Rant: Dealer did not advise of a replaced cluster. Advice?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

gcdavidson

Rant: Dealer did not advise of a replaced cluster. Advice?

Postby gcdavidson » Wed May 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Hey guys, wondering what your thoughts are on this situation.

I bought a used 2006 SE in 2009. It had 11,400km on it. The low mileage was the deciding factor in buying this vehicle. I bought it from a non-Nissan dealer who has a good rep in the city.

Today, I took it in to the Nissan dealer and mentioned in passing that I got it with only 11,400km. The service guy looked up and said, well, the last time it was here, it had 24,083. He proceeded to show me the servicing done, which was to replace the cluster.

In effect, the truck actually had over 35,000 km on it (which explains the U-joints and tires I replaced at what I thought was 31k but was actually 54k).

I feel that the dealer I bought it off owes me some compensation (regardless of whether they knew about it or not). I am trying to figure out what a fair amount is. Factors I am considering are: The truck had 300% more mileage than advertised, I am 24,000km closer to my powertrain warranty expiring, and I would have bought a different vehicle if the actual mileage was shown.

I am thinking 10 cents a km is pretty fair, or $2400. I will ask the the dealer for this, but I am prepared to go to small claims court.

Is 10cent a km out to lunch?

Thanks,
G

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:35 pm

I would ask them for an extended warranty (no charge to you of course) to at least cover the difference in mileage that you thought the vehicle had.

scarelli

Postby scarelli » Thu May 20, 2010 6:38 am

Judging by the fact you are using KM, i'm guessing your not in the states...

But here in the states, odometer fraud is a big deal....I'd be curious to look up cases similar to yours and see how it was resolved...

Scaramoche

milage

Postby Scaramoche » Sat May 22, 2010 10:29 pm

It is very possible the dealer didnt know about the miles, and replaced cluster. Infact I wouldnt be surprised that who ever the previous owner was "sold/traded" in the vehicle did so knowing they were lying about the milage. But being a person who himself has purchased a vehicle with fradulant miles, i would be pissed as well.

I would take the advice of a previous poster, and approuch the dealer, let him know what you found, and see if they could give you an extended warranty. This more than anything will give you assurance of a running vehicle for years, while if you recieved cash, you may spend it, then in the future have an issue, with know insurance, and get caught spending thousands.

just my 2 cents.

gcdavidson

Postby gcdavidson » Sun May 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Dealer and I met last week. Where I live, there is a regulatory body that deals with this sort of complaint. They will assign an arbitrater to my case and determine compensation. Since I don;t want the dealer to buy back the truck, I expect it will be cash-out. Since the dealer is not a Nissan dealer, i don't want to go through the hassle of a extended warranty. The 3 yr one has time expired anyways, and the powertrain will time out before I put 100,000km on it, so cash is a good choice for me.

Follow up: They cut me a cheque for $3400, and I traded it in for the original purchase price.

Return to “General Automotive”