Tested the Limits of the Pathfinder

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

me&pathy

Tested the Limits of the Pathfinder

Postby me&pathy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:46 pm

So I had the opportunity to take the truck all out today on a closed piece or road with a nice long straight and a pretty tight s curve. Some of you wont care for this post but i thought it was fun finding the limits of the pathfinder. So i started out with a full run from a dead stop to the fuel cut and back to zero. First run with VDC on mated the throttle no wheel spin the truck pulled very smoothly and the fuel cut came on at 115 mph. The truck is very stable at this speed the steering feels very heavy though. So i got up to 115 and stayed there for about 20 seconds and slammed the brakes. ABS kicked in immediately and she pulled down from triple digits very nicely to a dead stop. I turned her around and did another run, this time with vdc off and over drive off. I brake launched it i figure she needed about 7.2 seconds to get to 60. I kept the throttle all the way open for the return. I took a quick glance down and the needle was at 120. The moon roof starts to buzz as air starts coming through the weather striping. I slam the brakes the truck dives hard and the slip light starts flashing. Bring her to another dead stop with the sweat scent of smoldering pads is coming through the air vents. I was able to get two more runs in before the brakes became a problem. After the fourth run i turned her off, the Pedal had gone very spongy and was able to touch the floor and her disc's were letting off smoke. :D So i let patty sit for a good 30 minutes before starting her up again. So for the last run i wanted to take her down the s curve. The road is about 2 miles long with the s curve at the end of the straight. So i started at the beginning with VDC off and took her down the straight got up to fuel cut and she goes into over drive at about 4 grand i get on the brakes ready to apex the s turn, i slow for the first turn hard on the brakes no ABS needed throw her into the corner her butt wants to go wide and she gets some play in before the ABLS kicks in and it comes on and does it violently i cut the turn and stand back on the throttle she goes into third but holds it at 5 grand and im coming out of the turn. Her General UHP's are making a lot of noise. The exit is beautiful and she charges forward. All in all the Pathfinder is a more than capable machine, and for being a body on frame truck she can give most cross overs a work out. O and the on board computer was figuring about 7 miles to the gallon. I do love this truck the motor may not be smooth but i was very surprised how it pulls over 100 with a full tank of fuel on bored. I really hope Nissan dosent kill the Performance of the pathfinder. O and people dont flame me for taking my boat to this speed. I have new tires and the brakes were new but if you ever get the opportunity do it.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Good read and i cant help but go over 100mph at least twice a month :D

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:05 am

Well the tires and brakes WERE new :D

I get mine up close to 100 fairly often and it does feel pretty secure. Nice to know the brakes will work if needed.

Those turns must be pretty smooth because mine makes some moves at 65mph in the bumpy turns that I'm pretty sure 100mph would send me off into the wild-blue. I'm looking into some suspension mods now because I'm driving 60 miles each day of twisty/hilly roads some of which are smooth as glass and other sections that are rather rough. Car and Driver runs this same road for some of their car tests....usually the high performance ones. It's really a perfect road for a sports car and if I didn't also need to drive out some mining roads for work I'd be all over a 350Z.

BMXPath

Re: Tested the Limits of the Pathfinder

Postby BMXPath » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:22 am

me&pathy wrote: ...O and people dont flame me for taking my boat to this speed. I have new tires and the brakes were new but if you ever get the opportunity do it.
Flame you? Hell no! I certainly cant give you a hard time since I have been to the drag strip in mine 1/2 a dozen times. :wink:
I have yet to get mine over a 100, I think I need to go find me a nice straight piece of road!

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:34 am

My trucks hood vibrates at anything over 85.. I don't dare go faster (105)...

MM

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:47 am

Mr Mayor (was MarGinJoey) wrote:My trucks hood vibrates at anything over 85.. I don't dare go faster (105)...

MM
My hood doesn't do that from just straight speed, but if it's windy or if a truck passes me going the other way...it shakes quite a bit. I've been meaning to check the bump-stops to see if they need adjusted.

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

I save the fast driving for my M5 :D

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:23 am

Oh no, my hood vibrates always and constantly... 65 plus....

I have a bug shield (are type-so as not to appear redneck :lol: ) and with it on or off, the hood shakes like crazy. I have a post about it someplace, latch adjustment and bumpstops didnt do sheet!

MM

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:28 am

kelleyo wrote:I save the fast driving for my M5 :D
I beat an M5 to 60ft when I was at the drag strip friday night. :wink: Really, I did... he smoked me after that though. I also beat an '06 Caddy CTS V to the 1/8 mile.
See, as long as you enjoy the fastest vehicle you have, that is all that matters. My Pathy is all I have though. :lol:

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:01 am

lol cool the quickest i have gone is 158 mph in the G35, But 120 in the pathfinder is much more intresting than in a car.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 am

Mr Mayor wrote:Oh no, my hood vibrates always and constantly... 65 plus....

I have a bug shield (are type-so as not to appear redneck :lol: )
MM
You should get one of the generic flat ones...and then put vinyl decals on it with a spiffy slogan, NASCAR number, or the international hauling ass symbol. My favorite slogan for a bug shield is "Not So Rich and Famous". I live in redneck central....I've seen it all.

I've been planning to order one of the low-profiles shields as well. Hoping it might divert some of the rocks that I get hammered with on a regular basis. Replaced the windshield once already this year and several chips in this one.

certz656

Postby certz656 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:39 am

I too have had my V8 over 100mph, despite the hood dancing. Has anyone found the cause for the hood raising at speed( 65+) or especially when a big rig passes from the opposite direction, looks like the hood is going to fly off. I don't know how many times I've stopped to make sure the hood is completely latched.

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:18 am

BMXPath wrote:
I beat an M5 to 60ft when I was at the drag strip friday night. :wink: Really, I did... he smoked me after that though. I also beat an '06 Caddy CTS V to the 1/8 mile.
See, as long as you enjoy the fastest vehicle you have, that is all that matters. My Pathy is all I have though. :lol:
I can see the 60 foot situation. The issue with the M5 (at least on my E39 6Speed it is) is traction off the line. If you leave traction control on it hurts the hole shot because it cuts power to keep the wheels from spinning. If you turn traction control off it is a beast to keep the wheels from spinning and going nowhere. Anything inbetween and your expensive clutch will start smoking :oops:

The pathy has a great hole shot. Auto tranny and good low end torque 8)

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:29 am

is your E39 chipped? you can get more lower end torque out of it by remapping the shift points. or using the a/m feature.

i'm loving the R51. when we go on road trips its got the power to maintain speed going up mountains and such. i have taken it up to 103 but have yet to get her to go any faster before i give up...

maybe its being used to the bimmers at speed. but the R51 is pretty solid!

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:35 am

GimmieSumMo72 wrote:is your E39 chipped? you can get more lower end torque out of it by remapping the shift points. or using the a/m feature.

i'm loving the R51. when we go on road trips its got the power to maintain speed going up mountains and such. i have taken it up to 103 but have yet to get her to go any faster before i give up...

maybe its being used to the bimmers at speed. but the R51 is pretty solid!
It is powerchipped and I have a supersprint race exhaust. Can't remap shiftpoints. It is a stick...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”