**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

thompsonrobertw

Help in removing the white lettering on my BFG's

Postby thompsonrobertw » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:01 pm

any one with a how-to for this?

drmayer

Postby drmayer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:20 pm

have the tires turned inside out. It will double as a rotation, too.

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:35 pm

have them re-mounted with the black walls facing out... didnt they ask you which way you wanted them mounted?

thompsonrobertw

Postby thompsonrobertw » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:04 pm

that's how it sat on the show room floor. the tires are assymetrical and aren't supposed to be flipped.

kacjames

Postby kacjames » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 pm

eeehhhuhhhh if you take your left tire and put it on the right rim, the direction of the tire will still the same , and your tire will be on the other side ... i got the same bf goodrich than you and i am sure about this

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:41 am

I have letters out on my BFG's as well. Last Friday I went to Discount Tire for new tires on my other car, and asked about flipping them. Basically $80 to have them do it.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:54 pm

Have you tried Acetone? I haven't tried this but it may take it off because i think the white letters are some type of paint.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:33 pm

GOTGOO wrote:Have you tried Acetone? I haven't tried this but it may take it off because i think the white letters are some type of paint.
Nope, it's not. I thought of trying to simply remove the "paint" too with a razor blade. Just like less the a mm. But its not paint. It's actually white rubber that's pretty thick. Not sure how deep, but at least down to the sidewall, which would mean you'd have to completely cut away the entire letter from the tire. I wasn't willing to try this on mine, hehe..

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:23 pm

G35TR wrote:
GOTGOO wrote:Have you tried Acetone? I haven't tried this but it may take it off because i think the white letters are some type of paint.
Nope, it's not. I thought of trying to simply remove the "paint" too with a razor blade. Just like less the a mm. But its not paint. It's actually white rubber that's pretty thick. Not sure how deep, but at least down to the sidewall, which would mean you'd have to completely cut away the entire letter from the tire. I wasn't willing to try this on mine, hehe..
Don't blame you lol! Well you could use flat black paint... I've never done this to my own car, but i had to do it once because i got silver over spray on a tire while repairing a wheel. Acetone got most of it off, but there were tiny specs down in the letters so thats were the black paint came in couldn't even tell! :lol: Spray them flat black and if you don't like it your out 6 bucks and have to have them flipped around nothing to loose really....

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:23 am

thompsonrobertw wrote:that's how it sat on the show room floor. the tires are assymetrical and aren't supposed to be flipped.
CORRECT!! You can't flip the BFG'S. directional tread. I tried and tire dealer said no.. so I purchased Yokohama tires.

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:02 am

you can have the front right taken off the rim and put on the front left
this will not switch the direction of the tread...do the same with the rear and your white lettering will be on the inside it will cost you from $50-$100 to have this done

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:48 pm

I had BFG A/T's on my CJ7 with the black wall out and white inside. If the dealer said you can't, it may be time to find a new dealership. :lol:

VenezuelanPath

Postby VenezuelanPath » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:19 am

well there is paint that is used to restore the black color of trims parts for cars, this type of spray paint has the feature that is sort of absorbed by plastics,maybe thats your solution, im going to have to do it when i paint my rims.

About the color white of the letters, normal radial tires haver several layers of rubber, and by a process called vulcanization they stick to each other making the molecules attach. Now the natural color of treated rubber is White, the black color is added so dirt, mud, etc dont make the tire look dirty and ugly.

So i think that the rotation layer (the part with the threat) the outside wall and inner part are black, but the between layer is white, this is the layer with the letters, and they just have it on one side.

I hope this helps, im no tre expert or anything like that haha

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:58 am

call a small local tire shop. they may flip your tires around for you fairly cheap. but stick with the little guys. I have found them to be easier to deal with

kacjames

Postby kacjames » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:18 pm

KEVSTER wrote:
thompsonrobertw wrote:that's how it sat on the show room floor. the tires are assymetrical and aren't supposed to be flipped.
CORRECT!! You can't flip the BFG'S. directional tread. I tried and tire dealer said no.. so I purchased Yokohama tires.
What ? I don't mean to be offensive, but think a little bit... you can take the tire you got on your left wheel in your hand , flip it 180 , go on the right side of the car , with the white letters facing the truck , and the tire will be on the same direction it was on the left side ... This is basic basics :) ...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”