pathfinder 2003 after a oil change-noise need help

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

rhondas

pathfinder 2003 after a oil change-noise need help

Postby rhondas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:38 am

I just changed my oil [V6 automatic] LE 63,000 oringinal oner miles on it .I used penzoil 10x 30 weight and for the first time changed to Castrol regular oil 5x30 weight ,its recommended all over the owners manual to use 5x30, I also use only Nissan oil filters ,when I parked in to drop the wife off I noticed a slight dampened knock sound on the right engine bank for the first time, it goes away when you ride or rev it up a little. I used my stethoscope and couldn't really hear any unusual noises from the top of the engine, could it be a bad filter or a knock sensor? or whats your opinion.

fleurys

Re: pathfinder 2003 after a oil change-noise need help

Postby fleurys » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:59 am

rhondas wrote:I just changed my oil [V6 automatic] LE 63,000 oringinal oner miles on it .I used penzoil 10x 30 weight and for the first time changed to Castrol regular oil 5x30 weight ,its recommended all over the owners manual to use 5x30, I also use only Nissan oil filters ,when I parked in to drop the wife off I noticed a slight dampened knock sound on the right engine bank for the first time, it goes away when you ride or rev it up a little. I used my stethoscope and couldn't really hear any unusual noises from the top of the engine, could it be a bad filter or a knock sensor? or whats your opinion.
recheck your oil level.. that's one of the symptom of low oil level...

rhondas

Postby rhondas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:27 am

fleurys wrote:
rhondas wrote:I just changed my oil [V6 automatic] LE 63,000 oringinal oner miles on it .I used penzoil 10x 30 weight and for the first time changed to Castrol regular oil 5x30 weight ,its recommended all over the owners manual to use 5x30, I also use only Nissan oil filters ,when I parked in to drop the wife off I noticed a slight dampened knock sound on the right engine bank for the first time, it goes away when you ride or rev it up a little. I used my stethoscope and couldn't really hear any unusual noises from the top of the engine, could it be a bad filter or a knock sensor? or whats your opinion.
I just checked the level and its up to the prper top level.
thanks for the information.?

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:56 pm

rhondas wrote:
fleurys wrote:
Then, did you check the post about power valve issue... it is another symptom.. (noise at idle, no noise at rev...)

rhondas

Postby rhondas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:58 pm

fleurys wrote:
rhondas wrote:
fleurys wrote: recheck your oil level.. that's one of the symptom of low oil level...
Then, did you check the post about power valve issue... it is another symptom.. (noise at idle, no noise at rev...)
is this the post thanks
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... e27bb6d4d6

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:45 am

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 am

When I purchased my 2001 Pathfinder (used) it started knocking and pinging a bit. I found out that the previous owner had not been using Premium fuel, so I started with that and it immediately solved the problem. Don't know if it helps, but I thought I'd share.

ghostrider990

Postby ghostrider990 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:40 am

Theres no literal reason why a recent oil change should be the cause of this knocking.
The minor "viscosity change, wouldn't be the issue.
PERHAPS the minor differences in lubricity of the syn. vs. dino could be causing some "changes" internally....but THAT's a long shot.
if anything -- synthetic should QUIET an engine.

You're using two of the cheapest (literally) OIls on the market, btw.
Castrol is NOT a good quality base stock Synthetic (unless it was produced in Germany)
5w-30 is a good choice for winter driving when temps can dip below 0degf.

I'd recommend not running it past 5k miles -- but looks like you don't drive much.....so 3k. :(
Oil IS very subjective, however....i digress.

Give that knock some time to "settle", but keep an ear on it.

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 am

Cracked passenger side exhaust manifold? Will it go away after it warms up?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”