Premium fuel

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

lamuncha1

Premium fuel

Postby lamuncha1 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Looking to buy a new Pathfinder - but am concerned about the premium fuel requirement.

Not sure I understand what recommended means - it either runs on regular or doesn't?

An XTERRA I have runs regular with the same 4.0 engine?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

scarelli

Postby scarelli » Mon May 03, 2010 1:01 pm

my gas cap says, "For best performance, use premium fuel"

I use regular most of the time and haven't had any issues...

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Mon May 03, 2010 4:18 pm

u can use cheap crap but i only run 91 in it because i drive her really hard and it dosent hesitate to kick down.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Mon May 03, 2010 6:14 pm

My 05 PF runs just fine on regular fuel. I can't afford premium, so I use regular and have absolutely NO problem with it. When I do use premium,I do notice a significant difference in performance and fuel economy. In my opinion, use what you can afford, and do regular maintenace and you'll be fine. :D

DPF

Postby DPF » Fri May 07, 2010 8:11 am

I have done tank-ful comparisons using premium and regular to see if there were any kind of mileage improvement to justify the higher cost/gallon. No real difference to speak of. Between a .1-.2 mpg difference, which is within a range that can be due to the mood I was in that week and how heavy I was on the pedal.

I ran regular in my 96 Max for years with this engine (3.0l version) and it loved it.

I can sense no difference in power either. I'm perfectly happy running regular. Maybe a tank of Premium every few weeks to maybe clean things out a bit, that's about it.

-DPF

Return to “General Automotive”