Mufflers......

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

freak2180

Mufflers......

Postby freak2180 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:38 pm

I know this horse has been beat'n sevral times, but Im curious as to what everyone has tried. I know the consensus seems to be Magnaflow, and Gibson as a close 2nd. Has anyone tried a Flowmaster Super44 or any other muffler? Im just curious as to what it would sound like with the rear reso still installed. I know Flows are not the best and have a tendency to rust, but I also know that higher end mufflers can fail also.......I have a Stainless Borla Pro XS on my 04 Ram pickup that is starting crack all around the inlet tube. Please let me know what you guy's have tried and what the results where.

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Nothing......wow.......
It really suprisees me that no one has ventured out side the Magnaflow, Gibson world............or at least no one has mentioned it. Even a google & Youtube search didnt pull up much.

I guess I will just have to try it out (super44) and see. I know it was one of the quieter mufflers I had ever put on my Ram so we will see. I will of course make the change reversable so if it dosent grow on me I can just put the stocker back on in my drive way.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't have any info for you on the flowmaster but here is a great link on how to eliminate the restrictive "Y" pipe. I'm going to eventually do this to mine.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=gibson

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:23 pm

I have seen the thread about the y-pipe and I think I am going to leave it alone. The 02-09 dodge ram trucks had a very similar y-pipe and alot of guys (including me) had theirs swapped for what should have been a better more free flowing solution. Turns out it hurt my low end so bad it wasnt funny.....the truck was/is constantly hunting for gear that will make it happy when going up hill and in heavy head winds. So just from that experiance I will leave well enough alone.......I just want a lil more exhaust sound when I stomp on it. I already hav the Super44 on a shelf in the shop so I will only be out the cost of replacement at the muffler shop ($30 mabiee). Im just suprised that I havent been able to find more info on the web concerning exhaust for the 05 & up Pathy's.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:26 pm

freak2180 wrote:I have seen the thread about the y-pipe and I think I am going to leave it alone. The 02-09 dodge ram trucks had a very similar y-pipe and alot of guys (including me) had theirs swapped for what should have been a better more free flowing solution. Turns out it hurt my low end so bad it wasnt funny.....the truck was/is constantly hunting for gear that will make it happy when going up hill and in heavy head winds. So just from that experiance I will leave well enough alone.......I just want a lil more exhaust sound when I stomp on it. I already hav the Super44 on a shelf in the shop so I will only be out the cost of replacement at the muffler shop ($30 mabiee). Im just suprised that I havent been able to find more info on the web concerning exhaust for the 05 & up Pathy's.
Interesting information on the "Y" pipe.

And it seems to be difficult to find any after market support for the Pathfinder.

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:36 pm

I only speak from experiance with my Ram.......The Pathy is a compleatly diff animal. All I know is that my 07 Stock Pathy has more balls than my 04 Ram that has a Volant CAI, Borla proXS muffler and,Modded y-pipe.......Its actually pretty embarising. That is why I have given my ram to my wife......She loves the look & sound of it and thats all that matters to her and I get the "Soccer Mom" Pathy. If she only Knew what I have in store it.

bdsams

Postby bdsams » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:07 am

freak2180 wrote:I only speak from experiance with my Ram.......The Pathy is a compleatly diff animal. All I know is that my 07 Stock Pathy has more balls than my 04 Ram that has a Volant CAI, Borla proXS muffler and,Modded y-pipe.......Its actually pretty embarising. That is why I have given my ram to my wife......She loves the look & sound of it and thats all that matters to her and I get the "Soccer Mom" Pathy. If she only Knew what I have in store it.
Ive never heard the pathfinder get called the "soccer mom" vehicle. I strike it here on the record that this be the first and last time it ever be called upon that name so help me God.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:02 pm

bdsams wrote:Ive never heard the pathfinder get called the "soccer mom" vehicle. I strike it here on the record that this be the first and last time it ever be called upon that name so help me God.
+1 :lol:

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

LOL ........anything thats not a sports car, pick-up truck, or whatever her idea of HOT is .....is a "Soccer Mom" car. I find it funny sometimes that she thinks the way she does. She has always disliked most of my trucks at first , but after some work they are "HOT" in here eyes.....lol. I looked over on ClubXterra while the path was down and found a few people that seem to love the sound of a flow 40 series on there truck and was just curious if anyone here has ventured in that direction.....I have a Flow Super44 that Im tempted to try in combo with the rear reso.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:43 pm

freak2180 wrote:Nothing......wow.......
It really suprisees me that no one has ventured out side the Magnaflow, Gibson world............or at least no one has mentioned it. Even a google & Youtube search didnt pull up much.
I have several street/ drag racing buddies that told me that Flowmaster mufflers are restrictive pieces of junk. And I liked the results that MTBPath achieved with a Magnaflow and eliminating the "Y" pipe.

Also, I think that since there isnt much out there for our Pathy's in a cat back kit, we will follow what is tried and true... not much to go on for either, unfortunately.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:47 pm

freak2180 wrote:I have seen the thread about the y-pipe and I think I am going to leave it alone. The 02-09 dodge ram trucks had a very similar y-pipe and alot of guys (including me) had theirs swapped for what should have been a better more free flowing solution. Turns out it hurt my low end so bad it wasnt funny.....the truck was/is constantly hunting for gear that will make it happy when going up hill and in heavy head winds. So just from that experiance I will leave well enough alone.
You are right that the Pathy is a different animal. Trust me that eliminating the "Y" pipe wont have the same results as the Dodge. l replaced mine and gained 2/10's in my 1/4 mile et's. There is no question that it helped. Sounds good too.

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:20 pm

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/catback ... 9_348.html

Catback options $350-$475 + shipping

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:41 pm

I've got to chime in and say... I LOVE my Gibson stainless cat-back, it has the perfect tone (for me) and is not too loud. I had a Frontier with a Flomaster and custom exhaust & actually lost alot of torque, I was way into the gas when towing. So I got rid of it and bought an aluminized Gibson cat-back, of course, I loved it. This is why I chose the Gibson over Flowmaster, I had experienced the difference. And I will NOT buy a Magnaflow it has packing and it will burn out, and it will get louder with time. I think an exhust that is tuned correctly should last and give the same performance at 100,000 miles as it did at 0 miles. Also the Y pipe on the Gibson is MUCH bigger and smoother (mandrel) than stock. The restrictive area every Pathfinder owner should be concerned with is the part of the exhaust is a 14" section of smashed pipe above the IRS (aleast it was squished down to 1" on my '05).

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:59 pm

I guess the only way I will Know what this super44 will sound like is to try it out. I can always go back to stock if I dont like it. Im just not wanting to drop $300+ on exhaust right now. My goals are turned more towards a 2in lift and a lil larger tire. I just thought what the hell......its new and sittin on a shelf....why not try it out. I have looked at several diff mods and for me it all keeps coming back to the looks and funcionality of the lift ( I work in the oil feild ).

driftedoffroad

Postby driftedoffroad » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:01 pm

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT SOUND CLIPS!!!! :D

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”