09 Pathfinder several questions

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

deezx5

09 Pathfinder several questions

Postby deezx5 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:15 am

We just bought an 09 Pathfinder base model for the wife and I have never owned a Nissan before (Ford guy) so sorry about the noob questions. I must say that I was surprised by the acceleration and handling of this vehicle and I think we will really enjoy it.

Where is the cabin air filter? Pollen season is about to start and I usually replace mine yearly.

Do drop in washable filters like K&N increase gas mileage at all? If so is K&N the recommended filter or is there something better out there specific to Pathfinders?

The manual says to use premium gas only but the Nissan website says 87 is ok but premium is preferred. Are most people running 87? We only have 9K miles and the vehicle came from Carmax so I have no idea what the previous owner used or what is in the tank right now.

Where is a good place to get factory parts online? Are there any forum sponsors or dealers who sell online and have really good pricing? Several interior trim pieces are scratched and the wife wants them replaced.

Thanks guys

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:45 am

The air filter can be located after you remove the lower glove box..

And i dont think just the K&N filter alone will make any signifant change to your mileage according to the guys who already have it on..to make any difference you gotta have the whole intake with a custom tube installed..as for the other questions sorry buddy im from the UAE and our gas is quite different from the US so may be some one else could help you..

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:38 am

Be prepared for some differing answers here, but let me give you my personal 2 cents.

I have a K&N, and have noticed no real difference in gas mileage. Still nice to be able to clean it, instead of throwing out and buying a new one, even if it was more expensice intially.

I use 87 in mine. I tried when I first got it with 93 and once again, noticed no big difference. I do mostly city driving so I get crappy mileage anyway. Maybe some of the 2 hour, highway commuters can say different.

www.courtesyparts.com

I have seen an insane markup at my local dealer compared to this site. I believe this is a dealer in TX, but also has an internet store front.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks for the input so far, is the cabin air filter a huge pain to get to or is it simply pop out the glove box and replace?

I like washable filters because they last forever so I will probably just buy a K&N anyway even if there is no noticeable gain. I have a Volant aftermarket CAI on my Focus and it made a huge difference but the airbox on the Pathfinder doesn't look very restrictive.

Thanks for the link, looks like that dealer is in Dallas and I live in Austin so it could be worth a drive to save shipping cost and make sure I get the right parts. It would give me an excuse to visit some friends too.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:22 pm

The cabin filter is realtively easy to get to, but more than 2 minutes. You basically, take the lower tray out. Then you have to remove a couple screws and the frame of the glove box comes out. You will see a rectangular door (upper right). Though there is a hole for a bolt, there is just a tab that clicks in (I think on top, and there are 2 tabs that fit in loops on the bottom. This tab is notorious for snapping off, so be gentle. Once you open it, you will see the end of one of the filters. There are actually 2 in there. One is shoved off to the right. Typical engineer snafu. The filter was bigger than the room they left for the hatch. Anyway, pull one straight out, then slide the other one over to the hole and straight out. Reverse order to reinstall. Mine had all sorts of leaves and crap on top of the filter, first time I changed it.

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for the info, seems easy enough to do. I looked at o'reilly website and the cabin air filter said 2 to a box but I figured it was just a value pack.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:09 pm

deezx5 wrote:Thanks for the info, seems easy enough to do. I looked at o'reilly website and the cabin air filter said 2 to a box but I figured it was just a value pack.
No, there are actually two inside the housing. They are side by side and you put them in one at a time, sliding the first one over to insert the 2nd one.

I found no increase in mileage for the drop in K&N filter, or the K&N intake kit... I tried both.

As for octane, the gas lid on my '05 says, "Premium fuel is recommended for maximum performance" In other words, if you are towing, hauling alot of cargo, or maybe even racing (LOL), then use the premium.
The engine seems to run fine on either. I havent heard any pinging or noticed any real difference using the low vs. hi-octane fuels.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:35 am

no noticeable driving difference at all with premium gas.

K&N does give a small gain, but no fuel economy difference either, plus the bother of cleaning,

and if u get the oil type, gotta watch the MAF sensor, or it'll run rich.

i have that problem, and still cant sort it out.

cabin filter, i had smell coming inside the car everytime i drive anywhere smelly, and the dealer informed me that it came with no filter inside :shock:

they installed only 1 microfilter, now after knowing theres 2, gonna take it back for a hassle

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:23 am

I'm surprised that the K&N doesn't have any MPG increase but I will probably do it anyway. Whenever I oil a filter I only use a light coat then let it dry outside for several hours before I put it back in the vehicle and never had any problems.

mar1nasr you can find maf cleaner at most autoparts stores and you can wipe out your filter box with degreaser rags to clean up any leftover oil mess

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Wow that cabin air filter replacement was a larger PITA than I expected, and myriad46 you were right about that clip I broke it off :(

08 pathy

Postby 08 pathy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 am

deezx5 wrote: and myriad46 you were right about that clip I broke it off :(
Welcome to the club... :wink:

shanker

Postby shanker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:53 am

Dealers are so bias about any product they dont sell...

I've used K&N filters, air intakes on all my vehicles and have never had any MAF issues...Just read the instructions and most importantly follow their instructions and you should not have any issues...If you are noticing hesitation on throttle check your MAF sensor 90% of the time its time to clean the MAF sensor...I clean them every year in my WRX...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”