Question for those that lifted the rear

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

madrock

Question for those that lifted the rear

Postby madrock » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Did you need to use a spring compressor to get the rear springs in? After I popped the rear spacer in and set the bottom of the spring in, I could not get the blasted top into position. I stood above it and pushed down with all of my strength but it would not budge anymore.

Did I not jack the Pathy up high enough? Was I supposed to loosen and remove more than just the bolt connecting the spindle?

I am thinking of renting a compressor from Auto Zone to compress it just enough so I can jack it into position.

Thoughts?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:42 pm

I was able to get a 2" lift rear spring in without a compressor. The compressor would make it easier. I also wasn't trying to squeeze in a spacer which I could imagine would make it harder.

madrock

Postby madrock » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:12 pm

Thanks for the reply.

It's the top and bottom rubber isolator that makes difficult, IMO. I made some progress as I stepped on the link while pushing down on the spring. I just hope I don't do any damage to the spring loaded bushings by stepping on the link.

I'll give it another shot in the morning. Don't want to make the neighbors mad with all of the racket :oops:

UPDATE: I came too close to give up for the night. I said screw the neighbors and gave it one more shot...and the blasted thing slid right in!! Hindsight is 20/20 but if I had to do it all over again I would go for the 2" lift coils over the spacers. The spacer, spring and two rubber isolators create too many variables that can shift and slide making things more difficult.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”