08 Battery Dying after two days?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NBPathy

08 Battery Dying after two days?

Postby NBPathy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:19 am

Hi all, new to the forum. Glad to be here, but not so glad to have to post a problem. I did a search but can't find a cause.

My '08 Path was parked for a couple of days in a garage, 60 hours to be exact, and it *barely* started due to what I presumed to be a dead battery. All radio station presets were reset so something happened. After a <5 minute ride I turned it off and it started right up full force so the alternator is charging.

The only question that comes to mind is that the Intellikey was in the car for the time it was parked. Does anyone know if the on board computer turns on / stays on in the presence of the key, and would it drain the battery after <60 hours?

Any other thoughts or obvious things I'm missing?

I have yet to get the battery tested.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 am

:) welcome to the forum!
Don't know the answer to your question regarding the key, but:
Have you checked that your battery terminals are clean & tight?
Fluid level in battery OK?
The OEM Pathfinder batteries don't seem to have very good longevity. :(
Just in case it turns out to be defective, is it still within the warranty coverage period?

NBPathy

Postby NBPathy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 am

The terminals were the first things I checked and they're clean. It would be under warranty but it's a PITA. Guess I should have it tested out.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:09 pm

are any lights on after you leave the vehicle? is anything plugged into one of the power sockets? any loose wiring that can cause drainage or short?

pathyGirl@10K

Postby pathyGirl@10K » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:36 pm

i had the same problem. i bought an 08 in january and within the month my 4WD light was flashing. dealer said battery terminals were corroded so they cleaned them for free under warranty. two weeks later i was stranded at the top of my mountain, i could not get it into gear. i had it towed to the dealer, turns out it was a dead battery (strange because all lights still worked, just not enough juice to move it). paid $92 to replace the battery, probably should have bought an optima... but hopefully i will get a year or two out of this one.

i also thought the intel key might be draining the battery, but the dealer said, that should not be an issue. i think the oem batteries might just be 'weak'. my next battery is an optima.

certz656

Postby certz656 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 am

I had an 07 Camry Hybrid that a system simular to the Intellikey system. It was recommended not to leave the remote in the vehicle for extended periods of time, the car detects that the remote is in the car and sends signals to the electronics that over time will run the battery down. Not sure if the Pathfinders system will do the same thing, but I'd suspect it may, though I've yet to read anything in the owners manual that refers to this. I too have an 08 w/ Intellikey and do not leave the remote in the car when not in use.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”