2008 R51 pathfinder coolant smell where the heck is it comin

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

bog

2008 R51 pathfinder coolant smell where the heck is it comin

Postby bog » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:12 pm

noticed that rad was low, topped it up..thought it was good to go. After long ride ride stopped for coffee. Had a smell of coolant. Now leaks..decided to let it rest for 30 min. checked on the ground and no leaks..had to top up the rad..rad good the next day..still smell of coolant. Parked on covered snow....no sign of leaks after hours...damn jacket rabbit is drinking my coolant...thought of head gasket but over flow had normal level..no smell from tail pipe..engine runs great mpg no change.

Drove 3hrs, coolant went down. Topped it up. Drove 3hrs the next day same route coolant ok.........

My R51 is equipped with no rear heater

disallow
Site Admin

Re: 2008 R51 pathfinder coolant smell where the heck is it c

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:18 pm

bog wrote:noticed that rad was low, topped it up..thought it was good to go. After long ride ride stopped for coffee. Had a smell of coolant. Now leaks..decided to let it rest for 30 min. checked on the ground and no leaks..had to top up the rad..rad good the next day..still smell of coolant. Parked on covered snow....no sign of leaks after hours...damn jacket rabbit is drinking my coolant...thought of head gasket but over flow had normal level..no smell from tail pipe..engine runs great mpg no change.

Drove 3hrs, coolant went down. Topped it up. Drove 3hrs the next day same route coolant ok.........

My R51 is equipped with no rear heater
Had a leak on my civic once from the water pump. It dripped onto a hose that had a foam cover. It absorbed the coolant, and prevented any from ever leaking onto the ground. Another possibility is that its dripping onto a hot surface and evaporating. Get it hot and look for steam, from on top and underneath.

Any heater hoses going to the firewall, loose clamps, and maybe even check the heater core, though that would smell pretty bad inside the cab.

t

bog

Postby bog » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:01 am

I will check it all and let you know.

Thanks for the tip

2008PatherfinderS

Postby 2008PatherfinderS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Check the transmission fluid. The radiators in the 05-08 models have been known to leak internally into the part of the radiator that is the transmission cooler.

Steve

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:25 pm

2008PatherfinderS wrote:Check the transmission fluid. The radiators in the 05-08 models have been known to leak internally into the part of the radiator that is the transmission cooler.

Steve
He probably wouldn't be smelling coolant if this was the case.

t

gkb62001

Postby gkb62001 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:13 am

Getting any moisture out of the vents? Maybe a cracked heater core is leaking fluid into the evaporator.

PhatFront

Postby PhatFront » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:57 pm

if your smelling it inside - sounds like a heater core to me.
That is not a fun job either!! :(

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:55 pm

I notice it on mine too. I think it seeps a little around the cap on the radiator. I replaced the cap but it still seems to seep a little. The level never really drops but I still smell coolant.

pyrophilus

Postby pyrophilus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 am

I am having the same problem on my 2005 R51.
wife complained aobut heater not working while at idle, so I checked coolant level, it was low. I had to pu tin about 3/4 gallon to re-fill.

Since then, everything works fine, but I smell coolant. nder the car, I notice drops at the right rear strut. I thought it was a busted strut, but it smells and looks like coolant...

The leak is so little that the only place I notice leak is when car is parked overnight in our driveway, there is a small bit of coolant nera the rear right side wheel.

I am at a loss to what is causing this...

05pathyse

Postby 05pathyse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:43 am

I was smelling coolant after long drives. When i dropped the skid plate to do the trans bybass i noticed along the bottom of the radiator has been leaking no signs on the ground when parked. I have a new aftermarket radiator ordered to solve the issue.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:29 pm

for you guys that have rear air, the coolant lines route through the front wheel well area.....

Also the early production ones had a air bleed in the heater line right near the firewall on the passenger side - everyone of them leaks to some degree...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Any pictures of the said area? I don't have a problem with mine, but it'd be nice to have some pics to show the problem area if it were to ever happen.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”