Oil change gone horribly wrong...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

scarelli

Oil change gone horribly wrong...

Postby scarelli » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:35 am

So I changed my Oil for the first time on my Pathfinder, since the first one was half price at the dealership... Went out and bought a new clean funnel and oil pan. Put the new pan under, pulled the plug, and ran inside for a minute while it drained, came back out and there was a HUGE black puddle of OIL on my garage floor... THE DAMN NEW OIL PAN HAD A CRACK IN THE BOTTOM...

Any advice for cleaning up split Oil on a concrete floor and an asphalt driveway?

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:42 am

they sell oil absorbant in the auto parts store. buy a bag or 2 and use it to soak up the oil, sweep up and dispose of it properly. then use some degreaser to cleanup any traces of it. or if you have a cat use kitty litter to soak it up..

Npath

Re: Oil change gone horribly wrong...

Postby Npath » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:26 pm

scarelli wrote:So I changed my Oil for the first time on my Pathfinder, since the first one was half price at the dealership... Went out and bought a new clean funnel and oil pan. Put the new pan under, pulled the plug, and ran inside for a minute while it drained, came back out and there was a HUGE black puddle of OIL on my garage floor... THE DAMN NEW OIL PAN HAD A CRACK IN THE BOTTOM...

Any advice for cleaning up split Oil on a concrete floor and an asphalt driveway?
When you're left with a stain on the floor, use WD-40 on the concrete. As for Asphalt... floor dry?

bellwilliam

Postby bellwilliam » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 pm

if you have cat, kitty litter does the same thing.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Ask BP, just kidding, I second the kitty litter.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:59 pm

xd9-g19 wrote:Ask BP.

:lol:

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:02 am

Use the oil dry stuff that looks like kitty liter and cover the area let it sit for a day then clean it up. Now heres the kicker cover it agian then grab a concrete block(cinder or landscaping) and grind that stuff in with the smooth side of the block.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:38 am

Just did the first DIY change on mine as well. What a PITA. Mine started dumping oil just fine but then it started running to the back of the oil pan and dripping onto the floor. By the time I caught it I had oil everywhere. Kitty litter to the rescue. Only thing I can think is that it's because I had it up on ramps so it was leaning back a bit. The filter trough didn't work all that well either.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:50 am

It's a real Pain in the "grass" but I pull off the front skid plate to do my oil changes. The small hole for the oil filter in the skid plate is not big enough and I don't want it covered in oil. I think it's impossible to get the filter off and have all the oil run down that trough and not get all over the skid plate.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:44 am

I took the skid plate off which was the biggest part of the PITA. A lot of the oil from the filter though ran down behind the frame member instead of down the trough. I think it was because I put it on ramps but it's pretty tight under there just sitting on the ground.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Why mess with DIY oil changes? I must be more of a dumb-ass than I suspected, but for $25 at the Nissan stealer, why do you guys bust your rumps on this no-brainer maintenence item? By doing the dealer thing you get a real Nissan filter and R&R on the skid plate. Sorry, but I must be missing something here.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:25 pm

SilverGhost wrote:Why mess with DIY oil changes? I must be more of a dumb-ass than I suspected, but for $25 at the Nissan stealer, why do you guys bust your rumps on this no-brainer maintenence item? By doing the dealer thing you get a real Nissan filter and R&R on the skid plate. Sorry, but I must be missing something here.
they will screw something up....... :roll:

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 pm

I'd likely never go to Nissan dealer. Nearest one is 45 minutes and completely out of my way. I have a terrific indi mechanic that I use and that's who did my first oil change. He's tough to get into though and I don't usually like to bother him unless it's dead of winter like last time.

DIY oil changes normally aren't a big deal but this one is a bit of a PITA. I can do our Ody in about 15 minutes. My previous Tundra had a skid plate but it came off pretty easy.

I think the other big reason I'm not a fan of dealership oil changes is because they put their greenest guy on them and I've caught screw-ups quite a few times. You get what you pay for IMHO. For $40 I can do a full synthetic change with an M1 or Napa Gold filter and go 7,500 miles easily. If I'm too lazy my guy will do it for $70. Unless I've got a serious warranty item I likely won't see a Nissan dealer.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:48 pm

SilverGhost wrote:Why mess with DIY oil changes? I must be more of a dumb-ass than I suspected, but for $25 at the Nissan stealer, why do you guys bust your rumps on this no-brainer maintenence item? By doing the dealer thing you get a real Nissan filter and R&R on the skid plate. Sorry, but I must be missing something here.
There is something to be said about being familiar with the vehicle. Oil changes are a great way to do that.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:43 pm

i used to change my own, but disposal of the oil was a PITA...i will gladly pay to have someone take care of that correctly (the cost of an oil change is not worth the headache it causes me). found a great indi nissan place here in vegas so i will never have to go to the stealer again

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”