Idle/ dying problem

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

Idle/ dying problem

Postby BMXPath » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:31 pm

So, last week I am sitting at a traffic light and the engine dies. I was in gear, with the a/c on. It immediately restarts and I go on. Over the next few days it occasionally does the same thing. Right before dying, it will instantly develop a rough idle and the rpm's will dip for a few seconds. Again, I immediately restart and it seems fine.

As of yesterday and today it has gotten worse. Of course now I am driving around being watchful at every stop light or stop sign to see if it is going to die or not. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. I can watch the tach and see the rpm's start to drop when it starts to flutter. When I see it, I can feather the gas pedal and usually keep it running. It will usually clear up in a few seconds.

As of this morning, it has developed another random symptom. When I am at a stop and feel the flutter coming on I try feathering the throttle to keep it running... It hesitates, barely runs, has no power, feels like it wants to die, then it will suddenly "catch its breath" and takes off normally. The intermittent problem has almost left me dead in the middle of an intersection.

Fyi, doesnt matter whether the a/c is on or not. Also, I replaced the IPDM module in January... the symptoms are different now. No check engine light, no codes. I scanned for codes this morning with it "passing".

Any ideas out there? I Google searched, and searched on this forum, but havent found anyone with a resolution.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:53 pm

I wonder if the ECM is going bad, low fuel pressure? is there not a switch, THROTTLE POSITION sensor on the throttle body that holds the TB open some for the idle? this could be faulty.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Maybe the new IPDM is failing?
If you still have the old IPDM, you might swap it back in as a test to see what changes happen, that is, if it was safely operable with the old IPDM.
(what were the symptoms with the old IPDM?)

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:06 pm

When the original IPDM went out, my Pathy was stranded for the night. It would start but felt like it was running on two cylinders. The check engine light was flashing continually the whole time the engine was barely running and it didnt have enough power to roll thru a parking lot.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Just a thought but did you notice that your idle has been lower than usual? I noticed that you have a K & N FIPK. Shortly after I installed my FIPK my idle dropped about 150 rpm causing the pathfinder to shake at while stopped. The dealer upped the base RPM and the problem was solved.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:14 am

Gbay,

I was wondering about getting the idle raised a bit, thanks! I have noticed a little lower idle since installing my K&N kit. I put it on two year ago though.

As for my problem, it cleared up yesterday. I think I had some bad gasoline. I noticed the problem between gas station visits... it quit completely after putting fule in yesterday, I was near empty.

thePPL

Postby thePPL » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:37 am

I had the exact same thing happen on my 2001 Pathfinder a few years back. Exactly 25 seconds of idling at a stop light causes the RPMs to drop and stalls the engine unless you give it some gas. Interestingly, everyone I have heard of with this problem has a K&N air filter in it. The problem is that the K&N oil gets on the Mass Air Flow sensor.

This is what I did to fix it. Removed the MAF sensor and very carefully sprayed it with carb cleaner. Problem disappeared.

Note that the MAF sensor is VERY delicate and you should be extremely careful when cleaning it.

Maybe I was using too much oil on the filter? I've kind of boycotted K&N's since then.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:31 pm

As far as oiling the air filter goes the best thing to do is to oil it and let it dry hanging (say in a garage) overnight. K & N specifically states in the install manual to disconnect the negative battery terminal when installing the FIPK on the R51. I did not do that when I put mine in and I think that lead to the funny idle as you have to take out grounds and disconnect the mass airflow sensor and throttle body.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:07 am

fuel filter?

bad fuel ?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”