Fuel for Pathfinder

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

Dan

Fuel for Pathfinder

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 am

Dear Pathfinder Friends

I am considering purchasing a new Pathfinder or Xterra. I am trying to research info on both vehicles. I felt the best way was to ask owners themselves. Can you tell me whether I would need to use premium or regular unleaded fuel ina Pathfinder? The salesperson says I could use regular unleaded but the owners manual recommends premium unleaded.

Thanks

Dan

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:27 am

I use regular but fill up on premium when going on a long haul. For the best performance, as stated in the owners manual, I recommend premium.

Gonzo

fat_frog

Re: Fuel for Pathfinder

Postby fat_frog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 am

Dan wrote:...but the owners manual recommends premium unleaded.
My '09 says the same thing. Recommended. I perosnally have not used mid-grade or premium yet. I have been using regular since the 1st fillup; have not experienced any performance issues at 13K miles on ODO.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:28 pm

I use regular pump gas most of the time. about once a month I alternate between a fill up of premium and the use of seafoam. not a problem as of yet

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 pm

I just got an 2010, but only have 1100 miles on it. All 3 times I put Super in it, but was wondering if mid-grade would work also.

What do they mean "for best performance"? Spark knocking? Sluggish performance? What "might" happen if a lower grade is used?

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 am

Welcome to the forums!...... Triffid

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:30 am

cbacarisse wrote:What do they mean "for best performance"? Spark knocking? Sluggish performance? What "might" happen if a lower grade is used?
Exactly that, best performance. When using premium fuel, the CPU wont retard the timing so much to avoid knocking therefore getting the most performance out of the engine. When using regular fuel, the CPU then retards the timing to avoid engine knock, pinging, detonation, whatever you wanna call it, therefore taking away some of the performance. Make sense?
If I'm wrong, please chime in.

Gonzo

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”