Sloppy handling needs fixed. Looking for opinions

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Morio

Sloppy handling needs fixed. Looking for opinions

Postby Morio » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:47 pm

My 2009 has way too much body roll... Feels very unstable.... I need to decide if I am going to lower it and make it street machine or lift it and look pre runner capable.....

My last daily was a lifted discovery... Emu springs and bilsteins... I loved it.. Handled well..... But since my pathfinder is a 2wd... I thought I might change it up.... The purpose for my pathfinder is daily hwy machine.... Any thoughts?

Springs? Coil overs? Shocks? Etc...

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Sloppy handling needs fixed. Looking for opinions

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Morio wrote:My 2009 has way too much body roll... Feels very unstable.... I need to decide if I am going to lower it and make it street machine or lift it and look pre runner capable.....

My last daily was a lifted discovery... Emu springs and bilsteins... I loved it.. Handled well..... But since my pathfinder is a 2wd... I thought I might change it up.... The purpose for my pathfinder is daily hwy machine.... Any thoughts?

Springs? Coil overs? Shocks? Etc...
Cheapest option is to replace shocks with Bilsteins and add the Airlift 1000 as referenced in a couple articles here on the forum.

Should be about $200 in parts.

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:37 pm

As already mentioned, use the airlift, or upgrade the springs. IMHO don't lower the pathfinder.

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Okay, might be a really dumb question. Is there a difference between the 2wd shocks and 4wd? I know on other models there is but haven't looked into it on the pathfinder. I swear my 05 2wd was way sloppier in the corners than the 4wd, but the 4wd is significantly slower, especially in 4wd, it needs more torque to get all that extra drive train moving.

Alex

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 pm

I don't thinks so. What works on a 4x4 should work on 2wd.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:33 am

IMHO don't lower the pathfinder.
I just installed H&R Sport springs on my '05. As far as lowering, they didnt do much at all. The rear I measured a 1 inch drop. Front is about 1/8th of an inch. The appearance is subtle and hardly noticeable. The handling is an entirely different story...

I still have the stock shocks/ struts yet the body roll is waaay less. First day with the springs, I seriously wanted to take my Pathy on a slalom course.

Next step will be a set of KYB's all the way around. I am sure all family car/ suv handling will be gone after that.

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:57 pm

go less tire sidewall

Morio

Postby Morio » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses!!

I am definitely going to go with the h&r sport springs and some new shocks.... I need to look into kyb, bilstiens and koni and see who has what available.

I plan on not using airlift since I currently have a car on full air ride..... Wife will not be happy if I started that process again :)

I am trying to find some wheels now to reduce the side wall of tire (and of course upgrade)

Any places online you all recommend?

serturbo

Postby serturbo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Morio wrote:I plan on not using airlift since I currently have a car on full air ride..... Wife will not be happy if I started that process again :)
The Air Lift system isn't an air bag only suspension system. It's an air bag that works with your existing suspension to help stiffen it up.

Morio

Postby Morio » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:50 pm

serturbo wrote:
Morio wrote:I plan on not using airlift since I currently have a car on full air ride..... Wife will not be happy if I started that process again :)
The Air Lift system isn't an air bag only suspension system. It's an air bag that works with your existing suspension to help stiffen it up.
I understand what it is..... I wouldn't let it be with the basic kit..... I would end up buying all the bells and whistles with it.....

When I went air ride on my Audi, I had custom air struts built from a company in Austria..... I get a little bit OCD on components and suspension parts... So I was told.... No air for my daily.... The boss (my wife) has spoken :p

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm

That sucks. I do understand your point. :cry:

serturbo

Postby serturbo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Morio wrote:I understand what it is..... I wouldn't let it be with the basic kit..... I would end up buying all the bells and whistles with it.....

When I went air ride on my Audi, I had custom air struts built from a company in Austria..... I get a little bit OCD on components and suspension parts... So I was told.... No air for my daily.... The boss (my wife) has spoken :p
LOL. Doesn't she know you can go even crazier with a non-air suspension? Custom arms, links, coilovers, etc.

jlwardn

Postby jlwardn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:35 pm

What Bilstein shocks are you guys putting on. I was on their website and they only show one shock for RWD only. P/N 24/186919. I called a few places that tell them and they did not have anything so they called their Bilstein Rep and confirmed 4x2 only....nothing for 4x4.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:57 pm

That's crazy that they are only for 2wd.

Morio

Postby Morio » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:42 pm

serturbo wrote:
Morio wrote:I understand what it is..... I wouldn't let it be with the basic kit..... I would end up buying all the bells and whistles with it.....

LOL. Doesn't she know you can go even crazier with a non-air suspension? Custom arms, links, coilovers, etc.
Yeah which is also why I am not in SCCA racing anymore.... I was in ITB with VW sciroccos..... Spent way too much money :p

I can do springs and shocks for my daily..... So that is what I plan on doing :) but she didn't say anything about the stillen supercharger :p

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”