HELP! Lost spare key and fob unit...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

65Fastback

HELP! Lost spare key and fob unit...

Postby 65Fastback » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Does the Key have a chip in it that requires the dealership to link up to the car for security purposes? I have an '06 LE

I swear I have torn this mot%^$ fu$*@*% house apart looking for this key.

Looks like I will have to buy new key and fob.

If I buy a new fob on ebay, is there any trick to setting it up. You know, up down left right, a,b start reset start?

Npath

Re: HELP! Lost spare key and fob unit...

Postby Npath » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:56 pm

65Fastback wrote:Does the Key have a chip in it that requires the dealership to link up to the car for security purposes? I have an '06 LE

I swear I have torn this mot%^$ fu$*@*% house apart looking for this key.

Looks like I will have to buy new key and fob.

If I buy a new fob on ebay, is there any trick to setting it up. You know, up down left right, a,b start reset start?
I believe it all has to be reset at the dealer. Have you looked under the bed, sofa, books, paperwork...

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:05 am

I bought a couple of fobs off of ebay and they were a piece of cake to set up. however the dealership has to do the keys.

65Fastback

Postby 65Fastback » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:39 am

Well, it's day two, no luck. I've searched from inside all my 2 year old toys (in case she saw it and decided to put it some where that it shouldn't be) all the way to inside of the shop-vac, in all our strollers, jackets, jeans, shorts, pants and even under the hood believe it or not just in case I put it somewhere while working on it.

I know the key is gone. I am a car guy and I don't lose anything car related. That's what pisses me off the most and the $100+ price tag to fix it doesn't help. I know what's gonna happen too. 6 months from now it will pop up.

Well... I guess I'm done with my rant

65Fastback

Postby 65Fastback » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:32 am

Regal Nissan in Roswell, GA:
$260 for key and Fob programmed! :x

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:48 am

65Fastback wrote:Regal Nissan in Roswell, GA:
$260 for key and Fob programmed! :x
Thats a horrible price. I got both for $200, and thats up here in Canada where we get robbed everytime we go to the dealer.

My wife lost her big ball of keys. House keys, trailer keys, mail key, Honda Key, Nissan Key. It was ridiculous. I finally broke down and bought the replacements, and not but a day later, we found her wad of keys in a melting snowbank outside my house.

DAMMIT

t

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 am

65Fastback wrote:Well, it's day two, no luck. I've searched from inside all my 2 year old toys (in case she saw it and decided to put it some where that it shouldn't be) all the way to inside of the shop-vac, in all our strollers, jackets, jeans, shorts, pants and even under the hood believe it or not just in case I put it somewhere while working on it.

I know the key is gone. I am a car guy and I don't lose anything car related. That's what pisses me off the most and the $100+ price tag to fix it doesn't help. I know what's gonna happen too. 6 months from now it will pop up.

Well... I guess I'm done with my rant
The worst part is that when you go into the dealer they program the old key and fob out so that they wont unlock, lock or start the truck. Lost my keys and bought a new fob and key, then I eventually found my lost keys and tried them and my truck wont start with it and the fob doesnt work anymore.

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:18 am

Check with your local Ace or independent hardware stores. I found several places that can do transponder keys for around $60 in Austin. The only difference is that the key is a copy of your current transponder key rather than a unique transponder key that the dealer will make.

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:26 pm

fobs you can do yourself , keys are dealer.
If you want to clear fobs from memory - dealer

If you're worried about security, you can clear all the old keys and fobs and only re-register the ones you have, so that if they fell into the wrong hands, no one can get in and start your truck. If you find them later, you can add them back in.

FYI - if you attempt to start with an-unregistered key a few times, it'll go into "lock mode" and you'll have to tow and bus to the dealer.

ZekeM

Postby ZekeM » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:53 am

HillbillyJake wrote:I bought a couple of fobs off of ebay and they were a piece of cake to set up. however the dealership has to do the keys.
Automotive locksmiths can also program keys.

ZekeM

Postby ZekeM » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:59 am

Tech wrote:fobs you can do yourself , keys are dealer.
If you want to clear fobs from memory - dealer

If you're worried about security, you can clear all the old keys and fobs and only re-register the ones you have, so that if they fell into the wrong hands, no one can get in and start your truck. If you find them later, you can add them back in.

FYI - if you attempt to start with an-unregistered key a few times, it'll go into "lock mode" and you'll have to tow and bus to the dealer.
Actually, with Nissans there is no way to program keys or fobs while retaining any old keys or fobs in the system. When you program keys to a Nissan, any old keys have to be reprogrammed at that time. Any keys not present at that time will be kicked out of the system. If you later find the keys, they will have to be reprogrammed.

Any reputable automotive locksmith can originate keys and/or program keys for these vehicles. It is not dealer only. Also, a mobile locksmith can provide mobile service, which a dealer will not provide. A mobile locksmith will save you a tow.

ssobol

Postby ssobol » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:24 am

I recently bought an '08 SE. It came with one key and fob. I bought two keys with integrated fobs off eBay. I went to the local locksmith who said he could program them. He cut the keys, however when he tried with his system, the new keys were not accepted, but the original key still worked. He was afraid that if he continued to try to program the new keys, the system would disable all of them. Apparently this has happened before.

I took the keys to the dealer and they programmed them with no problem. It cost $155 and that was with me supplying the new keys.

ZekeM

Postby ZekeM » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:57 pm

If the dealer was able to program your keys, any locksmith who knew what they were doing, and had the proper tools, would have been able to do it.

You bring up a good point. Even though these vehicles may not have come with integrated remote-head keys, you can put one on them. I did the same thing with my 2018 NV2500. I will also do the same with my new (to me) 2012 Pathfinder when I get around to it.

Be aware of one thing, when buying Chinese internet keys and remotes for pennies on the dollar in comparison to OEM keys. The quality is not going to be there in comparison. You can likely find someone to program them, and even cut them. I know it was not an issue in your case because your keys were good, but sometimes internet keys will not work. Sometimes they will work initially and for a month or two, and then quit working. By all means save the money and go that route, if you so desire, just know the risks.

There are a lot of smiths and lock shops out there who offer key generation and programming, when it really is not their Forte. If you need work done on any of your locks or you are having problems with your immobilizer system, find a locksmith who specializes in automotive locksmithing and does nothing else. This will particularly save you a lot of money if you are having serious problems. Immobilizer issues can be caused by many different things ranging from a bad key, to a bad immobilizer, to a bad cluster, to a bad ECU/ECM/PCM. A good automotive locksmith can diagnose and fix all of those problems, often at SUBSTANTIAL savings over what you might pay the dealer.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”