High Oil Pressure

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

pawjr74

High Oil Pressure

Postby pawjr74 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:53 pm

I noticed today that when accelerating the oil pressure gauge is maxed out at the top of the spectrum. Under normal driving and idling it's normal. The only thing I can think of is that I used a Fram Tough Guard oil filter. (I always use a Nissan filter) Has anyone else run into this?

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:00 pm

Its normal for the oil pressure to go up during acceleration. Was the engine at operating temperature. If the engine is not at operating temperature the oil pressure is the highest right after the engine is started.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:48 pm

The engine was cold. (it was 110 degrees here today) I've never seen it climb above the 3/4 mark before. I'm not sure if the Fram oil filter is the cause or not. I may try to replace the filter with a Nissan one without doing a complete oil change. (the oil only has 1000 miles on it)

I've never pulled the oil filter off without draining the oil first. I'm not sure how much I'll lose. I can't imagine more than a quart or so.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:24 am

Until the engine heats up you'll see the oil pressure get very high if you rev to higher RPM. When at normal operating temp, oil pressure seems to be limited and more stable. I'm not sure what's controlling the pressure and why for different operating temps, but that's been my experience since day 1 with the Pathfinder. I've always used OEM Nissan filters, especially when I was under warranty; I don't trust that the Fram filters are designed with the right bypass valve and there's really not enough price difference to risk giving the dealer an "out" on your powertrain warranty, if still in effect.

My engine sounds slightly more harsh when revving above 4k RPM on a cold engine, so I don't do it if I can avoid it. After it warms up, you can tell that the motor is much happier at higher RPM.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:31 pm

I use both the Fram TG and the Nissan filters, and have never seen this on my Pathfinder. I would say the oil pressure send unit may be acting up. are you using 5w30 wt oil?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Yes 5w-30

hmatiak

Postby hmatiak » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:01 am

Don't buy into the marketing hype.

Fram filters are garbage. Maybe another story for a different thread, but i am surprised.

Using a quality filter is as important as using a quality oil.

Wix(Napa Gold) or a Amsoil filter is all that i will use. I have heard good things about the Mobil 1 filters also.

Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/

The forums have allot of good info on all lubricating fluids and filters.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:00 am

i use a aftermarket filter all the time with no problems. if you look inside the nissan filter there is a spring valve that you have to make sure the aftermarket one has in it also. if not you will starve the bearings on cold starts of oil. the result is a rod knock eventually. it may or may not be the cause for a spike in oil pressure.
Last edited by JAHBLESSINGS on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:23 am

As mentioned aboive, oil pressure sending unit is the least reliable part in the chain here. I would check that first before getting too worked up. I highly doubt the filter would be causing this.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: High Oil Pressure

Postby disallow » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:20 pm

pawjr74 wrote:I noticed today that when accelerating the oil pressure gauge is maxed out at the top of the spectrum. Under normal driving and idling it's normal. The only thing I can think of is that I used a Fram Tough Guard oil filter. (I always use a Nissan filter) Has anyone else run into this?
This is normal for a cold engine. You should try revving the engine when its -30 out.

Also a reason why I usually let the engine idle for about 5 minutes. I live right by the highway, and if I mat it right out of the gates, the pressure gauge is way maxed out. Scared it might cause damage!

t

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:11 pm

[quote="JAHBLESSINGS"]i use a aftermarket filter all the time with no problems. if you look inside the nissan filter there is a spring valve. :arrow: That spring valve is the anti drain back valve, the Fram filters have this on the Tough guard filters on up.. but not the orange low end of Fram.

madrock

Postby madrock » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:33 pm

I don't think the oil filter would be the reason for the temperature spike. While I stay away from Fram filters, the Fram Tough Guard filters are okay to use. Amsoil, Wix, Mobil 1, K&N, and Royal Purple are the higher rated aftermarket filters. The main thing is having the anti-siphon valve.

Amsoil claims with their synthetic oil and filter you could go 35,000 miles between oil changes under normal driving (17,500 miles under severe). A quart runs about $10 each. I am running the Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic oil and filter which says you can go 15,000 miles between oil changes under normal driving (7,500 miles under severe). I will most likely change it around 8,500 miles. I don't have a lot of stop and go traffic but it is pretty dusty where I live.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:39 pm

I had a similar problem not too long ago, only my oil pressure needle was pegged all the time. I googled the symptoms and came up wiht more info on a Frontier forum. Seemed like a common problem with the 4.0 V6. Some owners thought it was the oil filter, some thought it was the oil pressure sensor... I replaced both and the problem was resolved.

Unfortunately, I dont know which actually resolved my problem. I have been using Mobil 1 filters for quite a while now and had never had any issues before. I did have alot of oil blow-by under the car, from the filter on back, when I had this oil pressure problem.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:59 pm

@ madrock - it's not a temp spike it's a high pressure spike.

I'm going to start with a Nissan oil filter and see if that corrects the problem.

I never use after market filters and did this one time beause I was going out of town and needed to change the oil.

I'll let everyone know if that correts the issue.

@ BMXPath - What did the oil pressure sensor cost and where does it go? Easy install?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”