Radiator warranty extended?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

bkmtnff

Radiator warranty extended?

Postby bkmtnff » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:05 am

Just saw this posted on an xterra forum, does anyone here have any more info? Looks like the radiator is going to be covered, along with any damage associated with it.

Nissan has announced a warranty extension on the 2005-2010 trucks with radiator problems:

Quote:
This announcement is to inform you that Nissan has decided, for customer satisfaction purposes, to extend the warranty for the Radiator Assembly on all 2005-10 Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage on applied vehicles for the Radiator Assembly will be extended from its original duration of 3 years/60,000 kilometres to 8 years/130,000 kilometres (whichever occurs first). This warranty extension applies only to the Radiator Assembly (and its component parts), including damage, repairs, replacement, and related towing resulting from this issue. Customers who may have previously paid for a repair that would have been covered by this extended warranty will be eligible for reimbursement. Coverage of other vehicle components will remain unchanged, and all other terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of Nissan’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty continue to apply.
Additional details regarding this warranty extension and reimbursement eligibility and procedures will be provided to you no later than October 29, 2010.

forum link, if thats ok: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24055

4x2

Postby 4x2 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:16 pm

edit:

Its official now, no need for bypass anymore.

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=20

4x2

Postby 4x2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:21 pm

bump

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:34 pm

So we can't go preemptively get this fixed can we? It's only if you've got an issue? I'm at 76,000 miles and the warranty expires at 80,000 now.

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Not sure if I want to remove the bypass even with this.

Hypothetical situation - you undo or never did the bypass and the rad starts to fail at the end of your warrenty. Then just after your warranty it dies and your left to front the bills for a new transmission.

Now that would suck!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:58 pm

i'll stick with the by-pass, thank you..............
i'd rather stick with the transmission that i've got, as opposed to a remanufactured transmission which i wouldn't feel confident with, let alone the botch job that a dealer is likely to do installing it :roll:

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:24 pm

eieio wrote:i'll stick with the by-pass, thank you..............
i'd rather stick with the transmission that i've got, as opposed to a remanufactured transmission which i wouldn't feel confident with, let alone the botch job that a dealer is likely to do installing it :roll:
I agree, mine is just fine by-passed & I'll keep it that way :D

EDIT: 100th post! YAY :D :D :D

4x2

Postby 4x2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Heat damage to transmission will lead to a re-manufactured one anyway.

Of course anyone that can keep their transmission from excessive heat with the bypass has no need for the radiator cooler anyway...
Towing, offroading, heavy acceleration, all generate large amounts of heat.

I drive my vehicle hard and need the extra cooling.
Last edited by 4x2 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4x2

Postby 4x2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:44 pm

05Pathfinder wrote:Not sure if I want to remove the bypass even with this.

Hypothetical situation - you undo or never did the bypass and the rad starts to fail at the end of your warrenty. Then just after your warranty it dies and your left to front the bills for a new transmission.

Now that would suck!
Another scenario is that you put excessive heat on the transmission and it fails prematurely, that would suck too.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:51 pm

I spoke with Nissan Canada a few days ago and was told that there will be a radiator warranty extension to 8 years/130000kms.

They weren't ready to send me a letter yet, but that's what the agent told me. Sometime in the new year was the answer I got.

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:36 am

4x2 wrote:
05Pathfinder wrote:Not sure if I want to remove the bypass even with this.

Now that would suck!
Another scenario is that you put excessive heat on the transmission and it fails prematurely, that would suck too.
I agree with you that having a trans fail due to the bypass would equally suck although from everything ive read and from looking at the service manual it seems the internal trans cooler in the rad only aids in heating up a cold trans and does little if anythign to cool down a really hot trans???

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:16 am

I spoke with one retired transmission engineer back in the mid 90's, and another one hangs out on the Ford Truck forums. Both have said the same thing. The internal cooler never does warm up the fluid. It DOES cool the fluid even in the worst conditions as water to air coolers are highly efficient.

That being said, would rather have your temps a little out of spec or a Strawberry Frappe' in you tranny? A warranty on the radiator doesn't guarantee the part won't fail, and this part has proven itself to be highly suspect.

My PF was likely not even affected, but after a 2nd cooler, fan, and a gauge, I still feel a lot safer not having it hooked up to the radiator.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm SOL. Sitting at 107k miles on my wifes '06 path. Even if I were under, I'd still stick with the bypass method too

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”