Another Front Light Bar

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:12 am

richardekirby wrote:I do have a couple questions. 1) My lights have a 2" mounting pad with a 1/2" stud. Is that standard for most lights? 2) How far over your hood does the kayak extend? I want to make sure the ropes do not rub on the hood. If you have a pic with your kayak on your Pathy, post it up for me to reference.
I honestly have no idea if a 1/2" stud is more or less the standard or not. The only specs I've been looking at are the dimensions, and none of the photos or pdfs I've saved mention anything about the stud diameter. That's obviously a great question. I'll see if I can google it tonight.

My kayaks only extend about halfway out & over the hood, but it's no biggie whatsoever. I have my rope tiedowns going through a soft/grippy flexible sleeve, so it sticks to the paint & won't rub:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:25 am

Here's one of the lights I'm considering. Some of the other KC lights I've looked at are also fairly deep, but it will give you a good idea as to how much depth is needed between the mounting hole & grill.

I haven't really decided on lights yet-way too many other things going on at the moment. With all the snow we've been getting, it'll probably be some time before I can even get this mounted, so absolutely no rush on anything. I gave in and ordered new headlights last Friday, so I'll have to install & test those first. And then we bought a 2011 Xterra Pro 4x (or whatever goofy name they have for it now) a couple of days ago, so it's just sitting in the garage for now until I get some time and can start looking it over & ordering up goodies for that. There is simply not enough damn time in a day.
Last edited by NVSteve on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:46 am

You would think finding basic info on the size of the mounting bolt would be easy. The few lights I saw that mention that spec have all said 1/2".

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:53 pm

You could leave it blank and drill it out when you get the lights.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:23 pm

GOTGOO wrote:You could leave it blank and drill it out when you get the lights.
I could do that. I wanted to custom make the light tabs for a cleaner look. Here is how I did mine:

Thanks for the light info. That will be useful. I've been looking around and most lights seem to be 1/2" and most light bars/bull bars also have 1/2" holes.

I got the main hoop done today and I'll fab and mount the light tabs tomorrow. I'll plan on doing a 2" square tab with rounded corners and a 1/2" hole.

Also, NVSteve, do you like this?

It does not need the support, but I thought it would look cool since it's nearly 36" wide. I'll use the same angles as the grille. Let me know what you think.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:08 am

richardekirby wrote:You could leave it blank and drill it out when you get the lights.
Yeah, that would work for me.
Looks great, as in "oh hell yes." What's the distance between the upper and lower bars? I keep trying to imagine this visually mounted on the PF, but my mind always seems to make that distance monsterous.

I'm liking the design. Very clean on paper.

Just throwing out ideas, but what do you think about this:

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 pm

NVSteve wrote:
richardekirby wrote:You could leave it blank and drill it out when you get the lights.
Yeah, that would work for me.
Looks great, as in "oh hell yes." What's the distance between the upper and lower bars? I keep trying to imagine this visually mounted on the PF, but my mind always seems to make that distance monsterous.

I'm liking the design. Very clean on paper.

Just throwing out ideas, but what do you think about this:

The distance between the upper and lower bars is just under 4". The main hoop is roughly 36"x6". I like your design but I've already made it rectangular shaped. I'll add the two diagonal bars tomorrow. I'm really liking this design. This thing is a monster. I may have to make me one too, only narrower to accomodate two lights instead of four.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:36 am

richardekirby wrote:The distance between the upper and lower bars is just under 4". The main hoop is roughly 36"x6". I like your design but I've already made it rectangular shaped. I'll add the two diagonal bars tomorrow. I'm really liking this design. This thing is a monster. I may have to make me one too, only narrower to accomodate two lights instead of four.
No problem on the shape. I just keep getting ideas in my head, which means I need to stop thinking about it. 4" sounds good. In fact, the entire project sounds great. I'm stoked that you are able & willing to do this, so many thanks in advance.

I just have to decide if I want to bedliner it or paint it. Some other link I clicked on showed a guy who built his own bar & painted it the same color as his truck. Looked very, very nice. I won't find rustoleum to match 100%, but I'm sure I can find something close. Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to paint over the top of bedliner?

cannonball

Postby cannonball » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:56 am

I'm liking the look of the light bar!

but has anyone thought about using something like this light in the bumper opening?

they come in various lengths and colors...

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:03 am

cannonball wrote:I'm liking the look of the light bar!

but has anyone thought about using something like this light in the bumper opening?

they come in various lengths and colors...

This guy has something similar he developed for a Frontier and should work on our Pathies.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=4067

I personally would not want to block the opening that much. It's very hot in Texas during the summer and I want all the airflow I can get.

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Did he ever say if he had it modified for the Pathfinder? His set up was for a Frontier, but I would absolutely love to have that on my PF.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:55 pm

gkb62001 wrote:Did he ever say if he had it modified for the Pathfinder? His set up was for a Frontier, but I would absolutely love to have that on my PF.
I'm not sure if he made it work for a Pathy or not. I would imagine they are identical, so it should not be that difficult.

bkmtnff

Postby bkmtnff » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:55 am

I measured my vertical dividers, I think they were spaced the same.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:04 pm

I made a little progress this afternoon. I need to do a little more welding and sanding. It's a very sturdy piece and I still want to add gussets to the L brackets if possible. I had to shorten the feet on the L brackets so it would clear the bumper opening. In doing so, it reduced the space available for the gussets. The 1/4"x2" steel used for the L brackets is much more rigid than the 3/16"x2" on mine. In the pics of it mounted on the car, it's a little off center because the brackets are narrower on this one than on mine and I only attached it on one side.

Let me know what y'all think?

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:09 pm

that looks awesome! I like the square one with the angled middle bars. What would you charge for an unpainted one?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”