really bad canyon to ski every Friday. Those were Thule CB12 chains. Not cheap, if memory serves, but they were fairly well reviewed.

Which roads are you taking to Ft. Fun (Collins)? I-15 up to I-70?
yeah...i never have put chains on a 4x4 on pavement either, but figured i would look around at the options. not really concerned about the drive to FC (yeah, I-15 to 70, etc.) although i did get stuck in a bitch of a storm last time i drove over vail pass (was driving my 92 4-runner w/ a new set of yoko geo II+'s...truck had never been out of soCal....super impressed w/ the tires which is why i went w/ the new A/T-S for my pathy).

it's actually the trip down to durango i'd like the security blanket for (either way i go i have a significant pass or two to deal w/...climax to leadville and then wolf creek pass or to ouray and over the million dollar hwy). don't have much time to see everyone; hate to get bogged down by some weather where chains might be the difference between go or no go. esp w/ my gf and the dogs w/ me.

if i see a good deal on chains somewhere, i guess i'd like to have them in my road kit....even if not for this trip.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:47 pm

You have big dogs. I assume you also have, or can get, rope. Dogsleds are pretty much the same as Pathfinders with wheels, so I think you're set-no need to buy chains :lol: .

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:51 pm

I drove from Vancouver, BC to Anaheim through Seattle and Portland for Christmas last year. We just happened to drive into the eye of a snow storm. I pulled into a Les Schwab store to get some chains and was met by a 2 hour lineup. All snow tires were sold out and the chains were selling just as fast. I bought a set of snow cables. The install was very simple but the cold and snow made it a pain in the neck. From my experience last year I learned that if I have to put on chains to drive on the highway, then it's WAY too snowy and icy.

Once you put the chains on your vehicle, the maximum speed you can do is about 20 miles per hour. The you can hear the chains resonate throughtout the car and if the're loose at all, they will bang agains the inner wheel wells.

All in all, the chains came in handy to get over the really bad sections of the higher passes throughout Washington and Oregon as well as Norther Cali., but I had to take them off and put them back on way too many times. It's not fun trying to put them on or take them off every fifteen minutes, in freezing temperatures. Also you can't drive with the chains/cables on bare asphalt.

Hope this helps you,

:wink:

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:14 pm

SPICOLI wrote:Hope this helps you
thanks for the tips.

however, i am more than acquainted w/ chaining up (grew up driving 1960s era VWs in the mts of northern NM). used chains almost every winter weekend to get up to the ski hill :D assuming things haven't changed too much in chain technology, i think i can get them on and off pretty fast. regardless, if having them means i have to go 10-20mph for a couple hours over a pass rather than losing a day to a storm, i'll gladly invest some cold fingers and a little time.
NVSteve wrote:You have big dogs. I assume you also have, or can get, rope. Dogsleds are pretty much the same as Pathfinders with wheels, so I think you're set-no need to buy chains
haha! good point.....i'll have to run it by the boys, but they might be up for that

Return to “General Automotive”