Light bulb upgrade

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Claybreaker

Light bulb upgrade

Postby Claybreaker » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:17 am

I have a 2009 Pathfinder SE I would like to have more light while driving. But not do a headlight change out quite yet. Just a bulb upgrade. Which bulbs are best and brightest but still DOT approved. I want to change bulbs in fogs also. Any input would help. I wanted to do a HID upgrade but was told your car had to come from the factory with them or you might be getting some tickets from the local lawman. Thanks.

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:26 am

I use Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for headlights, can't help much with fogs

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 am

I ended up with these from Luminics: http://www.luminicsbulbs.com/titanium_white.php

I didn't buy them straight from the mfr, but I don't have the link to the etailer at work. If I remember, I'll see if I can dig it up at home. In short, there are quite a few options out there to choose from. I originally had the Sylverstars, but they just didn't do much. The Luminics I have are much better (brighter & white light), although I'm sure there are even better bulbs (some, like PIAA, can get very expensive).

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:33 pm

I've used the PIAA Bulbs and they have worked very well... I have them in the headlights and the fogs... You can see them in "View My Album/Mods" in my signature below............. Triffid

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:28 am

Triffid, how long have you had the PIAA'S. What's the life expectancy? I'm on the verge of buying a set, but I would hate to waste $100 if they'll burn out in six months.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 am

SPICOLI wrote:Triffid, how long have you had the PIAA'S. What's the life expectancy? I'm on the verge of buying a set, but I would hate to waste $100 if they'll burn out in six months.
I changed the bulbs within a month of purchasing the truck (almost 5 years ago)... I have replaced (1) headlamp bulb (low beam burned out) about 3 months ago and just changed the fogs to Ion (yellow) bulbs about a month ago (the white PIAA's were still ok)... I pay about $80 for a pair... Hope this helps............. Triffid

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:44 pm

Five years on a set of lightbulbs is pretty good. I was a little concerned with spending $80-100 on lights that would last for 6 months like a pair of Sylvanias that I had on my Mazda Tribute. I guess I'm upgrading my lights.
Thanks.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Here's the site where I bought mine:

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com/he ... bulbs/9007

I checked, and it looks like the lights I purchased were the Luminics Krypton Ultra White, $29.99/pair.

Claybreaker

Postby Claybreaker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:53 pm

With the PIAA H11 and 9007 will these lights draw too much current? If so this would damage the lights and wires? The reason I ask is I have seen people talk about this same topic. I do like the PIAA lights. How do your yellow fogs look Triffid ?

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Claybreaker wrote:With the PIAA H11 and 9007 will these lights draw too much current? If so this would damage the lights and wires? The reason I ask is I have seen people talk about this same topic. I do like the PIAA lights. How do your yellow fogs look Triffid ?
As I said before the PIAA's have been in my Pathfinder for almost 5 years now and I have not seen any wiring or lens damage... I have only had (1) low beam burn out (after more than 4 years) and I only changed the fogs to Ion Crystal (yellow) for better performance... The Ion Crystal was not available in H11 when I first installed the bulbs... The yellow seems to work better in the fog and they just look better... Hope this helps............ Triffid

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 am

NVSteve wrote:Here's the site where I bought mine:

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com/he ... bulbs/9007

I checked, and it looks like the lights I purchased were the Luminics Krypton Ultra White, $29.99/pair.
Looks like one of mine is close to death. Started it up for the drive home last night and one of the bulbs was just barely on. It finally hit full brightness maybe 5 minutes later. Same thing this morning, but it took about 10 minutes for it to come on. Guess I'll be ordering new bulbs, and probably not Luminics. I want to say I've only had them about a year.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:26 am

Here's an interesting site that ran a test of various bulbs:

http://www.stylintrucks.com/Articles/09 ... ticle.aspx

I also ran across a site that listed not only the specs of all the different bulbs, but the life expectancy in hours. A bunch of them were only rated for 400 hours or less.

More interesting stuff:

H1 (plain, standard):
1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life:
1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Ultra Long Life (e.g. Osram "Light@Day"):
1430 lumens, 3000 hours

Plus-30 High Efficacy (Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva Rangepower+30, Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium or High Visibility):
1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silver Star):
1750 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-80/90 Mega High Efficacy (Philips Xtreme Power, Osram Night Breaker):
1780 lumens, 340 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania Silver Star or Silver Star Ultra, Wagner TruView, also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, and all the rest of the blue-glass junk):
1380 lumens, 250 hours

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 am

i was on the same mission as you once and i went through about six pairs of bulbs, PIAA, silver stars, and others but before i switched over to HID i went with Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silver Star):
1750 lumens, 350 hours
they were awesome and i think they are the best upgrade you can get for really lighting up the road at night

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:48 pm

cruzstyle wrote:i was on the same mission as you once and i went through about six pairs of bulbs, PIAA, silver stars, and others but before i switched over to HID i went with Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silver Star):
1750 lumens, 350 hours
they were awesome and i think they are the best upgrade you can get for really lighting up the road at night
I ordered up the Philips Xtreme (1780 lumens), which should be here next Monday. If they are truly as good as all the internet postings make them out to be, maybe I'll post up a new thread dedicated to them.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:44 pm

so how are they working out?

Return to “General Automotive”