mtbpath

service engine soon light is on

Postby mtbpath » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:20 pm

service engine soon light is on solid.
mileage is only 54000.
still within my last oil change
I filled up tank, made one stop and the light came on
I read the book, I checked my fuel cap, its on, maybe it has a leak or bad seal
are there any other ideas what the light means?
or take it to dealer and let them figure it out
would it be safe to unplug battery? but the light came on for a reason, correct?
thanks

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 pm

If your sure your gas cap is on tight and not leaking you could always take it to a place like autozone,pep boys, and they usually scan it for free and tell you what the code is.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:51 am

NYPathfinder wrote:If your sure your gas cap is on tight and not leaking you could always take it to a place like autozone,pep boys, and they usually scan it for free and tell you what the code is.
I 2nd that

SilverGhost

Re: service engine soon light is on

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:25 pm

mtbpath wrote:service engine soon light is on solid.
mileage is only 54000.
still within my last oil change
I filled up tank, made one stop and the light came on
I read the book, I checked my fuel cap, its on, maybe it has a leak or bad seal
are there any other ideas what the light means?
or take it to dealer and let them figure it out
would it be safe to unplug battery? but the light came on for a reason, correct?
thanks
First, there's nothing about disconnecting the negative battery cable that will harm anything. Yeah, you'll lose your radio pre-sets and the clock will be screwed, but that's about it.

Second, just because the fuel filler cap is on tight doesn't mean that it's sealed properly. Remove it, then re-install it and turn past 3-4 clicks. I've read that it takes more than a few miles for the CE light to reset after doing that, if that is, in fact, the issue with yours. Personally, I've never experienced the problem. 8)

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:47 am

NYPathfinder wrote:If you're sure your gas cap is on tight and not leaking, you could always take it to a place like autozone,pep boys, and they usually scan it for free and tell you what the code is.
3rd that. get error codes & post em back here..

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:20 am

I just had mine pop on last week as well. I pulled the codes and it was something to the effect of the gas cap. I reset the code and it's never come back. I recommend anyone buy a Scanguage so they can read their own codes, diagnose problems, and also get a lot of real-time data from the vehicle. Best $150 you can spend.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:05 pm

I agree with buying a scan tool. You don't even have to buy the 150 tool. Autozone used to sell one that was 30/40 dollars that it would read the code, then you would just come online and type in the code and find out the problem.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:21 pm

dropping off car Monday morning.
it could be the fuel sensor reader. why you ask?
went to top off my half tank.
after I filled up and drove away, the fuel needle dropped to empty and empty light came on.
of course I know its an error due to the fact I filled up.
and this is possibly why the service light is on.
drove about 40 miles to my destination and when i got back into car and left, the needle was at full and empty light off.
won't know the truth until the dealer do their service.
I will post results later in the week.

gilliam433

Postby gilliam433 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Im in the exact same boat. Within the last week, after I filled up, the fuel guage showed I was empty...then today my Service Light came on.

Im going to call Nissan in the morning. Mine is a 2006 and it seems there may be a recall with the floater in the fuel tank that tells the fuel level.

Hopefully Nissan will take care of it for me, but who knows...

mtbpath

Fuel sender sensor failed

Postby mtbpath » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:00 pm

the check engine light was a fuel sender sensor unit.
basically affecting the fuel gauge. it will give you a false reading.
it was replaced for free under Nissan. they issued an extended warranty for this unit.
can't remember exactly, but they extended I believe 1 more year and another 15000 miles, something like that.
so, hopefully you don't get this problem and if you do, hope it falls within the extended warranty period.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:08 pm

So it was just the fuel level sensor that was bad not the fuel pump. Good to see that it was covered under warranty.

07Finder

Postby 07Finder » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:16 am

Mine is the Fuel Relay Sensor. You're fortunate to have it under warranty. I called 3k miles after the warranty expired. I just bought the vehicle and the first fill up the light came on. Found out it was that. Called and they "studied my case" and found that I'm past the extended warranty and blah blah blah. Tell ya what. I didn't want to buy a Toyota because of the price. But I may consider it from the customer stand point of the MFG.

The guy at the dealership though is top notch. He thought it was pretty crappy that they weren't going to cover it and agrees that they should cover it with it being so close to the milage. He actually cut me a break on the cost of the service (from $70 to 40).

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:22 am

That was nice of the dealer. He could have been a jerk like lots of service techs and hit you with the full price.

dine52

Postby dine52 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:42 am

well. the engine type, manufacturer, type of fuel used and other engine related details will be more helpful to suggest better solution.

lorenjjjjj

service engine soon light is on solid.

Postby lorenjjjjj » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:32 am

My service light is on and has been for 11 months. I took it in 3 times to have the code read and they said it is a gas cap. They reset it I changed the Gas cap and the message is still there.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”