so i blew my engine...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mar1
Sponsored Member

so i blew my engine...

Postby mar1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:08 am

well 3 years of offroading have finally caught up with me.

2 weeks ago i saw the pathy swimming in a pool of green water. i filled her up and took her to Nissan to change the water pump. (happened twice before so i didnt even look to see where the water was coming from)
3 days at Nissan, and they change the pump and inform me that the timing chain is making noise. 2 days after that, they tell me its "undergoing some repair"

long story short, this is the list of items changed:
timing chain
timing cover
water pump
auto tensioner
auto tensioner guide
intake valve solenoid
camshaft intake sprocket L/R
cam sensors L/R
drive belt

so i receive the car thursday night. Friday night im driving to a Faithless party (which was fcking awesome btw :wink: ) and i hear a small grinding noise exactly at 3000 rpm. similar to the noise a fan makes when its touching the cover. the noise becomes louder and i try to find a place to park. i was in a one way lane and 3 million cars behind me coming to see Faithless so i couldnt find a spot to park and had to drive it maybe half a mile till i managed to stop.

the noise was now coming at all rpms and even at idling. tow trucked it to Nissan that tell me the head and the cylinders are fucked. been a week now with no news on what exactly is the problem.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Hmmm, was it from shoddy workmanship at the dealership?

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Sorry to hear that man.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:34 pm

it appears so cause the guys had a service manual open up in front of them when fixing it, and every few minutes the guy in red suspenders calls a guy in a white Nissan shirt to come inspect.
didnt really trust their work. :?

but the service manager called me in and apologized. gave me a coffee and Qashqai replacement car till its get fixed under warranty. gonna take maybe 3 weeks. i asked for a GTR but they said no :(

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:27 am

How dare they say no to a GTR after they put you through that mess! I hope at least they get it taken care of for you.

Npath

Postby Npath » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:44 am

Sounds like you will be getting a new engine.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:11 am

i was wondering about that actually.
i have till november till my 3 year warranty expires, and my mileage is still way under.

do they replace it with a brand new engine, or do they get a used engine from the same year?

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:46 am

mar1 wrote:i was wondering about that actually.
i have till november till my 3 year warranty expires, and my mileage is still way under.

do they replace it with a brand new engine, or do they get a used engine from the same year?
Better be new if its still under warranty!

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Hopefully a new engine with a new factory sealed water pump!

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:55 pm

I GUARANTEE they didn't line up the left cam VDC spocket correctly, damaged the pin/dowel and the cam. Once the hole is f'd, you need a cam. If the cam actually snapped (which is very possible), they also need to send the head out.

The new policy as of a couple months ago is no long blocks unless approved by Nissan. Hopefully it's so f'd it needs a block. If you want some keywords to throw at them...lemme know....

FYI - Long block job is about 10G's

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Should get a new engine if under warranty.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Tech wrote:I GUARANTEE they didn't line up the left cam VDC spocket correctly, damaged the pin/dowel and the cam. Once the hole is f'd, you need a cam. If the cam actually snapped (which is very possible), they also need to send the head out.

The new policy as of a couple months ago is no long blocks unless approved by Nissan. Hopefully it's so f'd it needs a block. If you want some keywords to throw at them...lemme know....

FYI - Long block job is about 10G's

last they told me is that the head needs replacement, and the new cam they installed 2 days prior also needs changing. Nissan here seem to have no clue and sent some parts to Nissan Middle East for "checking".
its been 10 days no reply yet from NissanME.

for keywords, they're already guessing with the very few keywords i already know.
ill let you know the update of the story.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:01 am

Mar, that sucks. I would be worried as hell that they don't do the job correctly, especially after your description of how they work. I'm guessing that the new work will have some sort of warranty attached? Let us know how it goes.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:44 am

well the approval came in as "engine overhaul" and they started.

pix so far:

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 am

Oh shoot,,

sorry to hear that Marwan,,which branch did you go to?? the one in deira or ras al khor??

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”