Yay
No votes
Nay
100%

Total votes: 20

Storm4.0

need opinions: Tire on top? or.... no.

Postby Storm4.0 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:26 pm

I'am debating on mounting my matching spare tire on top of the Pathy. I want to mount an air tank & pump under the chassis to rig up a valve to adjust my rear bags on the fly, and to have air on board for other things too. The dilemma is that there is no room under the chassis to mount a tank & pump. So the idea is to move the spare to the roof and mount the air tank & pump in its place. I really want to get rid of the factory rack all together and bolt down some tracks and mount a basket up there to put the spare in. The question is... Does it look stupid with the spare mounted on the factory rack? Or should I just wait and buy the tracks and basket first and worry about the air system later.

I think it looks.... meh :roll:

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:50 pm

I had mine up there for awhile, but didn't care for the look and you could tell it was up there when turning. Thats what started my swing out tire carrier.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Don't want to offend anyone here, but I think the tire on top & the tire in the bed of a pickup (one of those prerunner tire mounts that takes up 3/4 of the bed) are super lame-o. For one thing, it looks bad on top. For another, I'd imagine it creates quite a bit of drag. My kayaks are about 45 lbs each, but it is extremely difficult for me to put one on top by myself, at least from the side. I can't even imagine how much of a PITA it would be to pull a tire off the top or put one up there.

Totally agree with the swingaway tire carrier for the rear. That's how it should be done. If you don't want to fabricate one, I do know a couple Australian companies make them. Not sure about US availability though.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:11 pm

NVSteve, you're def not offending. I took it down the road & your right, GOTGOO, it feels more tippy. Plus sometimes when I buy stuff that is oversized I throw it on the rack, which is now rendered useless :?. I love the swing away idea... but I'm not into fabricating one.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Do you really need the tank? Most of the air systems I've seen just run pumps that can easily fit under the rear or even under the hood. I want nothing to do with adding weight/drag to the top of an already top-heavy SUV.

I just adjust mine with a portable compressor. Granted I can't do it from the drivers seat but beyond the gee-whiz factor....how often do you really think you'd use it? That's a lot of modding for on-board air when something more simple may work out good enough. I've adjusted my bags exactly twice since I've installed.

Npath

Re: need opinions: Tire on top? or.... no.

Postby Npath » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Hard core off roaders take out the AC. With the AC pump still in, they use that to air up their tires or use it to swap wheels when the tire is unusable.

They simply run the engine to make air.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Keep that wheel down below and pick up a ViaAir 100% duty cycle compressor. You can run air tools and inflate tires with no tank. They're wicked-cool and a lot of hard core off-roaders swear by them.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:34 am

IcedTeasley wrote:Keep that wheel down below and pick up a ViaAir 100% duty cycle compressor. You can run air tools and inflate tires with no tank. They're wicked-cool and a lot of hard core off-roaders swear by them.
Great idea! I checked them out on the ViaAir site. I already took the tire back off the roof. I adjust my bags alot between hauling my boat and utility trailer, so I need a decent air setup. I have to have my roof rack also, therefore I decided.... NO :D

bkmtnff

Postby bkmtnff » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:53 am

NVSteve wrote:Don't want to offend anyone here, but I think the tire on top & the tire in the bed of a pickup (one of those prerunner tire mounts that takes up 3/4 of the bed) are super lame-o. For one thing, it looks bad on top. For another, I'd imagine it creates quite a bit of drag. My kayaks are about 45 lbs each, but it is extremely difficult for me to put one on top by myself, at least from the side. I can't even imagine how much of a PITA it would be to pull a tire off the top or put one up there.

Totally agree with the swingaway tire carrier for the rear. That's how it should be done. If you don't want to fabricate one, I do know a couple Australian companies make them. Not sure about US availability though.
just quoting for truth. It's your pathfinder, but I wouldn't do it to mine.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm with everyone else... nay to the tire on top. Rasta 4x4 makes a swing-away carrier and it looks like 4x4parts may be a distributor here in the states (though I don't see it on their website).

http://www.rasta4x4.com/ProductsByModel ... l?Model=11

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”