P0430

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

webmastir

P0430

Postby webmastir » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:01 pm

lol. so the day i buy the car, i get a P0430 error. wtf?! no warranty yet ( was going to get one from warrantydirect.com soon)

figures. anyway, whatever... i've researched this some. could it be that the car was sitting for a little while - needs seafoam to clean the fuel injectors or somin? i read it's prob not o2 sensor given the code # - maybe the TWC (fml if it is)?

any clues? i hear it could be a lot of things. the dealer did fill it up before we left, maybe they used crap 87 gas?

:evil:

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:11 pm

hmm, not sure what it could be, but probably not the fuel, ive been running everything from 85 to 92 octane in my 06 about 74,000 miles now.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:07 am

what kind of mileage? I actually just did a set of cats on an xterra a couple weeks ago....i've seen some funny things with them.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:49 pm

can you post more details on your ride? yr? miles?

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 pm

Sure. Sorry about that... 2006 pathfinder SE. 90k miles. I've tried playing with gas cap. Hasn't seemed to fix it (manual said somin as simple as that can cause this type of problem). At least the SES light isn't blinking. Just came on while driving on istate. The salesman who filled it up before we left coulda screwed gas cap on wrong..? Seems ok. Code still hasn't erased itself.

How do u reset SES light without disconnecting battery? On my acura, there's a fuse I can pull to reset the MIL light. Is there a similar/easy way to do this with my path? Thx

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:59 pm

It will go away after a couple hundred miles and a refill of the tank. Just make sure the gas cap clicks a few times when you tighten it. You could get a cheap code reader for around $50 and clear it out yourself. Then you know if it's a real problem if the code comes back. Saves trips to the dealer when you can see the code a try to do a quick fix, instead of going to the dealer. I have an Actron pocket scan that does the job.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:05 pm

boogyman wrote:It will go away after a couple hundred miles and a refill of the tank. Just make sure the gas cap clicks a few times when you tighten it. You could get a cheap code reader for around $50 and clear it out yourself. Then you know if it's a real problem if the code comes back. Saves trips to the dealer when you can see the code a try to do a quick fix, instead of going to the dealer. I have an Actron pocket scan that does the job.
thank you very much boogyman. i really hope your suggestion happens as it should (clearing itself after a couple hundred miles). it would make me feel so much more at ease. no one likes to see that darn light while driving. will update if it goes away this week & what i end up doing to fix if it doesn't.

djbit

Postby djbit » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:13 am

I am at ~ 96K and my check engine light came on. My ODBII reader gave me the same code.

P0430 is the code for a bad catalytic converter. I cleared the code but it came back a few days later.

I will start by replacing the 02 sensors after the cats. Cats are not cheap, and I think it's a dealer only part. I am hoping the 02 sensor replacement can fix it.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:29 pm

it'll probably be a bad cat converter. that's what mine ended up being. THEY ARE FREAKING EXPENSIVE. luckily, since i had just bought the car, i got them to order it & put it on there for free :wink:. what's funny was after they put on the new one the 2nd one went bad. so they had to replace that one too. it had something to do w/ the pressurization going wrong or something after the replacement of the 1st really expensive one. *shrug*

it's fixed now, thankfully.

good luck man...save up some $$$ if you're not under any sort of warranty

2006R51MD

Postby 2006R51MD » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:28 pm

A Little off topic. I would not waste any money on a Warranty Direct warranty if the vehicle has 90k miles or any warranty at that point. I sold Warranty Direct and a bunch of other policies for about 2 years. The policies they offer at that mileage don't cover much at all and it is hard to get them to pay a claim. They will give you a list of what is "covered". Most of the time the parts they cover are damaged by another part that is NOT covered, for that reason they will not pay a claim.

IF you do decide to buy it PLEASE make sure that you get a copy of the ACTUAL contract first.

Sorry to get off topic

bati

Postby bati » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:38 am

webmastir wrote:it'll probably be a bad cat converter. that's what mine ended up being. THEY ARE FREAKING EXPENSIVE. luckily, since i had just bought the car, i got them to order it & put it on there for free :wink:. what's funny was after they put on the new one the 2nd one went bad. so they had to replace that one too. it had something to do w/ the pressurization going wrong or something after the replacement of the 1st really expensive one. *shrug*

it's fixed now, thankfully.

good luck man...save up some $$$ if you're not under any sort of warranty
I've been getting the P0430 on my pathfinder every week and I have resetting the code on my SUV but its been annoying doing that weekly. Have your SES return back after you replace your cats?

I've read on other forums that guys with frontiers/xterras have been using 02 sensor spacers to get rid of the SES and avoid buying cats n 02 sensors.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:00 am

Nope, it never came back for that. I've got some other issue with some sort of Fuel Tank sensor now :cry:

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:17 am

If you "just" bought it, take it back to where you bought. Don't wait and see for 100 miles, take it back and have them fix it.

Could be a 5 dollar gas cap, could be 2k in cats.

Do yourself a favor and take it back and have them fix it.

bati

Postby bati » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:22 am

webmastir wrote:Nope, it never came back for that. I've got some other issue with some sort of Fuel Tank sensor now :cry:
I had that same problem too but its an easy job to replace the fuel sensor.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:41 am

bati wrote:
webmastir wrote:Nope, it never came back for that. I've got some other issue with some sort of Fuel Tank sensor now :cry:
I had that same problem too but its an easy job to replace the fuel sensor.
Yeah. I saw a diy write up somewhere. Didn't seem too simple. Included drilling into the frame or some shit

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”