Factory Trans Cooler....Flush or Replace?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Budrbean

Factory Trans Cooler....Flush or Replace?

Postby Budrbean » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:06 pm

So now that the warranty folks have finally decided to pay for the new transmission, a thought has come to my mind about the cooler. When the 4th gear clutches burned out, obviously it filled the fluid with all kinds of clutch material. Im concerned that this material is also all in the factory cooler. Has anyone ever removed the cooler and cleaned it, or is that even possible? Personally it concerns me to the point to where I would rather replace it, but if the shop can clean all the shavings out, I guess thats cool too. I plan to stop by the shop on monday and discuss this with them. Hopefully they included replacing the cooler in the estimate.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Factory Trans Cooler....Flush or Replace?

Postby disallow » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:58 am

Budrbean wrote:So now that the warranty folks have finally decided to pay for the new transmission, a thought has come to my mind about the cooler. When the 4th gear clutches burned out, obviously it filled the fluid with all kinds of clutch material. Im concerned that this material is also all in the factory cooler. Has anyone ever removed the cooler and cleaned it, or is that even possible? Personally it concerns me to the point to where I would rather replace it, but if the shop can clean all the shavings out, I guess thats cool too. I plan to stop by the shop on monday and discuss this with them. Hopefully they included replacing the cooler in the estimate.
You shouldn't have to remove it. Just disconnect the outlet line from it. Attach a 3/8 hose to the trans intake. Run old fluid into a bucket, and have the trans pick up new fluid from another bucket or container.

Keep doing this til the fluid is clear. Rinse, lather, repeat... :)

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:45 am

I would personally disconnect both lines to the external cooler and reverse flush it. (try to push any material back out from the direction it entered the cooler) Hopefully they'll flush the lines running from the trans to the cooler as well.

Budrbean

Re: Factory Trans Cooler....Flush or Replace?

Postby Budrbean » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:23 pm

disallow wrote:
Budrbean wrote:So now that the warranty folks have finally decided to pay for the new transmission, a thought has come to my mind about the cooler. When the 4th gear clutches burned out, obviously it filled the fluid with all kinds of clutch material. Im concerned that this material is also all in the factory cooler. Has anyone ever removed the cooler and cleaned it, or is that even possible? Personally it concerns me to the point to where I would rather replace it, but if the shop can clean all the shavings out, I guess thats cool too. I plan to stop by the shop on monday and discuss this with them. Hopefully they included replacing the cooler in the estimate.
You shouldn't have to remove it. Just disconnect the outlet line from it. Attach a 3/8 hose to the trans intake. Run old fluid into a bucket, and have the trans pick up new fluid from another bucket or container.

Keep doing this til the fluid is clear. Rinse, lather, repeat... :)
But wouldnt this process run all that clutch material through my brand new transmission? In understand the process and theory (I think) but Id rather not run the old mess right through my brand new trans

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:53 pm

i would want to be absolutely sure that any & all debris is out of the system before even starting the engine
considering the overall cost of this repair, it seems like the warranty company would be inclined to make sure a complete & thorough repair is done
if they are not replacing the cooler & lines as part of the repairs, it might be worth considering footing the bill yourself to replace them
looks like about $300 for the cooler & main lines (tubes)
unless you feel comfortable with having them cleaned out
just curious, are they replacing the transmission with a brand new one, or a remanufactured one?

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:45 pm

eieio wrote:i would want to be absolutely sure that any & all debris is out of the system before even starting the engine
considering the overall cost of this repair, it seems like the warranty company would be inclined to make sure a complete & thorough repair is done
if they are not replacing the cooler & lines as part of the repairs, it might be worth considering footing the bill yourself to replace them
just curious, are they replacing the transmission with a brand new one, or a remanufactured one?
Im not 100% sure yet, they just told me they would be sending the repair facility a transmission for the truck. Im gonna stop by and talk with them tomorrow and see, plus I want to discuss this whole cooler situation. $300 for the cooler? If I foot the bill myself, Ill just purchase a good aftermarket one for half the price.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Budrbean wrote:
eieio wrote:i would want to be absolutely sure that any & all debris is out of the system before even starting the engine
Im not 100% sure yet, they just told me they would be sending the repair facility a transmission for the truck. Im gonna stop by and talk with them tomorrow and see, plus I want to discuss this whole cooler situation. $300 for the cooler? If I foot the bill myself, Ill just purchase a good aftermarket one for half the price.
I would definitely question what kind of part they are "sending" to the shop. Is it used? What kind of warranty are you going to get?

Nissan makes a Transmission Cooler Flush.
(Nissan part # 999MP-AM006P)
I would run it through all the trans lines and the trans cooler in the reverse direction of flow. I think you'd be able to see how the flow is and if it's coming out clean.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Budrbean wrote:$300 for the cooler? If I foot the bill myself, Ill just purchase a good aftermarket one for half the price.
$311.00 for the OEM cooler and the the main lines (tubes) @ Courtesy Parts

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:49 pm

pawjr74 wrote:Nissan makes a Transmission Cooler Flush.
I would run it through all the trans lines and the trans cooler in the reverse direction of flow. I think you'd be able to see how the flow is and if it's coming out clean.
this may not be an option as his truck is at a repair shop, not in his own driveway
.........and what happens later if a chunk of crud is still in the system (lodged in a tube) somewhere, restricting flow?

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:47 pm

eieio wrote:
pawjr74 wrote:Nissan makes a Transmission Cooler Flush.
this may not be an option as his truck is at a repair shop, not in his own driveway
.........and what happens later if a chunk of crud is still in the system (lodged in a tube) somewhere, restricting flow?
Yep not an option at this point. Im just trying to decide how to handle it if they say they wont replace it. I only live a few miles from the shop so guess I could have them hook it to the radiator only and I can go home and put a new cooler in. Ill know more later today after speaking with them. Hopefully this isnt their first rodeo and they have included all that in the estimate. I worry a lot over nothing sometimes lol

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:24 am

They are gonna backflush it. The warranty will not pay for a new cooler. They said its still warranted so hey if it goes out again then oh well, they have to pay for another one.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:48 am

Budrbean, when your transmission failed, did the transmission temp warning light come on?

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:23 pm

eieio wrote:Budrbean, when your transmission failed, did the transmission temp warning light come on?
Nope....when I was driving it to the shop with 4th slipping, my temp gauge pegged at 250....never a warning light. I think its a myth :lol:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”