'06 Pathfinder - IPDM, Cat Converter and now ECM relay

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

such_is

'06 Pathfinder - IPDM, Cat Converter and now ECM relay

Postby such_is » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:23 pm

I don't know a lot about cars but this is what is going on and I need some advice. Basically, "check engine" light was on, I was going to take my car in after work but I couldn't make it to work because car died as I was driving but battery wasn't the issue. Towed it to the Nissan that I had purchased my car new in 2006.

Nissan told me it was an IPDM issue. I paid to get that replaced. I needed an oil change so I got that done as well, I would usually do this at home but recently have converted to getting it done at a local mechanics. After I got my car back about two days later, the "check engine" light comes on again. I take it back irritated and they tell me that both of my catalytic converters are in TERRIBLE shape. Quote for this repair is $2,300.

By the way I need to do smog by January so I need to get this repaired. I have about 94k miles on my car.

Two questions:

First Question:
I called Nissan today about IPDM refund since I've been seeing some stuff about the recall and Nissan said that the ECM relay recall is out but not the IPDM. I think this is such BS because the IPDM was probably messed up because of ECM. I want to call Nissan headquarters for the repair but I'm sure they are going to say it is not related... I want some support information that someone may have.

Second questions:
How do my catalytic converters go from normal or whatever state it was in prior to my IPDM repair and all of a sudden, it is in terrible shape? Also, after I drove my car home because I did not want to repair it, I felt power lag and my oil level was above full and did not go down.

I don't understand.... All of a sudden I have some serious repairs required??? After 4 years of having the car? I'm not sure what the deal is here? Any suggestions?

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:18 pm

The IPDM relay is available alone now, without the entire IPDM. They should have given you the option. Throw that back at them. The IPDM ECM relay is for 2005/2006 and the campaign is out already.....did they not check campaigns before writing your repair order?!? They're supposed to! Ask about that too! You have a good chance.

Ask how they qualified your cats as terrible. Did they just read the code? Did they check efficency? Physically look at them? Did they check mixture ratio first?

such_is

Postby such_is » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:22 am

They didn't give me any information prior to doing the repair so I can't say what they did or didn't do. As far as the cat's go, they did say they took the car apart to look at it, although I never physically saw it.... so who knows.

Thanks, your response helps me get started.

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:21 pm

such_is wrote:They didn't give me any information prior to doing the repair so I can't say what they did or didn't do. As far as the cat's go, they did say they took the car apart to look at it, although I never physically saw it.... so who knows.

Thanks, your response helps me get started.
Some shops try to take advantage of women, especially when they don't have someone with them.

Taking the cats out require time and gaskets to prevent air leaks.

Don't be surprised if they do not have the ECM in stock. To some dealers, this is completely new.

snickawinn

Postby snickawinn » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:50 am

Susan, I feel for you. We have very similar stories. I have an '05 Pathfinder SE and had for almost 4yrs with no probs. First prob I had was the fuel sending unit which Nissan said wasn't in the recall, and that was almost 2yrs ago. Here lately, I had some noise and lagging so I took it to the dealer and they told me both my catalytic converters were bad and quoted me $2300 (outrageous) and they didn't even give a breakdown of cost on the parts. I ordered my own converters and had fiance put them on for $600, and only 1 was actually bad. Right after that was taken care of, my darn car started shutting off on me on the highway here and there. Dangerously scary with a baby in the truck. Nissan told me $479 for new IPDM and $90 for labor. I bought one from Cherryhill Nissan in NJ and I have driven it for a week now and had no problems until yesterday. It shut off on me once. Now I'm paranoid and back looking for answers. I hope you get your issues resolved soon. Good luck!!

such_is

Postby such_is » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:49 am

So I have to do smog in January and I was told that catalytic converters need to be Nissan Manufactured and i've heard from some other people that it doesn't have to be from Nissan. How do I know whats the truth??? I live in California.

Thanks.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:19 pm

such_is wrote:So I have to do smog in January and I was told that catalytic converters need to be Nissan Manufactured and i've heard from some other people that it doesn't have to be from Nissan. How do I know whats the truth??? I live in California.

Thanks.
a good question........
this may be a source of information for you: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktca ... mktcat.htm
if you don't find the info in the website, you can contact them for more specifics
also, a reputable muffler shop may also be a source of info
but first, it would be a good idea to verify that the cats are in need of replacement (verify the diagnosis - second opinion)! :wink:

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Doesn't have to be OE manufacturer, but must meet specs. Must also be CARB and 50 state if aftermarket. You in Cali happen to have the most strict regulations

such_is

Postby such_is » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks for everyones help... and sorry but I have another question- the catalytic converters, could they have anything to do with the ECM relay or IPDM? I just feel like there are too many people on this forum with the same cat converter problems, I do not want to pay for this because I feel like these are problems Nissan should be fixing.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

I just went to nissan last week to get ECM relay fixed. They wrote a note on the paper that said:

Vehicle started and ran right off, tow truck system has codes stored for multi-misfire left side cat noisy timing chain/tensioner noisy engine stutters when accelerating.

I tried to look up multi-misfire and catalytic converters to get more info and it seems that even if i replaced my cats, the problem isn't really fixed... so what is the problem?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 pm

The cats COULD be your problem.

In the event that the matrix has deteriorated, the holes in the honeycomb can plug up, restricting the exhaust and causing misfire. This should be evident from the erratic "alpha" readings.

Having said that though, misfires are the primary contributing cause to failed cats. Should you replace the cat(s) and the misfire still exists, you'll be under a time crunch to rectify the misfire before it ruins your new cats.

It's kind of a chicken/egg thing. cats cause misfire or misfire cause cats?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Mine just went in to Nissan for a check engine light. Turns out it needs the drivers side cat. I'm at 72K now. I had the passenger side cat done at 55K.

They also diagnosed a bad timing chain tensioner. I have an extended warranty to 75K. Looks like I'm getting lucky these things happened now and not after I'm out of warranty.

I think we should get a s"ticky" going where we can all list our problems and the mileage when we had the issues.

CPTCoke

05 Pathfinder LE CAT Problems

Postby CPTCoke » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Bought an 05 Path new. Passenger side CAT converter had to be replaced @ 63k (luckily under 100k extended warranty). At 78k the car shut off while travelling several times. Battery was replaced.

Took the Path into the Dealer at 98k to check rough idle. No issues found. At 101k (warranty just expired) engine light came on. Code was for right side CAT again. Dealer wanted $1300. I asked if they checked for other issues since the vehicle was maintained properly and this would be the second CAT replaced on the passenger side. Dealer service dept said that the code was the answer.

After discussing this, the Dealership said that there has been issues with CATs on pathfinders and suggested that I contact Nissan Corporate. I did and even though between my wife and I we have had 5 Nissans (3 new, 2 used) in 15 years we were not considered "loyal" customers because we did not do all service at the dealer and did not qualify for what they called "financial assistance" with the problem.

Bought a CAT from the dealer and had it installed by my mechanic (102k) who looked at the CAT and did not find any major issues with the CAT. The car ran ok for about a month and the Service Engine Soon light came back on. Code was the same. After some research on the net. I ended up replacing the IPDM module and the code cleared and passed emissions. I also changed plugs and wires at this time. All much cheaper than a CAT. The code came back on again and runs rough sometimes. No plans on what to do from here.

I am not an engineer for this vehicle but believe there is an issue with the programing in the computer causing poor performance in the engine.

At this point I will not replace the CAT now and will run it into the ground and replace the truck.

Love the car but Nissan did not want to work through this to support the customer and find the real problem with their product. I'll buy a Ford or Honda next time since Nissan didn't care about a customer.

Some states allow emission exemptions if you try to repair an issue that persists on the vehicle. I recommend speaking to your mechanic about obtaining an exemption. Keep in mind that this may put a flag on your vehicle and reduce trade in value.

Good luck

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Here are the issues I have had. I just got my vehicle back from last repairs listed. I have 72,504 on the truck now and my extended warranty ends at 75,000. I am seriously considering trading it in on a new Honda Pilot when the warranty expires.

Milage Issue & Outcome (Not including tire/brakes/batteries)

16,037 Clunking noise over bumps - steering gear replaced
16,075 Clunking noise not resolved - lube sprayed on mounts/suspension
22,971 Clunking noise not resolved - lube sprayed on rubber hood stops
23,234 Clunking noise not resolved - found LT/FT body mount bad
41,741 Fuel sending unit failed - fuel sending unit replaced
42,812 IPDM failed and vehicle stalled in traffic - IPDM replaced
49,505 A/C quit working - high pressure hose replace & recharged
54,087 Check Engine Light on - passenger side catalytic converter bad
54,087 Passenger side motor mount found to be bad at same time
64,967 Oil Pressure high - Replaced oil pressure sensor
72,504 Check engine Ligt on - drivers side catalytic converter bad
72,504 Drivers side motor mount found to be bad at same time
72,504 Timing chain tensioners found to be bad at same time
72,504 Recall performed on ECM Relay

CPTCoke

Postby CPTCoke » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 pm

Trade for the Honda... unless Nissan gives you a great deal.

Nissan will have to do the same to keep me but after speaking with the corporate rep I don't see that happening.

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:49 am

I have an 06 with 95,000miles and i have had the fuel sensor relay replaced approximately 5 time and they finally got it right. I have had the tensioner fixed. i also bought the IPDM to replace the one in the car but only when it goes. I found out about the ECM recall so i will be getting that fixed at nissan and i received a letter from Nissan about the radiator recall but they would only do it if my Path had under 80,000 or under 5yr old. I havent tried to take it in for that since my car has 95,000mi but i am thinking about contacting Nissan to see if they will still fix it. I had already done the rad cooling hose to tranny fix so i am not sure if they will even touch it if they find out that.

I will be looking to replace the path soon for something more reliable.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”