vdc / abs issue?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

maxwgn

vdc / abs issue?

Postby maxwgn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:38 am

Hi, new here - my girlfriend has an 08 pathy with 40k on the clock. At random times, and usually when cold, but not always, the 'slip' icon lights on the screen, and the left front wheel will begin to brake on it's own, for no reason - there is a groaning noise from in the dash about this same time. When this happens, pressing the VDC button on the console does nothing at all, until the slip light goes out, and the groaning and self-braking stops.

This happened to her once before and she took it to a dealership who told her is was an abs module, and that it would cost about $580 to repair.

I need to know if this sounds correct, and where I could buy one, and how hard it might be to change out... this is a major safety issue with winter coming on, and she transports our 5 kids around in it...

Rach's Pathy

Postby Rach's Pathy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:54 am

How do you know the left front wheel is braking? Is this happening while driving in snow, or wet pavement? I'm not sure if it would be the ABS module, or a wheel speed sensor.

maxwgn

Postby maxwgn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Well, the sound is definately coming from the left front, and the steering wheel pulls SLIGHTLY to the left - this was done while driving in a straight line, on dry, cool pavement - no snow, water, nothing. JUST dry pavement...

As said, when it's happening, the VDC button on the console does not respond, or do anything - as soon as it stops, pressing the button displays the vdc off light in cluster.

This is why I was thinking the module - and the dealership that checked it out the first time it happened, a couple of months back, right after she bought it, also said it was a module.

However, I was curious if a wheel speed sensor COULD cause this?

I searched, but likely had wrong terms - how do I check the ABS codes?

If it IS a module, I'm sure it's a dealer only item, but does anyone know WHERE it is, and/or how to change it out?

maxwgn

Postby maxwgn » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:58 am

no one has any ideas?

ok, here's a simple one, as I've had OBDII cars before that did not scan this way - will a standard OBDII scanner pull ABS codes?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”