control arm bolt gone - worth fixing?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

bcf211

control arm bolt gone - worth fixing?

Postby bcf211 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Somehow I have lost one of the big bolts on the control arm on the LF of my 87 Pathfinder. I took it to my mechanic and he wouldn't put a new bolt in it because if the threading is all goobered up through the control arm (WHICH IT IS) it more than likely is in the frame as well, and doesn't want to be liable for that if anything doesn't stay put together. Should I have him put in the hours to get in there and try to fix it if there is a possibility that it is irrepairable? He sounded very negative about it, and in addition to many other problems with the suspension (bad CV joints and boots, leaking shocks, cracked engine mount and exhaust manifold) makes me hesitate keeping it at all. Has anyone else dealt with a problem like this?

Scaramoche

yup

Postby Scaramoche » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:21 pm

The problem with the old WD's is that even though the suspension is very robust, time sooner or later takes it's toll.

I have replace most of my suspension, on the cheap. but this assumes you dont mind doing the work yourself.

Personally I love doing this stuff, and it helps that i have a junkyard(a you pull it place) that is very very cheap, and always has 5-10 WD pathy's on the lot.

Myself, I love my pathy, but also knew that regardless what i purchased, I would not feel comfy until i fixed everything. That being said, I know trust my engine, suspension and 4x4 more than on a new car, plus if anything goes wrong i can fix it hehehe.

As a note, I fixed my suspension, with new shocks, and bushings for aroun 300.00 USD.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:41 am

I'd say do the work.

these are very very reliable trucks and pretty easy to work on.

it just sounds like normal maintenance that has been neglected for a bit.

velvetsanity

Postby velvetsanity » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:09 am

That missing control arm bolt sounds odd. That's not something that would normally become an issue. However, the rest of it sounds like neglected maintenance.

As for the control arm bolt, well........where's the bushing? There should be no way that the control arm or frame anchor should be damaged -- unless it was caused by a bushing getting destroyed, which over time would chew up the bolt.

Make a very close and detailed inspection of the frame anchor where the missing bolt goes. Also inspect the other ones on the same side for stress damage (cracks, evidence of twisting, etc). If everything's good there, no problem. Get a replacement control arm from a local junkyard and start replacing suspension bushings (I guarantee that if one bushing blew out, the rest are getting ready to go).

If the frame anchors are damaged, consider it a parts truck.

That said, if the anchors are still good, take care of the work it needs done and pay close attention to everything it tells you when you're driving it (so any other neglected maintenance can be resolved before becoming major problems) and it'll take good care of you. (If it's an automatic transmission, go easy on it, I've seen many Pathys on craigslist with bad transmissions, and every single one was an automatic)

cheiane

Postby cheiane » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:27 pm

velvetsanity wrote:That missing control arm bolt sounds odd. That's not something that would normally become an issue. However, the rest of it sounds like neglected maintenance.

As for the control arm bolt, well........where's the bushing? There should be no way that the control arm or frame anchor should be damaged -- unless it was caused by a bushing getting destroyed, which over time would chew up the bolt.

Make a very close and detailed inspection of the frame anchor where the missing bolt goes. Also inspect the other ones on the same side for stress damage (cracks, evidence of twisting, etc). If everything's good there, no problem. Get a replacement control arm from a local junkyard and start replacing suspension bushings (I guarantee that if one bushing blew out, the rest are getting ready to go).

If the frame anchors are damaged, consider it a truck parts.

That said, if the anchors are still good, take care of the work it needs done and pay close attention to everything it tells you when you're driving it (so any other neglected maintenance can be resolved before becoming major problems) and it'll take good care of you. (If it's an automatic transmission, go easy on it, I've seen many Pathys on craigslist with bad transmissions, and every single one was an automatic)
hi i was just wanna ask if how to fix the control arm bolt?? mine sounds like an odd too. :( and do i need to buy a new one? :?

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”