Noise In 4 Wheel Drive

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

bigchieftablet

Noise In 4 Wheel Drive

Postby bigchieftablet » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:39 pm

I have a 2007 Pathfinder S. Just got it a few months ago. Love it! I'm here in Oklahoma and we just got 18+ inches of snow, so I'm getting to use the 4 wheel drive for the first time. Problem is when I have to make a sharp left or right turn there is a noise coming from my from left that sounds like something slipping and grinding. Anybody have any ideas. Really don't want to take it to a shop unless I have to. Thanks!

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:45 am

I am sure someone will reply with a more technical answer, but it is my understanding that if you are in 4WD the wheels will spin at the same speed so if you turn real sharp, you are getting some binding because the inside wheel is wanting to turn faster then the outside wheel.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:24 am

sounds perfectly normal.

you should also feel some heaviness on the steering.

does it have the Auto setting, or just 4H- 4L?

bigchieftablet

Postby bigchieftablet » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:27 am

It's a bare bones Pathfinder, which is what I wanted, with 4H-4L. Freakin' LOVE this thing! I've had old Jeeps in the past, but this puppy is by far superior. I have yet to get stuck, even after having to suddenly detour through a ditch, field, frozen swamp and then up the side of an on ramp. There was a wreck in front of me on the highway.

arrdode

Postby arrdode » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:59 am

Not sure why my path 2wd/4Hi and 4Lo feel extra heavy when switch from 2 to 4wd. Driving feels more traction, but turning corner seems like someone is pulling from behind. Especially 4wd in reverse for parking, it feels like the handbrake is on. Guess I am not the only one.

The only car I have driven for comparison is the CR-V with automatic 4wd. It felt much smoother.

Any words of wisdom or shed some light here?

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Being in the japanese auto repair business & owning an 06 Pathfinder LE, maybe I can shed some light on this concern.
When the pathfinder is in 4h or 4l, it is as though all 4 wheels are locked together & turning at the same speed. When you veer from a straight path - turning right or left in forward or reverse, there will be some binding & "hopping" of the tires on dry pavement. On wet pavement, in snow or sand, there is some slippage so that is not a problem. The steering will feel heavy compared to notmal driving.
The Toyota Rav 4 has all wheel drive which have a viscus clutch in the transfer case which lets the wheels rotate at different speeds when turning, allowing some slippage, therefore you don't feel the binding.
I know this isn't completly accurate, but I hope it clarifys the concern.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:59 pm

CRV's operate the same as Rav 4's

bigchieftablet

Postby bigchieftablet » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Sweet. :D I was really worried that I had already messed my rig up. I have a tendency to tear vehicles apart. My grandfather once said that I could break a crowbar. I'm hoping the Pathfinder can handle what I throw at it.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”