No Heat/AC

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

plecoso

No Heat/AC

Postby plecoso » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Greetings,

I have a 2005 Pathfinder se and recently there is no heat or ac coming through the vents even at high setting. Sometimes after awhile it will finally kick in or when I hit the top of the dash, it would work. The rear air does work. Do you think it's a blower motor for the front?

If so....is there anyway to switch the rear to the front (I don't need air for the rear as this is my work vehicle and do not transport people). Also...how easy or hard to replace the blower motor if this is the problem? Any instructions if possible.

TIA!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:44 pm

To me it sounds more like a blower motor resistor. If you can hit the dash and it works, something is being bumped to make it work again. Try looking into a blower motor resistor.

plecoso

Postby plecoso » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Thanks for the info. I have no clue where the blower motor or blower motor resistor is. Can you point out where on the car I can get to the blower motor resistor? Thanks much!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 pm

The blower motor and resistor should be on the passenger side underneath the dash. Here is a site of what the resistor looks like:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/detai ... widIZducL6

You might try some of the dealers that are on this forum and get an OEM part for probably the same price. Basically the reisitor has a connector and two screws/bolts that hold it in.

The only question, do you have automatic air controls or standard? Not sure when they started the auto controls, my 08 has it, and the resistor for those are over $100.

plecoso

Postby plecoso » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Awesome...thanks again! Anyway to test if it is the resistor? I would hate to buy the part and find out it's not the resistor. Just checking....

I do have automatic as my climate controls looks like this:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:33 pm

I believe so. The biggest difference is that you can select different temps for the drive and the passenger. There are ways to test them. Most ways involve using an Ohm meter. However I've never looked at the resistor on the pathfinder before. I've done it on older cars. You might see if there is a hanes/chilton's manual for the pathfinder as that will tell you the exact location and alos how to test them, usually.

plecoso

Postby plecoso » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks again for the help.

Do you or anyone know if the blower motor for the rear vents is exactly the same for the front? Reason is I might remove the rear resistor and test it on the front to see if it works. If so...than I know it's the resistor. Also....anyone know where the blower motor for the rear vents is located.

Thanks again!

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 pm

plecoso wrote:Thanks again for the help.

Do you or anyone know if the blower motor for the rear vents is exactly the same for the front? Reason is I might remove the rear resistor and test it on the front to see if it works. If so...than I know it's the resistor. Also....anyone know where the blower motor for the rear vents is located.

Thanks again!
It's pretty tough to access the rear a/c - heater blower motor. You have to remove a bit of interior trim to get to it. I don't recomend trying that unless you are experienced with interior trim removal.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:54 pm

Not sure where the rear blower motor and resistor are located. Hopefully you can figure this out. You might check your local junk yard and see if they have any pathfinders and take the resistor from them. It's worth a shot. I think I did that before and the guy just let me take it for my old car. Worth a shot.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:02 pm

The rear a/c - heater unit is located behind the trim inside the passenger quarter panel..

plecoso

Postby plecoso » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks guys....I guess I'll start off with replacing the resistor first. When I gave my vin to the dealer...they said 2 types of resistor came up (one aluminum and the other not) and so now I have to take it off first to check.

The blower motor is $240 at the dealer and $95 (aftermarket) at the local Autozone. Wonder if I can just get the aftermarket if the blower motor needs replacement.

Also the resistor is $79 at the dealer (OEM) and $55 at autozone (aftermarket).

Do you think aftermarket should be fine? I know some parts it's best to go with OEM...not sure about the resistor and blower motor.

Thanks!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:30 pm

I would try the autozone part, they have a 30 day warranty so keep your reciept, but also hold on to your old one, don't throw it away. I would try the resistor first as I think that is your problem. Then if nothing changes then the blower motor.

webbl19

Postby webbl19 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Hello everyone. New here.

I have a 06 Path with auto air that has this same problem. During the winter it worked intermittently. Hitting the blower itself usually made it turn back on, sometimes just hitting a bump.

Anyway, now its not working at all. I have been doing some tests. If i jump the blower to the battery the blower works just fine. So i know its not the blower now, like i first thought.

I connected my volt meter to the plug that plugs into the motor and i get 0V, im even getting 0V on the fuses.

Would this also be a resistor issue? Maybe the resistor has shorted out or something? I dunno. Seems like i should get volts at the fuse's anytime the blower should be on, right?

Thanks for any info.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Sounds like it could be the resistor. It's not completing the circuit so you are getting a 0 reading.

webbl19

Postby webbl19 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 pm

I think you are right. I took it off and took it apart, and kind of just wiggled the main .004 ohm resistor on the inside, plugged it back in and its blowing.

And on the models with auto air, it is called a Variable Blower Control. The rear blower uses a resistor.

The models with manual air use the resistor.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”