OEM Battery going south.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

KEVSTER

OEM Battery going south.

Postby KEVSTER » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:57 pm

I have noticed the last 3 weeks the Pathy starts funny, after 2 yrs the OE battery seems to be getting tired, so I went to Sears and looked at the DieHard batteries, and OUCH!! 130.00 for the silver with 700 cold crank amps. left there and went to Auto Zone, SALE on batteries, :D 89.00 for the Duralast Gold.. 700 Cranking amps. purchased and installed today, Pathy now starts with no hesitation.. OE battery was worse in morning when it was colder air temps to start. OE battery decal says 500 cranking amps. I think mine was down to 350-400 cranking amps.

mrfatboy

Postby mrfatboy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:36 pm

I just had to replace the orginal battery on my 2005. It made it 4 months shy of 5 years. It went dead right out of the blue. No warning. Replaced it with a Pepboys Bosch. - $90

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:13 pm

I took mine to Advance Auto last week and had it tested. Said it had 450 CCA and was a little low on voltage. The guy told me there was no need to worry....so I didnt. 3 days later it died.

I got a 850 CCA battery from walmart....cant remember the brand name they carry. Just didnt have much of a choice cause it was 10 pm and it died in the walmart parking lot.

One question, when you start your truck does your volt gauge dip down towards 8-10 v as you turn the engine over? I just dont remember mine doing it before the battery change. But I tend to look into things too much at times.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:37 pm

One question, when you start your truck does your volt gauge dip down towards 8-10 v as you turn the engine over? I just dont remember mine doing it before the battery change. But I tend to look into things too much at times.[/quote] :arrow: Yes I saw my gauge dip down also.. Started the Pathy this morning and VAROOM, started quick, almost scared me. LOL. nice having a battery with voltage.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Cool, good to know nothing is wrong with my charging system. Yeah you dont realize how much the battery is under load til you put a new one in.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:47 pm

My stock battery died on me 3 weeks ago at the Home Depot parking lot...and I found that out after I bought lumber and loaded it into the PF. Luckily, a Firefighter stopped by and gave me a boost. I headed off to the parts store. I didn't realize that our PF had reverse polarity posts until the parts guy told me that...anyhow...$132 later, I had an AC Delco battery under my hood. 750CCA's with a 50 month REPLACEMENT warranty. I like the battery....hate the price...and the reverse polarity posts...WTF?

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:01 am

SPICOLI wrote:My stock battery died on me 3 weeks ago at the Home Depot parking lot...and I found that out after I bought lumber and loaded it into the PF. Luckily, a Firefighter stopped by and gave me a boost. I headed off to the parts store. I didn't realize that our PF had reverse polarity posts until the parts guy told me that...anyhow...$132 later, I had an AC Delco battery under my hood. 750CCA's with a 50 month REPLACEMENT warranty. I like the battery....hate the price...and the reverse polarity posts...WTF?
What is a reverse polarity post? Mine has a positive (red) and a negative (black). Like any other vehicle

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:28 am

Budrbean wrote: What is a reverse polarity post? Mine has a positive (red) and a negative (black). Like any other vehicle
I think he's talking about the batteries that come with the +/- terminals reversed.

Thanks for the reminder, Kevster. I think I'll try to pick up a new battery this weekend. I'd rather replace it before it dies on me somewhere inconvenient. Last stupid battery that died on me was on my old Durango, and I was about 60 miles from Salt Lake up in the mountains backcountry skiing. I had to wait for the owner of the only other car to return (a little Subaru Outback) & do the jump thing. Well, he simply did not have the juice for it, but I was able to get it started & keep it running by revving the thing above 3k RPM. Any less & it was stall. I don't ever want to go through that again.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:26 am

NVSteve, you're right.

When I went looking for a replacement battery, I couldn't find anyone that listed it. I went to Costco, Walmart and a couple of other auto outfits here in Vancouver. Nobody listed the battery for my 05 PF. I couldn't understand why, so I tried to match up a different battery for size. I found one that was roughly same size and higher CCA's. When I put the battery in the PF I realized that the posts of the battery (+ and -) did not match up the wiring in the car. That's when I found out about the reverse polarity batteries. Once again, WTF? Anyways, the AC Delco battery I got was about $45 cheaper than the stock Nissan battery with a waaaaaay better replacement warranty.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”