08 Path Auto Headlight Sensitivity Adjustment...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Mark72501

08 Path Auto Headlight Sensitivity Adjustment...

Postby Mark72501 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:06 am

As in my sig, I have an 08 LE with the display screen (no nav but display screen) and in the settings menu there is a auto headlight sensitivity adjustment, as many of you know. My question is, from your experience, how do the different settings affect them? The reason I ask is it seems I am having a difficult time figuring out what different each incremental setting makes. For example, currently I have mine on one of the middle 'notches'...but sometimes, when it's a certain amount of daylight outside, such as in the evening when it's getting dark, they will go off and on depending on if I'm in a shadow, etc. I don't want them flashing off and on while I'm going down the road. Which way do I adjust the sensitivity so that they won't do that but will come on when it starts getting dark? Has anyone had experience with this and do you have a good way of explaining what the '-' end means as opposed to the '+' end? I assume the '+' end means more sensitive but does that mean they are more sensitive to the changes in the level of light and come on and off more often or that they are more picky on when they come on?

Maybe no one else has had an issue determining this but it seems I'm having difficult. I like the auto headlight feature (drove a GMC Yukon for 3 years where I never had to turn on the headlights manually) but I don't like them going on and off 6 times in a 1/2 mile stretch as I'm driving through town (yes, that happens...).

Thanks!

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:11 am

So no one has any idea on this? I guess I'm not the only one! But seriously, any experience with this on how you think it works? Thanks!

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:41 am

owners manual..?

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:18 am

KEVSTER wrote:owners manual..?
Yeah, I read there but it didn't clear it up for me...I was hoping someone with more experience with it had a simpler explanation of it...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Mark72501 wrote: Yeah, I read there but it didn't clear it up for me...I was hoping someone with more experience with it had a simpler explanation of it...
Yes, but it isn't what you are looking for. I manually turn them on & off as needed. I've tried the auto in a number of other vehicles aside from the Pathfinder, and have found manually turning them on & off works best for me. Sensors are either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough. With the various lighting conditions throughout the day, I just can't win. I only want lights that come on when the sun goes down, during a storm, etc. If a cloud passing overhead causes them to come on, then it isn't for me. I don't think any amount of sensitivity adjustments will make the lights work when you think they should be working. There are just far too many variables, and one crappy photo sensor.

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:48 pm

NVSteve wrote:
Mark72501 wrote: Yeah, I read there but it didn't clear it up for me...I was hoping someone with more experience with it had a simpler explanation of it...
Yes, but it isn't what you are looking for. I manually turn them on & off as needed. I've tried the auto in a number of other vehicles aside from the Pathfinder, and have found manually turning them on & off works best for me. Sensors are either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough. With the various lighting conditions throughout the day, I just can't win. I only want lights that come on when the sun goes down, during a storm, etc. If a cloud passing overhead causes them to come on, then it isn't for me. I don't think any amount of sensitivity adjustments will make the lights work when you think they should be working. There are just far too many variables, and one crappy photo sensor.
I'm beginning to think that your viewpoint is right. I had a GMC Yukon ('03) before my Path and the auto worked good in it...I only remember having to manually turn them on or off once or twice the few years I owned it, but most all GM vehicles now have the auto headlights and I think they're one auto maker who has it figured out. Having that Yukon previously, I'm accustomed to have some sort of daytime running lights. I've thought about finding something to put over the photo sensor on my Path, set the lights to auto, and just have them on anytime the vehicle is running...I guess going from an '03 Yukon to a vehicle that is newer (my Path) I see manually turning them on and off as a step backward...though I know many, many cars manufactured today still have headlights operated manually.

Oh well...I thought maybe someone had some insight on it.

bigmankz

Postby bigmankz » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:49 am

i have it in auto and don't have sensitivity adjastibility. it works great. I completely forgot now that I have to turn the lights on or off. Sometimes however in the morning th lights turn off and on erratically but most of the time the lights come when I would turn them on and they go off when I would turn them off.

Flick

Postby Flick » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:32 pm

Mine are set on full + sensitive and they work perfect they come on at dusk and never turn on and off except in parking garages and tunnels and when it is back outside they turn right back off again.

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:32 am

Flick wrote:Mine are set on full + sensitive and they work perfect they come on at dusk and never turn on and off except in parking garages and tunnels and when it is back outside they turn right back off again.

I believe mine are on one of the middle settings so I will move it all the way to the + end and see how that works. I remember doing that once before but I was changing it around so much trying to see how it affected them that I didn't think it worked well for me. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the input!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”