87 Pathfinder loss of power

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Ukyo8

87 Pathfinder loss of power

Postby Ukyo8 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this forums and just wanted to say hi :mrgreen:

I just bought an 87 Pathfinder with a V6 and automatic transmission.

I've never driven a Pathfinder before but I'm noticing that mine is REALLY slow, so slow that I'm having trouble keeping up with traffic.

Anything I should look for? I know that the catalytic converter was plugged before and the previous owner welded a straight pipe there, otherwise everything is completely stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Scaramoche

loss of power

Postby Scaramoche » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:01 am

i could be many things, but alot depends on what your symptoms are. is the engine sluggish? is the transmissing slipping? is it ok going from 1-3 gear(in auto) but higher gears are where it kinda peters out?

ether way you pathy, is old, and probably has alot of miles on the enginer. First i would do the regular maintenence, plugs, distributor cap, timming belt. Also, make sure it's timmed. You also may have clogged, faulty injectors on the throttle body.

In a nuttshell because the age of the pathy, you just need to start fixing things that have probably been neglected. the VG30 is a strong, awesosme engine, but it may also just be tired and need a rebuild(last thing to check). in the end, check all the other things, they will improve your performance some.

87/92Pathfinder owner

Re: 87 Pathfinder loss of power

Postby 87/92Pathfinder owner » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:09 am

my 92 was an automatic it did the same then the trani started slippin eventually came down to having to replace the transmission cuz the the transmission soon after wouldnt engage, found out a small leak was part of the problem never caught it in time...

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”