Extended warranty covered trans...now what?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Budrbean

Extended warranty covered trans...now what?

Postby Budrbean » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Ok so I am in a dilemma and am wondering if anyone has any advice.

I bought this Pathfinder used with 56,000 miles and at 65,000 miles the transmission went out. Im not 100% sure if it had anything to do with coolant because I did do the bypass. However, some could have leaked in there before I did the bypass. At any rate, I purchased an extended warranty through a 3rd party company. They were obviously aware of the faults because they sent a new radiator to be installed as well. Long story short, they put a rebuilt trans in and it only costed me $100 deductible.

Fastforward to now and Nissan has decided they will warrant this type of work. And lo and behold, I am having probs with the new transmission jumping to limp home mode. Sounds like a solenoid in the valve body going bad.

Now, the 3rd party people will only be warrantying this trans for another 10,000 miles.....still short of Nissans extension. So I really dont know what to do. I would like to take it back to Nissan and have a new trans put in but I dont know how that will work considering someone else already did that and it was done under the 3rd party warranty.

I think maybe a good thing has just turned into a sticky situation. I would be happy if Nissan would just warranty the trans as promised, but I dont see them doing that because its not the factory trans.

Any comments/ideas/suggestions? One way or another, somebody owes somebody something, I just dont exactly know who lol....and I need my problem fixed if this happens again.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:02 pm

By the way, if nothing else I feel Nissan owes me the remainder of what I paid for rental car and my deductible back.

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:18 pm

I would still take it back to a Nissan dealership and make them fix it. It is Nissan's fault they did not take responsibility for this problem sooner. It is not your fault you had to get it fixed before they extended the warranty.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:19 pm

this is a bit of a head-spinner :shock:
seems to me that whatever may be wrong with it at this point should be the responsibility of whoever did your transmission repair, as there may be something wrong with parts or labor from that episode
if Nissan had done the repair, they perhaps should be responsible for the issue, but they weren't involved at that point
that being said, the responsibility really cannot be assigned to anyone until the problem (at this time) has been specifically diagnosed

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:26 pm

If the trans shop put in a used transmission (or even a re-built not properly re-done) there's a chance it could have also been contaminated with coolant as well. Just a thought. At this point it's up to the trans shop and your warranty company to rectify the problem. The trans shop may try to blame it on the part the warranty company said they had to use and the warranty company may blame it on the trans shop. Let us know what happens.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:02 pm

I think I will start by calling Nissan and discussing it with them on Monday.....cant hurt. I gotta do something soon. Was backing out of driveway tonight to go to work and it quit pulling in reverse. Cycled the key and it was back to normal. Just concerned because we are expecting 5-6 inches of snow by Monday and I work in public safety so I have to drive to work. Not a good time to be experiencing these issues.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:17 am

How many miles are you at now and how long ago was the first repair?

FYI...Nissan will not put a "new" transmission in it either. It will always be a rebuilt unit. The question is what type of rebuild was the first unit the 3rd party used. If this was sourced from the same place a Nissan dealer would source one...you should be in a decent position to argue. Otherwise it will be on the 3rd party.

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:28 am

My bet is if you call Nissan and explain everything they will tell you its between you and the trans shop and your warranty company.

You just got it rebuilt. There's always a warranty isn't there? I had another vehicle and had a rebuilt tranny put in and it was warrantied for a year. It blew in a year and a week and they put another rebuilt one in without any hassle. Did you talk to the tranny shop? Whats their explanation for the tranny problems? I would be more up their ass than Nissan's.

i think Nissan is going to tell you they may reimburse your 3rd party company for their expenses but... they will tell you to deal with the people who put the tranny in.

OR.... you can just take it into a Nissan dealer (one you have not contacted about your tranny problem before) and tell them nothing. Just fix the tranny problem and see where you go from there.

Never offer any extra information unless they ask.

But you are pretty much "pot committed" to take a poker term and should go after the tranny shop.

PS... Where did you buy your service contract from?

PSS... If I was you, and I love Nissan's, is fix it somehow (make it work)and trade it in for another vehicle. I would never be happy with it again. I would always be thinking the tranny is going to crap out again no matter who did the work.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:54 pm

It is a remanufactured transmission......put in at 65,000 miles. I am nearing 68,000 now.

The shop will have no explanation as to what happened. They were shipped the transmission and they installed it. The problem is inside with a solenoid somewhere. And yes it is warranted til 80,000....my biggest issue is this warranty company charges a $100 deductible and last time my rental car costed me $800 because it took a month for the warranty people to file the claim and fix it. Its a huge pain in the ass.....which is why I would rather deal with Nissan.

Here is how I see it should happen. Nissan owes the warranty company the money for the transmission and work, then they owe me reimbursement on rental car and towing. And since this issue would have never happened if they fixed in the first place, Nissan should cover my rental car again and towing if needed. Im just gonna call Nissan and see what they suggest I do because this is an issue THEY should have fixed long ago and we can all agree on that. I love how their letter stated that this is not a wide spread problem.

Simply taking it to the dealer and telling them the transmission is bad wont work. They will see its a brand new rebuilt trans...and besides if the fluids arent mixed they will know better anyways. Its not their first rodeo.

And trading it in is not an option...cant afford that.

The warranty plan is through Master Tech

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Budrbean wrote:It is a remanufactured transmission......put in at 65,000 miles. I am nearing 68,000 now.

Nissan owes the warranty company the money for the transmission and work
probably
Budrbean wrote:then they owe me reimbursement on rental car and towing.
probably not
does your Master Tech warranty cover rentals or towing?
Nissans base warranty does not
generally speaking, no warranty covers anything that it does not state is covered
they may reimburse on a good-will basis if you can convince them that it is justified
Budrbean wrote: And since this issue would have never happened if they fixed in the first place, Nissan should cover my rental car again and towing if needed. Im just gonna call Nissan and see what they suggest I do because this is an issue THEY should have fixed long ago and we can all agree on that.
did Nissan have the opportunity to do it in the first place, that is, did you take the truck to them to evaluate the problem at any time?
Budrbean wrote:The warranty plan is through Master Tech
this is the "head-spinning" part
it's always been my experience that a manufacturer will have a much more "willing ear" if the extended warranty was bought from them, rather than "third Party", and if the vehicle was taken to one of their dealerships whether there was an extended warranty or not
it will be very hard to convince them at this point to clean up this mess, other than reimbursement for the minimum that they consider themselves responsible for :(
just my 2 cents........

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:03 pm

The letter from Nissan specifically states they will reimburse any rental car and towing fees.....so why would my situation be any different???

And no Nissan did not have the opportunity to fix it first. Why would I take it there and spend $3,000 for them to evaluate it and replace the transmission when I purchased an extended warranty that is supposed to cover this? That is a moot point all together!

And how am I supposed to buy a Nissan extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle used at a Honda dealership?

Im not expecting Nissan to say "sure bring it on in and we'll put a new trans in"....but I do feel like they have some liability somewhere for part of my expenses because this has been a known issue for a long time. Had they of extended the warranty two months ago I would have took it to the dealer. Otherwise, I cant afford to get raped. Regardless its a parts problem with the new trans and I know it will get fixed under warranty, just trying to map out the least painful way cause its my only vehicle to drive. Last time it took 30 days to get it fixed

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:06 pm

I'd call the 3rd party provider and explain it to them. They should be able to pursue Nissan for the cost of repair in the first place. If necessary, they should take them to court, but that is not your problem, unless your warranty parchment says you are covered for only uncovered items.

Also, the 3rd party should be responsible to fix the botched repair. Just like a Nissan dealer would be on the hook if they botched it.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:27 pm

That rebuilt transmission should have warranty on it from the manufacturer (whoever that is). I've not seen any that don't at least have 12 month, 12k miles unless it's "Tom Henry's Junk Yard" (a real place btw....and it's far more "Deliverance"-esk than you can imagine). Let them have a crack at fixing this one again. Most factory remans are pretty good and such a low-mileage issue is likely just an anomaly.

As for the rental reimbursement...I guess you could chase Nissan for it. But since most of the rental charges were because of this 3rd party warranty playing games with you....I wouldn't expect to see anything more than a few days reimbursement AT BEST. Not worth the hassle in my book.

Good luck though. You're in a bad way given the non-Nissan reman but I guess that's just life sometimes. Does Mastertech not allow you to use a Nissan dealer for repairs?

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:07 am

I called the 3rd party company and they said that if it is a parts failure, they would have no issue having the manufacturer send another for replace. However, they suggested I contact Nissan also

Nissan said for me to take it to the dealer and have it diagnosed. If it is the trans then it would be covered since I didnt know about the warranty extension until after I had it fixed. I will believe it when I see it!

At any rate, it will be fixed by somebody. Dealer cant get to it til next Tuesday.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:40 am

Have you called the trans. shop that put the last one in for you? Sounds like they should be the one going to bat for you here. They put in a unit, and presumably got paid for it (by the extended warranty company) that shizzed the bed in a very short period of time. Any good shop should take care of this.

I think you could go after Nissan for the $100 deductible you paid, but that is about where their problem ends since you chose to go another route with it before.

Also, $800 rental fees? Good God man, why didn't you just tell the transmission shop to get crackin' while the warranty company got things straightened out?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”