New turbo and still smoking!! - HELP... please

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Nissan_man

New turbo and still smoking!! - HELP... please

Postby Nissan_man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi - I’m new so be gentle – searched for similar threads to no avail…..

I have a 2007 Pathfinder Aventura (25dci), which was serviced at 18000 (way before I bought it…. had it for a few months and ….. turbo went
Seems low oil lead to the turbo giving in at the knees!! Just had a 'oem' turbo fitted at 33000miles - mechanic said it will still smoke a bit due to their being some oil in the exhaust (which seems likely) but expected it to clear....
now 541miles extra and still smoking. On the motorway all seems fine and no smoke. Only recently without a long run…. after idle at lights/stop streets on in the drive when hard acceleration is puffs way too much smoke!!!
I need to know more from experts before I get taken down the garden path - please help!!!

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Can you tell me the color of the smoke.
Is it white, Gray, black, blue?
White smoke is a sign of timing or water and some times oil.
Black mean over fueling. This is normal on hard acceleration from a stop and should go away when you let off the fuel.
Gray is another one with wrong timing. If its to timed retarded it will be a grayish color.
Blueish is also a sign of oil.

I was a diesel mechanic for 10 years before leaving and becoming a firefighter/medic

Nissan_man

Postby Nissan_man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks for your help

White smoke - possibly a bit grey/blue

before the machanic goes gung ho on big end etc what should be checked/done to eliminate problems before just going for the expensive stuff?

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:34 pm

I don't know the maintenance for the Diesel but some engines say to check the valves at the first 15k miles then again at 100,k. One way to check if there is oil leaking and burning is to
1. pull off the exhuast pipe right after the turbo and look to see if its covered in oil.
yes oil is found---pull off the turbo and look at the exhaust manifold for oil
no oil seen---start engine with turbo off and look at the smoke Complain still there

If complaint is still there-- remove manifold from engine head.
No complaint---reinstall and start over.

Yes complaint. Now with manifold off start engine again and look at all exhaust ports. find the cycl that is leaking oil.

Now if that test is Neg.
Pressurize the coolant system and check for leaks.

But check to see if the over head (valves) needs to be check If there loose you can get smoke from that too.

Eckie

Postby Eckie » Tue May 24, 2011 1:08 am

Nissan_man wrote:Thanks for your help

White smoke - possibly a bit grey/blue

before the machanic goes gung ho on big end etc what should be checked/done to eliminate problems before just going for the expensive stuff?

How did you resolve this in the end, I have a PF blowing white/blue smoke that seems to be stumping local technicians.

Return to “General Automotive”