4x4 vs 4x2

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mar1
Sponsored Member

4x4 vs 4x2

Postby mar1 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:22 am

question.

a 4x4 refers to 4WD meaning power is delivered to all 4 wheels. not neccessarily at the same time though.

a 4x2 means power is delivered to only 2 wheels. on the R51, which 2 wheels are controlled, the rear two im guessing?

so a 4x2 is basically same as a 2WD, just like any other ordinary car?

sorry if i sound stupid, just never properly understood this before.

admiral

Postby admiral » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:45 am

A 4x2 is a 2wd vehicle. All 2wd vehicles are 4x2, meaning number of wheels on vehicle x drive wheels. A 4wd vehicle has power going to all wheels. I hope that answers your question. The R51 4x2 version powers the rear wheels.

Andrew32

Postby Andrew32 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:15 am

One note, 4x4 does not have all 4 wheels engaged unless told to by the driver.

AWD usually has all 4 engaged at all times and is usually computer controlled.

admiral

Postby admiral » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:08 am

Good information, I thought I left something out lol.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am

The LE's could be set in AWD ... so you could daily drive in AWD , where the others were a 4x4 that was only to be used in slick or off road purposes ....

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:34 am

cheers guys.

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:41 am

It was not mentioned, even with AWD (all wheel drive) or 4WD not all four wheels get power when slippage occurs. Without a limited slip differential or locker most 4x4 or all wheel drive systems will give power to only two wheels (ever watch a plow truck in the winter with non lockers its pretty funny to see one front tire and one rear tire spinning). Lockers on the rear diff improve traction and make 3 wheels spin when slippage occurs.

4x2 without rear lockers or electronic braking aids are only 1 wheel drive

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Here's a question about AWD. I rented an Rogue with AWD a few weeks ago (base model is FWD). From driving the vehicle I'm under the impression that the Rogue only engages AWD if the computer determined it necessary or felt loss of traction etc. I think it had an option to manually engage AWD but this worked only at very low speed in 1 or 2. I put 1K miles on it and I don't think AWD engaged at all.

I really liked the Rogue and considering for my next car so I'm curious how the system works. My wife drives the Pathfinder, I just maintain and wash it :cry:

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Presuming it's basically the same as my old Murano, it's intrinsically a FWD vehicle, with a drive shaft running rearwards from the transmission to the rear diff with an electromagnet activated clutch pack. Only at low speeds, flip that switch and it locks the magnet on, otherwise it only activates if the VDC system detects slip.

And btw, that clutch pack is NOT the same as locking a 4x4 into 4hi. Effectively it's similar, but it's not strong enough to send 100% of the engine power to the rear wheels, only 50% tops, and the rear diff is undersized accordingly as well. It's a driving in snow or getting unstuck from the muddy parking lot kinda system, don't expect to keep going too well if you have a wheel in the air :wink: .

That being said, at least on the Murano the AWD version had a MUCH better driving feel. Less nose-dive under braking, no torque-steer under hard acceleration. Even if the AWD only works at some times, the vehicle can have a quite different feel to it.

Funny story from back in the day on the Murano forums...guy in snow country parks on a hill, left two wheels on the plowed pavement and right two wheels on the snow, puts the transmission in Park but doesn't set the e-brake, gets out and proceeds to watch his Murano roll down the hill! :shock: Of course the two wheels on the snow were spinning backwards... :D

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Interesting stuff, I cant imagine many people take a Murano or Rogue offroad so that type of system should be more than effective.

Thanks for that Murano story, I needed a smile this afternoon.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:14 pm

I have the LE 4x4 which comes with the multi-mode 4WD. Besides the usual 4Hi/4Lo center lock, the AWD mode is simply amazing, in my book at least.

Based on what my local Nissan mechanic, this drivetrain is derived from the Skyline GTR called ATTESA-ETA-Pro version which had an exceptional AWD system. An electro-mechanical clutch system that can transfer a variable amount of torque up to 50% to the front almost immediately. It's explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATTESA-ETS . Our version adds a true diff lock and low range. Switching from AWD to/from 4Hi is instantaneous.

From what he tells me, the Rogue, Murano, although AWD, had a different design that is not as robust (I'm assuming costs).

I can attest to this when I was wheeling in some sand the other day in AWD mode and as soon as I started to lose traction on some tight turns at speed, the front tires kick in immediately to stabilize and keep the Pathy moving. I really didn't need 4HI at all, never got stuck, and was able to drive home in AWD mode.

This drivetrain alone is worth the price of the LE 4x4.

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:18 pm

In my country we have LOADS of gravel roads. I tested the Pathy in AUTO which according to my tests is NOT rear and then front when needed. It's is mostly rear with a bit of front as a norm and then upto 50% when needed.

Anyways I tested it at around 50mph, trying to loose control of the vehicle by doing a sharp left followed by sharp right as you are about to return with a gradual final left, the car pulls straight and powers up your turns. At most I could get 30 degree variance frrom straight.

The Nissan Xtrail 2 however is even MORE sensitive and comes from the new Skyline tech, 10 degree variance and it acts REALLY REALLY quick.

We compared this to Honda CRV, Toy Rav4 etc. The new xtrail is idiot proof. Pathy is good but more gracious / fun.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for the input. I haven't really tested the Auto mode in all gravel roads. I've tested in deep sand and snow, and it seems to really kick in quickly on my end. Time to look for some gravel roads to check it out ... Yeehaa!

I know we have a variant of the Skyline GTR system, but maybe the ECU is programmed differently to handle more snow/sand than rally racing. But either way, is pretty darn good/fun.

Question: How does the Honda CRV and RAV4 fare? Did you have the VDC turnd on or off when testing?

I wish we had the diesel here in the US

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:59 am

I tested with on all of them with VDC (equiv for them) on and off. I not a fan of the RAV4, the CRV was better but I'd compare them both handling wise to the older Xtrail. I've a soft spot for the CRV. We had the vehicles for around 2 weeks each and for the company bought the Xtrail 2.0 Diesel 6sp auto.

With the Pathy VDC off can be good fun but NOT safe for inexperienced drivers. I ended up in a donga...when I pushed it too far (VDC off). VDC on / off is day and night. If you going to rally VDC off.

We have tested the difference in handling and IMO The moment you leave the tarmac engage AUTO or sometimes even HI LOCK if on corrugations.

The new 2010 2.5 Diesel has 207hp. ;). It's the 3 litre diesel V6 I can't wait for. 250HP with 405lbs/ft @ 1500...and they reckon lighter on fuel vs the 2.5.

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:55 am

Textbook definition as I've understood it based on military training:

4x4 means 4 wheels in contact with the ground and all 4 wheels are capable of moving the vehicle

4x2 means 4 wheels in contact with the ground and but only 2 wheels are capable of moving the vehicle.

6x6 = 6 wheels and all 6 can power vehicle == think APC, infantry fighting vehicle, Army DEUCE.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”